1Password not loading anything - see screenshot

Options

What's the trick to make 1Password work decently on Windows?

I used to have 1Password on Mac and it was great. I don't have a Mac anymore. On Windows, it's almost a catastrophy. The Windows Store version is a calamity.

Also, in Help>About, please enable right click on version number>copy. Basic feature.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @msxtj,

Thanks for reporting this.

Did you just sign in to your 1Password account? If yes, it may take a few moments to populate the UI with your data depending on how large your database is. We do have a bug where after you sign in, the app unintentionally removed the sign-in view (showing the progress bar) before it is ready, this will be fixed in a future update.

If you didn't, do you recall enabling Travel Mode on your 1Password account? It is possible Travel mode is enabled and it is configured not to show any data on the PCs. Trying disabling it and see if it helps.

Try exiting 1Password app and restarting if it has been more than 30 minutes. If it doesn't work, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

The Windows Store version is a calamity.

There is no Microsoft Store version of 1Password, we do have 1Password extension for Edge available but you do have to install the desktop program first before downloading the extension from Microsoft Store. This is a requirement of Microsoft Store, we can't include Edge extensions within our desktop program.

Help>About, please enable right click on version number>copy. Basic feature.

We'll consider adding that feature in a future update.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member
    Options

I have never signed out of my account and I did not enable Travel Mode. Force quitting the 1Password processes in the Task Manager (Resources) did not help either. But what helped was a full restart of my machine.

Btw, the "calamitous" app is indeed the Edge extension. It currently has a rating of 2.4 out of 5 (justified). It's one of the reasons I don't use Edge because I need my passwords.

Anyway, this post is not about the Edge addon. The Windows app needs to be flawless, just like how I found the Mac app.

PS, before restarting, I had also this issue where the 1Password Window was just transparent. Screenshot attached.

PS2: What section of the diagnostic report would be interesting to help debug the issue? I checked the report and there is some sensitive data in there I wouldn't want to send by email. But I can cut out pieces of the report and send you by email.

• Hi @msxtj,

I checked the report and there is some sensitive data in there I wouldn't want to send by email.

It's the dated log file, select yesterday's log and look for errors around the time you signed in yesterday to the desktop program when you saw the issue. Do you see there any errors or you can send us the entire dated log if you're comfortable with that.

But what helped was a full restart of my machine.

PS, before restarting, I had also this issue where the 1Password Window was just transparent.

Interesting, do you recall if there was a pending Windows update? We had some weird glitches that were caused by pending Windows updates and they're "magically" resolved with the restart.

The transparent window is usually a glitch in the Windows' UI subsystem, we haven't been able to reproduce it. A pending Windows update can cause that issue. We've seen identical glitches caused by Intel graphics driver that were addressed in later updates.

As far as we know, these tends to happen to Windows Presentation Framework (WPF) apps on the system level, the apps cannot fix this on their own. We're working on a long term project to move away from WPF to avoid these rare issues.

Anyway, this post is not about the Edge addon. The Windows app needs to be flawless, just like how I found the Mac app.

We're working as fast as we can but the macOS app has several years of development ahead of us. We're heading into the second birthday of the current 1Password for Windows codebase.

However, Windows is far more complex to develop for compared to macOS. We also have to support Windows 7 and later releases, deal with anti-malware solutions that loves to interfere with 1Password, graphic driver issues, and much more that our macOS team never had to deal with, which allows for the rapid development. They're not excuses but they're huge factors in why development is much longer on Windows.

It currently has a rating of 2.4 out of 5 (justified)

Unfortunately, we understand. Microsoft Edge is not designed for offline extensions like 1Password, they're designed mainly for apps hosted within Microsoft Store. We can't host 1Password in that store because of built-in limitations preventing us from providing the full 1Password experience, it'd be far worse. We're working with Microsoft on this and hope to make progress soon to bringing 1Password to the store.

We're also working on bringing 1Password X to Edge that will resolve all issues but it is limited to 1Password memberships only.

This discussion has been closed.