Documents not stored offline with 1Password Account

2»

Comments

• MarkBernard
    MarkBernard
    Community Member

I've been using 1PW for (seems like) ages now. Just switched from dropbox sync to family account on 1password.com. Took me ages to move (and redo the links) all my entries with attachments. It was easier the SECOND time I did it (first vault I created had no ability to manage permissions -- it was available to everyone in the family. Created another, did anther bunch of moves and fixing links, and deleted the first -- now fixed.)

Then I realized that the attachments aren't available for offline use unless previously downloaded. I can foresee this being a huge aggravation when I need the feature most! I have multiple devices (iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone).

Please add me my vote to those requesting some sort of bulk download.

Even a Category for "has attachment", would be a help to make sure I didn't forget an important one.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MarkBernard: Attachments should have been automatically converted to Documents linked to the original items, so I'd appreciate knowing the version you used to migrate your data to your 1Password.com account and the exact steps you took. That's definitely something we need to fix if it isn't working.

But more to the point, if you select your Documents (Documents category > Select All works) in 1Password for Mac and right-click, you can batch "Download Local Copy". Does that help? :)

• MarkBernard
    MarkBernard
    Community Member

Thanks for the method to download all local copies on my macs. Worked great.

Attachments were all automatically converted to documents as expected -- just not linked to the original items.

The linked document/attachment way of doing things is something I got used to, and where my wife and I have become used to looking for relevant documents.

I can see the document system is much better (except no easy way to bulk download on my iOS devices).

But moving to this new way of doing things will require a little better naming conventions for these documents (which was not required when they were all attached to an item). I appreciate that renaming documents doesn't break the links -- thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the method to download all local copies on my macs. Worked great.

@MarkBernard: Awesome! You're totally welcome. Glad to hear it. :chuffed:

Attachments were all automatically converted to documents as expected -- just not linked to the original items.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd love to know when you migrated, the steps you followed, and the version you used so we can test this to make sure this problem no longer exists — or fix it if it does.

The linked document/attachment way of doing things is something I got used to, and where my wife and I have become used to looking for relevant documents. I can see the document system is much better (except no easy way to bulk download on my iOS devices). But moving to this new way of doing things will require a little better naming conventions for these documents (which was not required when they were all attached to an item). I appreciate that renaming documents doesn't break the links -- thanks!

I hear you. It is a bit difficult to change things when you have an established workflow — especially with more than one person involved. I apologize for the disruption there. I'm not sure I agree that Documents are better yet, but their added flexibility will pay off as we improve the UI and usability. It's a bit of a wash to start, since it means a few tradeoffs, but we'll keep working to make them easier to work with, and the feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I’d love similar “Download All Documents” functionality on iOS. My iOS devices have plenty of free space and it would be really useful to have documents available at all time, especially when connectivity on the go is flaky/absent.

• @XIII: Thanks for the feedback! Documents are an area where there's lots of room for improvement and experimentation and, although we've not done a lot with them recently, we do see a lot of potential in them and I hope the future holds some exciting improvements, both for offline use and documents as a whole. :chuffed:

• hlipnick
    hlipnick
    Community Member

Please please please create a batch download option of offline documents on iOS devices. Like I suspect many of the posters in this thread, over the last 5 or 6 years I've moved a lot of important docs into 1Password (way more than just logins) and I would hate to be without them at an important time. Thanks!

• Thanks for the feedback, @hlipnick. :)

Ben

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

Adding a +1 to the other comments here: it would be great if there was an option to always download documents so they're available for offline use.

My use case is similar to some others—I want to make sure I have access to documents I've stored in 1Password if I'm traveling & without internet. Thanks for considering all the feedback here! Looking forward to seeing what's in store in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for letting us know your thoughts. It's pretty easy in 1Password for Mac to download Documents locally, but not so much on mobile devices. And I agree there's room for improvement across the board. Cheers! :)

ref: apple-658

• hudlow
    hudlow
    Community Member

Another +1 to having a setting to download all documents automatically on iOS. I would really like to use 1Password as a guaranteed way to have critical travel documents available, but having to manually ensure that each is present on my phone is kind of a dealbreaker.

I'm glad that I noticed that it has to download documents before relying on it but—as an added argument—without having noticed, I would have assumed that documents were downloaded as a part of the sync process. In other words, the current behavior is both inconvenient and unintuitive to me; and it could have left me in a jam if I hadn't noticed it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hudlow: Out of curiosity, how many Documents are you talking about here? I have quite a lot, and for that reason I'm relieved that they don't all download automatically to all of my devices. For the few that I do want saved locally, it isn't too much trouble to download them individually. I agree that it would be nice to have a slick solution, but it does seem a bit counterintuitive at the same time.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

FWIW I have <20. Prob <10. Scans of IDs, insurance cards, a few things like that that I want to make sure are on my phone. Not enough to be an issue for storage space.

As with @hudlow, I assumed that they’d automatically be stored on my device, which is why I added them in the first place. Only found otherwise because I happened to dig around in 1Password.

• Thanks @skatch

Ben

• hudlow
    hudlow
    Community Member

@brenty I wouldn't anticipate ever having more than a few dozen—and certainly not enough to worry about the space they would take up on my phone. I probably won't and wouldn't ever use 1Password as a giant document repository. Passports, IDs, prescriptions, insurance cards, and (temporarily significant) travel documents are the sweet spot for me. I don't need 1Password's security or features for—e.g.—decades of tax documentation.

• That is good to hear, as that is the intention of this feature. It isn’t meant to replace general document storage. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on this. We’ll continue to evaluate how folks are using the feature and see what improvements are possible. :+1:

Ben

• BermudaAl
    BermudaAl
    Community Member

Please add the download all documents options to the iOS versions of your apps. We store lots of travel related emergency documents in 1Password and travel to some pretty dicey 3rd world spots in the world on an ongoing basis for work. For us, having access to these documents is critical It's not a "nice to have" it's a "must have."

The "download them manually first" advice we were given is a kludge which has no practical value.

The ability to download documents during the sync process was the reason I chose 1Password over password competitors. I was dismayed that the promised "sync your vault across your devices feature" doesn't actually do what was promised. It only syncs part of your Vault. When I'm without internet access, I'd much rather have access to my documents than my passwords.

For years we keep hearing 1Password is aware of the demand for this feature and is looking at it. How about some specifics - is it on your roadmap, and if so when. If not, I've got to find something else.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I would appreciate having this option too. As I suggested before, this could be coupled with the Travel Mode, so that every vault that is marked "Save for Travel" would download all documents, when activating Travel Mode.

• How about some specifics - is it on your roadmap, and if so when. If not, I've got to find something else.

It isn't something that we're actively working on, and as such it isn't likely something that'll be available in the near future. We certainly haven't ruled out building such a feature though, and so if time and priorities allow in the future it is something we'd like to add.

Ben

• That's an interesting idea @Manaburner. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Glad when I can help @Ben :)

• :+1:

Ben

• rmblood
    rmblood
    Community Member

I'd like this feature too. I get to the doctor's office and try to pull up the insurance card that I've saved and I can't download it. It would be helpful if it and other similar cards could just be there.

• Thanks for sharing your use case @rmblood.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.