Can I re-apply the standard template to imported items

Options

I've recently moved to 1Password and imported my SplashID data using the Covert to 1Password utility. The converted items don't have a full set of fields available as if I was creating a new item, but instead just the imported data.

Is there a way to apply the template again so that I have all potential fields available to complete with additional data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @BrummyGit,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Can you attach a screenshot of what you're seeing when you create a new item?

Just to explain, we don't show all fields until you start typing in the field value. This is a known UI glitch that we will fix in a future update; here's what I mean:

The plan is to make the field type available at all time in each field without having to type first.

• BrummyGit
    BrummyGit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding.

When I create a new credit card entry I see the following (which is retained if I save the item)

But if I look at the imported items I only see the labels for entries which were imported (I removed my personal details)

I would like the blank fields for a new item applied to my imported ones so that I know which missing information I should add

• Oh, that is interesting.

That may be unintentional side effect of the converter, it didn't write the empty template values. 1Password 7 imports as is, it doesn't re-apply standard template fields.

@MrC, is this something you can fix on your side? I'll check what we can do on our side but we don't restore missing template fields with the importer, it is not supposed to.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options

@MikeT,

The converters have never had 1Password's defined stock templates, and your templates have changed over the 4 years, and nobody at Agilebits has kept me up to date on these. I don't have any idea which version of 1Password is being targeted.

I'm pretty sure 1Password used to import a 1PIF by creating the new item with all the fields as per template, and then overwrite the items present in the 1PIF. In fact, the Mac side does - here's a software license I'd generated before I added some date conversion code to the software license portion of the csv converter:

Notice that the Purchase Date field remains on import. Once I wrote the code:

Given that you have full control of the templates, and they may change, I'd think the better way is for the 1PIF to contain an option to tell your importer to preserve stock, unfilled fields. On the other hand, if you can guarantee templates are going to be static, and you have a full definition set for me, I'll do what's necessary to provide a complete 1PIF for import.

• Hi @MrC,

Do you recall if this is also an issue with 1Password 4 for Windows too?

I'll check with our team to see what we can do. We intentionally do not modify any data coming into 1Password, including imports. We are pulling templates, especially our recent localized templates, from 1Password.com service, so it's not going to be static for sure. Not to mention custom templates in the near future.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options

@MikeT

I don't ever recall fields being missing when I went to edit items after an import, but it has been long enough now that I'm no longer sure re: 1PW4. My guidance and assistance to others for fields (due to say, data ambiguity that I had to place into notes (such as dates like 08-07-09) was to just move them to the proper fields such as Date Purchased, Expiry, etc.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MikeT

I've tested 1PW4 (latest) and it does indeed eliminate the fields. 1PM7 retains them. So this is a discrepancy between the Windows and macOS version.

• Thanks, we're going to talk internally about the right approach to this. As a general guideline, we're supposed to avoid modifying data on its way into the database. Based on that, the macOS version is in fact modifying the data (even though, it's technically just overwriting defaults with imported data with no data changes).

• d_thomson
    d_thomson
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue using the latest Mac version of 1Password and importing SplashID credit card items. I can't quite figure out from the previous comments whether you think the native import on the Mac version is retaining all the fields or not, but for me it is not and that means I will have to manually copy the fields from the imported record to a new one in order to fix this.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@d_thomson

How did you get your SplashID data into 1Password?

• d_thomson
    d_thomson
    Community Member
    Options

I used the built-in SplashID import in 1Password for Mac (7.2.1).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@d_thomson

That explains the difference. You are using the 1Password native SplasID importer, whereas the method I used was the splashid converter, part of the converter suite. It creates a 1pif file, which is then imported into 1Password.

• d_thomson
    d_thomson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MrC. I downloaded your converter and ran it on OSX; it does not remove the unused fields. It also allowed me to customize some of my field imports, like Combinations->Password instead of Secure Notes.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Very nice, @d_thomson

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.