Why does the browser/mini floating window no longer open where the mouse is?

m_w
m_w
Community Member

Can't remember when exactly this change was introduced but the current behaviour of the browser extension and mini is rather annoying.

Previously, when you clicked on the 1Pwd icon in your browser toolbar or the 1Pwd mini icon in the macOS toolbar then 1Pwd opened right there; but now the floating window opens wherever I moved it to last. This doesn't make sense from an UI perspective; when I click on the icon my mouse is at the icon; therefore, it makes sense to open the window next to the mouse to minimise mouse movement.

I don't mind that your can move the window out of the way once it's opened as this can be useful sometimes; but it should always open from where the icon and mouse are.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on this with us, and I will certainly pass along your thoughts regarding this, but this one falls squarely in the "matter of opinion" category as far as I can see. In future releases, 1Password will be able to integrate with apps other than just your browser(s), so it may be more helpful to have it appearing in various positions on your screen. There are also multiple ways to invoke the 1Password mini -- the fastest of these being the keyboard shortcuts ⌘\ and ⌥⌘\, which have no point of reference regarding mouse-position. In fact, using those keyboard shortcuts, it might be equally jarring to have the mini appear down next to the trash or wherever else the mouse happened to be at the time.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

@Lars - I agree, it's less useful to use the mouse position as opening position when using short cuts; but these are 2 different use cases. 1Pwd should be able to distinguish whether it was triggered by clicking on the browser or macOS menu icon with the mouse or keyboard shortcut. Therefore the behaviour can be adjusted; when triggered via the icon it should open from where the icon is and if triggered by keyboard short cut then I would suggest it should open from where the macOS menu icon is.

• I’m sure it could make such a determination, but doing so adds complexity to the code. I don’t believe that is something we’re going to introduce at this point, but as Lars mentioned we’ll continue to evaluate how this works as well as any additional feedback we receive on the subject.

Thanks.

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

@Ben - please consider that people's computer screens are a lot bigger nowadays so travelling with your mouse for one edge to the other can be quite time consuming and often requires lifting and repositioning your mouse; also many people nowadays don't just have one monitor but 2 or even 3. All the more important then to have 1Pwd open where you click as the browser could be on one monitor and 1Pwd opening on another.

Therefore I suggest the behaviour should be like this:

• when clicking on the 1Pwd icon in the browser or macOS menu bar, open 1Pwd from the icon position
    • when triggering 1Pwd from a keyboard shortcut then open it in the centre of the screen that currently has the focus (to cover multi-display scenarios)
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - I will mention it to the developers, thanks for the suggestions. :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• unununium
    unununium
    Community Member

I have downgraded to 1password 6 because of this. It really is annoying when trying to fill in logins/credit cards on websites. Especially since I have been using the workflow for so long. Who knew the extra mouse travel could be so aggravating!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @unununium! Thanks for the feedback. You can place the mini anywhere on your screen you choose, and it should pop up in that same location the next time you invoke it. Some people have used this to mimic the previous behavior of the mini in 1Password 6 for Mac (dropping down from the browser's menubar), and others have done different things with it.

Since you're new here, I'll repeat what's been posted elsewhere, which is that we can't in good conscience recommend people intentionally revert to a legacy version of 1Password. Obviously, we can't stop people from doing so - and we wouldn't even if we could - but we also can't recommend such a strategy. But if mouse travel time/distance/effort is an issue for you in 1Password 7 for Mac, I'd recommend getting used to the keyboard shortcuts, as it's by far the fastest way to navigate around 1Password (or any application for that matter), and isn't dependent on placing a cursor anywhere in particular.

• unununium
    unununium
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @Lars. I am aware that I can move the window where I want. But I cannot have the window in different places based on if I click on it from the menu bar or from the browser shortcut. This also becomes an annoyance when I switch my monitor setups: Laptop screen only, single/dual 1440p, dual 1080p. I can always expect the v6 'mini' to be in the same place always. Not the case on v7.

Also, the window is so large (relatively) and obtuse that it becomes an annoyance simply because it covers a large portion of the screen. There is nothing 'mini' about it anymore.

I definitely use the keyboard shortcuts, but I don't always have my hands on the keyboard when I am browsing/shopping in the browser.

I would love to revert back to 7, but this issue is a deal breaker for me personally to upgrade. I will keep updated with the patch notes if this ever gets addressed. Does 1password have a public issue tracker? I understand if 1password has no plans to ever fix/re-implement this, but that would be nice to know.

• @unununium

We do not have a public issue tracker and we generally do not comment on future changes / features. I honestly couldn't say for sure if this is something we'll see in 1Password 7 but I can say that we'll consider the request.

Thanks.

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

I said it in my first post and it's still annoying. It just doesn't make sense that I click in one location and the expected popup opens in a different location.

Please fix this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@m_w

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while we cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

thanks @ag_ana

• :+1: :)

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

I have noticed that 7.3 has now implemented my request so that the 1Pwd mini appears again where you click. Thank you :)

• You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.