To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

App has disappeared from computer, cannot log back in?

gfourie
gfourie
Community Member

I purchased 1password probably five years ago or so, I've been using it without error until now, and recently set it up on the computer I'm currently using with data from my iphone. Now I just went to log in and save a new password and the app has somehow vanished from my computer and when I re-installed it, it won't let me log in without providing information I don't seem to possess(It seems to want more than my email and master password, but I can't access those things without paying again). When I purchased the app for my computer and phone initially it was quite expensive and I'm not keen to have to spend even more to pay to use what I've already paid for and BEEN using.

I would much appreciate help logging into my account. How can I do so without paying again?

1Password Version: 7.12
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@gfourie: It isn't possible for 1Password to delete itself, so my concern would be that you accidentally removed it or you've got some other software that did. "Cleaner" apps can be a bit overzealous at times, and "security" software can also remove things due to false positives. No matter what, you don't have to pay for the same version again, so no worries there. But it sounds like you either have installed it from the wrong place (hence you're opening it for the first time; you'll need to install it from the App Store or our website, depending on where you bought it) or whatever deleted the app also deleted its data. if you've got your vault in Dropbox though, that's not a problem. Just choose the Dropbox option from the setup screen, as an existing user, and select your vault there. I think it's still worth it for you to investigate what's deleting stuff on your computer, but that should get you up and running at least. Let me know how it goes. :)

• gfourie
    gfourie
    Community Member

Of course. I'm currently using my father's laptop for school and he has those stupid cleaner things installed. I've attempted to get rid of it but clearly he must have more than one.

It's not giving me a dropbox option anymore, which is the problem. The options it gives me are to scan a setup code or enter my details manually. Is there another way to go about doing this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gfourie: I think you may be running into some confusion because you're using a different version than you purchased. The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only works with 1Password.com memberships, so unless you also have one of those it won't be of use to you. [The 1Password 7 app from our website](https://1password.com/downloads/ works without a membership, but only if you've purchased a license for that version. So if you paid for an older version of 1Password, you'll either need to scroll down and grab the appropriate download, or go to your App Store purchase history and install from there. Let me know what you find!

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Brenty, when you write, "The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only works with 1Password.com memberships", you are clarifying what most of us did not understand and what I believe has led to much of the confusion and frustration in this forum with the software. All previous versions of 1Password all the way back to version 1.0 have offered multiple ways to sync your data. So, it is understandable that most folks who have used previous versions of 1Password would not realize the limitation of this software.

As for myself, I thought that by downloading a "trial version" of the software from the Apple Store, I was being given an opportunity to try out the new version of the software for 30 days. I did not see the need to set up a membership to continue to use the software. So, at the end of the trial period I found myself with a paid subscription that was not linked to any account. You can only imagine my disappointment when I discovered that I could no longer use the software unless I could produce a "secret key" or was willing to take out another subscription in addition to the one for which I already had paid!

My issues with the software are being addressed now in email correspondence by other members of your staff. I only recount them here so that you can understand why some sort of clarification is needed for individuals downloading the software from the Apple Store.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@glindsey -

All previous versions of 1Password all the way back to version 1.0 have offered multiple ways to sync your data.

That's right. And the version of 1Password 7 for Mac when downloaded directly from our downloads page still does, if you choose to use it in standalone mode instead of with a 1password.com account. But as our CEO, Jeff Shiner, explained in this post on our blog announcing the decision, as of version 7, the Mac App Store version of 1Password is now membership-only.

As for myself, I thought that by downloading a "trial version" of the software from the Apple Store, I was being given an opportunity to try out the new version of the software for 30 days.

For most of the time 1Password has been in the Mac App Store, there never was any "trial version" -- it simply cost $49.99 to purchase. In fact, that's one of the limitations of the Mac App Store: for apps with a cost associated, there IS no way to "try before you buy" -- you have to take the plunge, or not at all (even today). Some developers have begun working around this either by making their commercial apps free to download on the Mac App Store but crippling the feature-set unless users make an in-app purchase to unlock "advanced" or "pro" features, or they've offered their own versions on their websites with a time limit built in if users want to try it before purchasing. Both approaches have their drawbacks. That's among the reasons we no longer offer a paid version (standalone) in the Mac App Store: because 1Password is critical software for most users, it's not a trivial cost for a standalone license (as software goes), and there's no way to try before you buy. So we went in another direction: today, there is still no trial of only the 1Password app (standalone), in the Mac App Store. The reason we can offer it free to download there is because it only works with the paid 1password.com membership, which does indeed come with a 30-day trial -- but that's a trial of the membership (which included the software), not the software alone. That's why the Mac App Store description says:

Get a 30-day free trial when you install 1Password. Your subscription lets you use 1Password everywhere...

It's also why the first-run process walks you through the process of setting up a 1password.com membership.

I'm glad colleagues are assisting you via email, please reach out to them if you have additional questions or issues, and thanks for sharing your story. :)

This discussion has been closed.