How to migrate seamlessly to 1Password.com account if you're starting with 1Password 4 vault

Options
System
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1P4 and 1P7 on same machine.

Comments

• HollywoodKuma
    HollywoodKuma
    Community Member
    Options

I just paid for a 1P7 subscription. Previously I was using 1P6. When I downloaded 1P7 I expected it to migrate my data seamlessly. It didn't, and it is very frustrating that there is no restore from backup option in 1P7.

My existing 1P4 data is saved in dropbox. I also made a backup on my local hard drive before installing 1P7.

All I want to do is to move my 1P4 data into 1P7, and delete dropbox, which I never used for anything other than 1P.

It's frustrating that there is no obvious way to do this. Please can you give me very simple instructions on how to do this.

Also, note that I do NOT want to point 1P7 to the dropbox directory. I want to store the data on my 1P account.

• Hi @HollywoodKuma,

Thanks for writing in. We do apologize you weren't able to upgrade to 1Password 7 smoothly.

First thing I want to mention, 1Password 7 is not a subscription program. We have a 1Password.com membership but 1Password 7 for Windows is available with support for both 1Password.com memberships and standalone vaults that you can sync with Dropbox.

When you open 1Password 7, it does not know what you want to do, sign in to your 1Password account or open your existing standalone vaults.

If you wish to move your data to your new 1Password account, start by opening your Dropbox vault, so that you can move that vault to your 1Password account. To do this, open 1Password and click Sync using Dropbox:

Open your 1Password.opvault or 1Password.agilekeychain vault you were using in 1Password 4. The default location is Dropbox > Apps > 1Password.

If you don't see it there, open 1Password 4, and go to the File Menu > Reopen 1Password Vault, you'll notice the location to your 1Password vault there with the checkmark indicating the current vault you're using.

After 1Password opens your standalone vault, sign in to your 1Password account with this guide and when you do, 1Password will offer to migrate your data after detecting your vault like this:

• HollywoodKuma
    HollywoodKuma
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks you for this. Your instructions above are helpful and clear. But, unfortunately, 1P7 does not install correctly and, once the installation completes, I get repeated messages saying 1Password for Windows has stopped working. This message appears over and over. It's annoying, and my experience with 1P7 has been very disappointing so far. I'm running (or trying to run) 1P7 on a Sony Vaio Z2 series, Intel i7-2620M, 4Gb RAM, W7x64. I sent you the event file by email. Please help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @HollywoodKuma,

Thank you for the event file! We will take a closer look at what is going on and get back to you via email.

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: SPR-51715-729

• HollywoodKuma
    HollywoodKuma
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Greg (and Mike). To give you some more information, I installed 1P7 on my desktop which had an identical installation (i7 previously running 1P4, now running 1P7, under W7 x64). That installation was smooth, so I don't know why my laptop (i7 previously running 1P4, now crashing with 1P7, under W7 x64) won't play nice.

I did install 1PX on my laptop, and that works fine under Chrome.

Which leads me to a couple more questions:

• Will having 1P7 and 1PX running on the same machine cause any conflicts (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "no")?
    • Do I actually need 1P7 for Windows Desktop if I have 1PX?

In any case, I think we need to get to the bottom of why IP7 crashes on my laptop.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

HK

• HollywoodKuma
    HollywoodKuma
    Community Member
    Options

ps Greg (and Mike). Two more things:

• Under 1PX, I see that the program closes every time I shut down the browser. This is a bit of a pain. Is there any way to prevent this. With 1P4 + Extension, 1Password would not lock even if the brower was closed. I would like to emulate the same behaviour.

• When I try to run Watchtower from IPX, it tells me that I have two vaults. One is called "personal" and the other is named with my real name. I don't want to have two vaults. How did I acquire two vaults and what can I do to get down to just a single vault? Or, is it that one vault is online (under 1Password.com) and the other is a local cache on my hard disk? If it's the latter, will these automatically stay in sync?

Thanks for your help and advice.

HK

• Hi @HollywoodKuma,

Will having 1P7 and 1PX running on the same machine cause any conflicts (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "no")?

That is correct as 1Password X is a self-contained extension that doesn't connect to the local running 1Password program on the computer. It is running within your browser, it relies on the browser to render and run 1Password features.

Do I actually need 1P7 for Windows Desktop if I have 1PX?

No, you do not need the desktop program installed if 1Password X fits your needs on that PC. They both have unique benefits, the desktop app would be easier to work with when you travel a lot and you need to be offline, since 1Password X cannot edit/save your data if you're offline as it connects you to the 1Password.com website (for now). You're also not required to keep a browser running to use 1Password.

In any case, I think we need to get to the bottom of why IP7 crashes on my laptop.

We definitely do. We've replied to your emails with two suggestions that may help. It looks like 1Password is crashing because .NET is catching some malformed data that it is trying to parse and it crashed as the result. It could be an outdated 1Password database on your PC.

Under 1PX, I see that the program closes every time I shut down the browser. This is a bit of a pain. Is there any way to prevent this. With 1P4 + Extension, 1Password would not lock even if the brower was closed. I would like to emulate the same behaviour.

No, there isn't any way to do this; 1Password X is a browser extension, closing the browser closes all its browser extensions, it cannot run outside of it.

When I try to run Watchtower from IPX, it tells me that I have two vaults. One is called "personal" and the other is named with my real name. I don't want to have two vaults.

We don't name any vaults after your real name, it is only Personal or Private, do you recall creating a new vault with your name?

Right-click on the 1Password X icon in your browser and select Settings. Do you only see one account signed in?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I try to run Watchtower from IPX, it tells me that I have two vaults. One is called "personal" and the other is named with my real name. I don't want to have two vaults.

@HollywoodKuma: I think you're just seeing your account name, which will likely be your real name. You'll find that you cannot select this, as it is not a vault, just a heading under which is your Personal vault and any others you create. That way users with multiple accounts can differentiate between them.

• HollywoodKuma
    HollywoodKuma
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all for your advice. But I still can't get 1P7 to run.

I renamed the data file to backup-data as requested, and installed MS Net 4.7.2 (upgrading from 4.5.2).

No difference, still crashing on install, and crashing when it runs.

Back over to you guys.

Appreciate your help.

HK,

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HollywoodKuma: We have received your reply, so let's continue our conversation via email to avoid any further confusion. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: SPR-51715-729

• HollywoodKuma
    HollywoodKuma
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good, Greg. Let's do.

• :+1:

This discussion has been closed.