1P4 and 1P7 on same machine

Options

Can both versions be installed on the same W10 machine during 30 day evaluation period? If not, what is the best way to evaluate a potential upgrade from v4 without making it impossible to revert back. Can you sync back from 1P iOS12 to 1P4 using Sync?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi @Zonker,

Thanks for writing in.

It is not recommended to have both installed at the same time but your 1Password 4 data and backups will not be removed when you uninstall 1Password 4 and install 1Password 7.

In addition, installing 1Password 7 will let you open the standalone vault in read-only mode as we do not offer a trial version. The 30-day trial is only for 1Password.com memberships. You need a license to modify the data, so there's no risk to your 1Password 4 data to see how 1Password 7 works with your vault. You can still fill and use 1Password on your iOS device to modify your data and 1Password 7 will pick it up via its Folder Sync.

Can you sync back from 1P iOS12 to 1P4 using Sync?

Can you clarify what sync? If you're using Dropbox, yes, you can still sync the same OPVault between 1Password 4 and 7 for Windows and 1Password 4-7 for iOS.

• Zonker
    Zonker
    Community Member
    Options

Can you clarify what sync? If you're using Dropbox, yes, you can still sync the same OPVault between 1Password 4 and 7 for Windows and 1Password 4-7 for iOS.

I currently use WLAN Sync between Windows 1P4 and iOS 1P 7.2. Understanding I will lose this sync capability, how would I sync as I don't have a dropbox account. If updates are made on iOS and I decide to go back to 1P4, would the WLAN Sync pick up where it left off before converting to 1P7 and all the changes made on iOS would now be reflected in the 1P4 vault?

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @Zonker,

Dropbox accounts are free to use but at this moment, the sync options between 1Password 7 for iOS and 1Password 7 for Windows are limited to 1Password.com memberships (which includes syncing) and Dropbox. There isn't any other way to sync. If in the future that Apple provides a way to sync a folder on their iOS device, we should be able to use Folder Sync just like we do on Android. The current implementation of Files.app on iOS do not allow for this.

If updates are made on iOS and I decide to go back to 1P4, would the WLAN Sync pick up where it left off before converting to 1P7 and all the changes made on iOS would now be reflected in the 1P4 vault?

Just to be clear, 1Password 4 for Windows support OPVault that 1Password 7 will convert your AgileKeychain format to. So, you can just reuse the same OPVault in 1Password 4 and WLAN sync will sync between both. WLAN Sync uses OPVault format internally anyway.

• bradster62
    bradster62
    Community Member
    Options

I was just reading this thread and thought I might comment on how I use 1PW-4 and 1PW-7 on my Windows PC with standalone 1PW-7 license. I keep 1PW-4 on my PC so I can continue to use WLAN sync with my iPhone. It is crude but it works. I really hope that 1Password reintroduces a sync to the iPhone.

• We hope so too, anything is possible for the future.

This discussion has been closed.