Folder Structure Lost After Agilekeychain to OPvault Conversion

Hi ABSupport!

Previous State:

Pre-conversion, my Agilekeychain vault had maybe a 15 top-level folders with some sub-folders as deep as four or five levels. Via Dropbox sync, the folder structure displayed correctly on Windows (4.6.2.626 (thank you for not forcing use of 1Password.com accounts)) and Android (something pre-7.0.4).

What Changed:

Upon updating my 1Password Professional subscription Android App to 7.0.4 on C. 9/14/2018 I was offered and accepted conversion from agilekeychain to opvault on my SM-G960U at Android 8.0.0 w/ sec patch level 8/1/2018. Note: updated to 7.0.5 as of 2-seconds ago and problem remains.

Current State:

1Pwd for Android no longer has folder structure and AFAIK only uses tags (N.B. I hate tags compared to folders; how about 'both,' like 1Pwd used to have?).
1Pwd for Windows, after selecting the new OPVault, no longer has my custom folder structures; only "All," "Unassigned," and "Trash." The total number of items appears to be roughly correct at just over 600.
Everything else, i.e. other feature I regularly use, seems to be working correctly.

Desired State:

Return of my old folder structure in 1Pwd for Windows (since this is the Windows forum), without having to manually rearrange 600+ items from memory.

Probably something I did but I'd prefer your guidance if you recommend a vault re-do. I am hamstrung for now, but without my 1Pwd... I die... and the near truth of that statement makes me think you don't charge enough. ;-)

Steve

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win10Pro 64bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Steve_R,

Thanks for writing in.

Folders are converted to be nested tags in your OPVault, there isn't a way to revert to the folder structure in the same OPVault. Folders are phased out from all 1Password 7 apps completely in exchange for nested tags. 1Password 7 for Android doesn't nest tags yet but it is coming in a future update.

1Password 4 was not designed with tags (it was built prior to OPVault/tags being a thing) but it does show up. If you press Alt + Down in the search field of 1Password 4 desktop program, you'll see the flat tag structure that looks like the flat version of your folders. 1Password Helper for your 1Password extension support navigating tags already.

In 1Password 7 for Windows which supports standalone vaults/licenses now, it was actually built with OPVault in mind and supports nested tags as shown in this screenshot:

However, 1Password 7 is not a free upgrade on Windows. Have you consider trying to install 1Password 7 and give it a try (it is free as read-only) and see if it works for you? If yes, you could purchase a license and that may be the easier method forward.

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Mike,

You have addressed my concerns.
    -- Alt + Down in 1Pwd4-Win is a help.
    -- Likewise, I see Tag-browse in the browser extension as 'usable.'

Nested tags seem like a great solution to the transition away from folders. I am considering the 1Pwd7 trial you recommend.

Thank you for your very quick, thorough and helpful reply!

Regards,
    Steve

P.S. I'm getting more used to suffering through providers shifting from folders to tags... so maybe one day I'll transition enough to not have it be 'suffering' anymore.

Here's a (poorly written) user story that won't matter in the current tags trend:
    As a visual person who organizes by standard display formats, I not only like detail-rich highly info-dense displays (as opposed to material design's excessive white space), but I rely on visual cues to trigger memory. Therefore I want GUI content to stay in the same place (stop moving the delete button in every mail client update google!), and I want a collapsible tree structure (nested tags would suffice) so that I can drill down by memory a level at a time without the visual overload of a flat tag list (my Outlook email folder structure, with 15 top level folders, spans 1000's of lines as a flat list when imported to gmail; what was once organized is now totally unusable -- thanks google). I also want an advanced search function to filter on all record fields in case memory mostly fails. To me tags is an exercise in human memory that googlites may not care about now but will surely suffer from when the millennial cadre reaches retirement age and the associated mental fall off. <here ends today's anti-google rant>

No offense at all meant to AgileBits -- still love you guys totally! You didn't set the trend and I understand that you must follow it from market obligation and also, with OPvault's advances and 1Pwd4's hard-coded limitations, from necessity in security.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No offense taken! My personal pet peeve is the prevalence of UI elements that actually move around when I interact with them in Google's software... :lol: Anyway, I get where you're coming from, but a great advantage of tags is that they're a lot more flexible for different uses. I'm sure we'll both be able to adjust in time. Thanks for the kind words! :)

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

1.)
    Is it possible to add a "tags" field to the 1Pwd4-Win main window display: Title | Location | Password | Modified | (TAGS)?

I ask because in my 1Pwd4-Win (stand alone) search efforts today, even using the Alt+Down filter option, were unable to meet my critical minimum needs.

I could offer a user story but maybe this is a quick "No" due to architecture, so simple Q&A first, please.

2.)
    Because I was not anticipating the loss of folder structure in the update, is it possible for me revert temporarily to Agilekeychain in 1Pwd4-Win so I can get re-organized for a transition to a 1Pwd-7-Win family subscription?

I understand and am willing to accept the security risks of the old versus new style vault, but I do not want to risk accidentally corrupting any vault. I tried pointing 1Pwd4-Win to the pre-conversion Agilekeychain vault but got "1Password has encounter a problem. "c:\users...agilekeychain" does not exist."

Should any of these topics be new threads or do they still fall under folder-to-tag in 1Pwd4-Win?

Thanks!
    Steve

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

Dear Gentle Gurus at AB Support,

Search with Alt+Down tag filter fails to meet my minimum critical need -- could a Tags column be added to the 1Pwd4-Win display, or is this prohibited by legacy architecture?

Can I revert from OPvault to my pre-conversion Agilekeychain?

Despite suggested work-arounds, I am being crippled by the unanticipated flattening of my folder structure.

Regards,
    Steve

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

I also note that post-conversion, all entries report a Modified date of the date of conversion, thus causing a loss of all date-related info. Perhaps this could be amended in the conversion process.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_R: 1Password 4 definitely isn't going to get any new features. The main reason we built the brand new 1Password app to succeed it is because there were a lot of limitations of the old tools and code we were using previously, and creating a new app from scratch allowed us to start with a clean slate using current technologies to give us more flexibility for our Windows app today and for years to come.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you were caught off guard by those changes, and also the new vault having a time stamp reflecting when it was created. But there are drawbacks either way, and this is the best way forward. You can absolutely continue using your original AgileKeychain vault with 1Password 4 if you prefer, but recent versions will only work with OPVault. So if you're syncing with anything current on other devices you will run into that roadblock sooner or later.

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

1.)
    Is it possible to add a "tags" field to the 1Pwd4-Win main window display: Title | Location | Password | Modified | (TAGS)?

I ask because in my 1Pwd4-Win (stand alone) search efforts today, even using the Alt+Down filter option, were unable to meet my critical minimum needs.

I could offer a user story but maybe this is a quick "No" due to architecture, so simple Q&A first, please.

2.)
    Because I was not anticipating the loss of folder structure in the update, is it possible for me revert temporarily to Agilekeychain in 1Pwd4-Win so I can get re-organized for a transition to a 1Pwd-7-Win family subscription?

I understand and am willing to accept the security risks of the old versus new style vault, but I do not want to risk accidentally corrupting any vault. I tried pointing 1Pwd4-Win to the pre-conversion Agilekeychain vault but got "1Password has encounter a problem. "c:\users...agilekeychain" does not exist."

Should any of these topics be new threads or do they still fall under folder-to-tag in 1Pwd4-Win?

Thanks!
    Steve

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

1.)

2.)

Thanks!
    Steve

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_R: I've already answered your first two questions above, but regarding the third, your old vault will be where you left it, but it will have been renamed "legacy" after the OPVault was created. You can rename it again if you want to continue using it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

• You're welcome on behalf of Brenty.

This discussion has been closed.