To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confusion with syncing while having an account

Options
Biscut
Biscut
Community Member

Hello. Please help.

I have a 1Password account, a couple of Macs and multiple iPhones and iPads. I've read that everything is supposed to be synced if you just have an account, but somewhere along the line my passwords got out of sync. (I think it might have been when I moved from the purchased version to subscription version, or an update after that—I remember there being a caution I read somewhere, but time passed and I never got it fixed properly.) I'm not sure what to do. I'm signed in on multiple devices, but those devices are not synced with each other. At least one is synced to Dropbox, but not others. I have two vaults. Actually I only need one, with everything in sync, but somehow I got two (Personal and Primary). How can I merge all the vaults, make sure I have the most current passwords (probably spread between the devices), and get things working properly from this point forward?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6, iOS 11.4.1
Sync Type: Account/Dropbox

Comments

• jillsjoy
    jillsjoy
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I have been a happy user for many years; but this membership is not working. My Personal vault is not synching.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@biscuit: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Indeed, with a 1Password.com account, everything in the account is sync'd to your devices signed into it — but only data which you've saved in the account; if you have a Primary vault on any devices, that's completely separate from your account. Dropbox is also not involved with 1Password.com. You provided version information for your Mac, but presumably there are other devices involved, so if you're still having trouble let me know the specifics so I can give you next steps.

However, if you're able to confirm that you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account (sign into the website to be sure), then it may be a simple matter of following the last part of the migration guide, making sure you're signed into your account on each device and remove the Primary vault from them as well. Let me know how it goes. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jillsjoy: Thanks for getting in touch! Do you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account (sign into the website to be sure)? If so, you can following the last part of the migration guide to make sure you're signed into your account on each device and remove the Primary vault. If you're still having trouble, please let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on each device, and the specific steps you're having difficulty with. We'll get you sorted. :)

• Biscut
    Biscut
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, brenty. I see now that my Primary vault is not listed when I log into my 1Password account online. My devices seem to have both Personal and Primary vaults. Primary is "On my Mac" (Mac) or "On Dropbox" (iPhone). The Mac I'm using now says in Preferences, "Always open to: Personal" but "Vault for Saving: Primary." But there really should only be one vault, as I don't divide up my passwords for any organizational purpose. Instead, different devices have been saving and updating one or the other for months and months, creating a mess. I want to merge everything back into one vault and make sure the passwords are all current and all logins, etc., are there.

Perhaps the mix-up resulted in my worry about deleting my old vault when I upgraded (seemed drastic in case I didn't have it right). But then the old one got used on certain devices.

I'm not sure I follow with the link you gave with the migration guide. I'm not adding any new accounts. I've had the 1Password.com account for quite some time. Any other ideas on how to merge everything back into one vault and make sure the passwords are all current and all logins, etc., are there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, brenty. I see now that my Primary vault is not listed when I log into my 1Password account online. My devices seem to have both Personal and Primary vaults. Primary is "On my Mac" (Mac) or "On Dropbox" (iPhone). The Mac I'm using now says in Preferences, "Always open to: Personal" but "Vault for Saving: Primary." But there really should only be one vault, as I don't divide up my passwords for any organizational purpose. Instead, different devices have been saving and updating one or the other for months and months, creating a mess. I want to merge everything back into one vault and make sure the passwords are all current and all logins, etc., are there.

@Biscut: No matter what, if you "merge" the data in both vaults, you're going to end up with duplicates. Some of that 1Password may be able to help you clean up (in the Help menu: Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items), but that won't work for items that you've changed since 1Password has no way of knowing which you would want to keep; you'll need to go through and delete any you don't want. It will be easiest if you select the items you want in your Primary vault and then move them to the Personal vault. That way yo'll have everything you need in your account, and from there you can remove anything you don't want to keep.

Perhaps the mix-up resulted in my worry about deleting my old vault when I upgraded (seemed drastic in case I didn't have it right). But then the old one got used on certain devices.

If you have your original vault saved somewhere else (Dropbox, iCloud, other devices) you wouldn't lose anything by removing it only from the app, but I get where you're coming from. When in doubt, reach out.

I'm not sure I follow with the link you gave with the migration guide. I'm not adding any new accounts. I've had the 1Password.com account for quite some time. Any other ideas on how to merge everything back into one vault and make sure the passwords are all current and all logins, etc., are there?

I linked you directly to the last section of the guide, "Set up your other devices", which gives you instructions for each platform to sign into your account and remove the Primary vault. Definitely do that once you've got everything you need in your account:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Not knowing what you're using and where you have the data you want, I can't really offer specifics, but that covers all of them. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.