Improve iOS password updating / generating workflow

Ind3X
Ind3X
Community Member

Hi 1PW team

Now that iOS 12 has a password manager API, which has resulted in the much improved password filling feature, are there any plans to improve the password updating / generating workflow?

If possible, it would really be useful if the iOS version had the same password update 'sensing' that the desktop version has, as the existing workflow for updating logins on iOS devices (or even just generating new complex passwords for existing logins) is really clunky, unintuitive, and confusing to non-technical users, such as my non-tech GF, who I have just signed up for a trial subscription.

I make a point of only updating my own passwords on my main computer, so that the extension picks up the changes and updates the existing logins. This is not a problem for me as a desktop is my main machine, whereas my GF predominantly uses iOS devices. It's a hard sell trying to convince her of the benefits of 1PW when its more confusing to use than the (now, further improved) iCloud Keychain.

I'm sure an update such as this would be welcome by many users, although I'm also aware this may, sadly, be a limitation of iOS. Any info would be great (as would any tips on the your best workflow for generating / updating passwords on iOS with minimal fuss).

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member

Apologies, I've just realised I posted this in the Mac forum, supposed to be in iOS.

• Hi @Ind3X

Now that iOS 12 has a password manager API, which has resulted in the much improved password filling feature, are there any plans to improve the password updating / generating workflow?

We are working on an all new password generator but I don’t have further news to share on that at the moment. It is an area in which we’d like to improve.

If possible, it would really be useful if the iOS version had the same password update 'sensing' that the desktop version has, as the existing workflow for updating logins on iOS devices (or even just generating new complex passwords for existing logins) is really clunky, unintuitive, and confusing to non-technical users, such as my non-tech GF, who I have just signed up for a trial subscription.

Unfortunately not possible with the current state of iOS.

As for generating new passwords in Password AutoFill this shouldn’t be that difficult... tap on the form, tap the key icon on top of the keyboard, tap 1password, and then tap create login.

I make a point of only updating my own passwords on my main computer, so that the extension picks up the changes and updates the existing logins. This is not a problem for me as a desktop is my main machine, whereas my GF predominantly uses iOS devices. It's a hard sell trying to convince her of the benefits of 1PW when its more confusing to use than the (now, further improved) iCloud Keychain.

1Password on iOS now works within Password AutoFill which is the same interface iCloud Keychain uses.

I'm sure an update such as this would be welcome by many users, although I'm also aware this may, sadly, be a limitation of iOS. Any info would be great (as would any tips on the your best workflow for generating / updating passwords on iOS with minimal fuss).

Thanks for the feedback. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.