How do i share a secure note in Windows 10?

Options
NorfolknHope
NorfolknHope
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I upgraded my 1Password to V7 recently. In its previous version, i could send secure messages to others who used 1Password. This does not now seem possible. How can I securely send these notes now?
I am running Windows 10, and also use the Android version.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.2.576
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do i share a secure note in Windows 10?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @NorfolknHope,

Thanks for writing in.

Right-click on the item in the item list and select Share to copy/move the item to the shared vault you're using with others.

• NorfolknHope
    NorfolknHope
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that MikeT. However still don't understand how others get to see the shared vault; do they just get an invite or what?

• geekay
    geekay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @NorfolknHope, I just got myself a 1password 7 as well so I may be wrong.

In Windows 10, other users you shared it with may be able to see the shared vault by clicking their username at the top left of their UI (alongside the username is usually with the vault name - by default it seems to be "Private") > then select the intended vault name.

• Hi guys,

The share menu works for both standalone vaults and 1Password accounts, it only shows a list of vaults.

@NorfolknHope, for 1Password.com accounts, you manage your vaults on your 1Password.com website, you invite folks and set up permissions per vault; can they modify, copy, export and more. In the 1Password desktop app, you copy or move items into the shared vault and everyone that has permission to that vault instantly gets it. You can find out more information here: https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/ and if you're using a 1Password Families account, there's a Shared vault already set up: https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

If you're using a standalone vault, you must explicitly manage this yourself; you would have to make a new vault within the 1Password desktop app, give it a strong vault password that has nothing to do with your own master password, and then you save it in the shared folder that you've created with your sync folder, such as a shared folder within Dropbox. That way, everyone has the same copy of the same vault, that means they have access to everything in that vault and they can do whatever they wish to it, you no longer have total control over it. This also means they need to be told what the vault password is, you have to do this securely, call them, use secure chat app and so on. This password sharing is not required for 1Password accounts.

This discussion has been closed.