New to 1Password. Want to simplify two-factor authentication with it. How?

My primary use-case for 1Password is for logging into lots of websites quickly and having the passwords all saved in 1Password. I primarily use Chrome (on both OSX and PC) and occasionally Firefox, and intend to use the iPhone iteration with Safari heavily.

It's been relatively simple to login to a site (after logging out) and save the login/password to 1Password. Where I'm getting tripped up is the apparent ability to simplify 2-factor authentication by having 1Password generate the one-time code rather than use an iPhone app or text message. Can someone walk me through how to set this up with the primary sites I use two-factor at? Those would be sites like Amazon, Dropbox, Google/Gmail and Twitter. Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Chrome, iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Raptor007
    Raptor007
    Community Member

Very good question and I would like to know the answer as well. I use Authy today, but found that 1PW X shows a number of sites with "inactive 2FA" but I actually have 2FA set up on all of the sites listed in my 1PW X app. I am not seeing a setting to flag it as set up or to auto use the code generator.

• Raptor007
    Raptor007
    Community Member

I did a quick google search and found this FAQ https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/ about setting it up. I am going to try it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jordn613: Indeed, it varies significantly from site to site, but that guide will tell you how you add the TOTP secret to 1Password to have it generate the codes for you. Dropbox is actually the example used. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Raptor007: For cases where you don't use 1Password for a website's two-factor authentication but have it setup elsewhere instead, you can add the tag 2FA to the login to tell 1Password that you've set it up already so that it doesn't show up in Watchtower. :)

• Raptor007
    Raptor007
    Community Member

Thank you. I reset my 2FA on my sites and added 1PW X to it as well so I am on my way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'd be surpassed if it's necessary to reset two-factor, but it's definitely convenient to use 1Password for that. Cheers! :)

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

I saw the guide that 1Password produced for using two-factor authentication, but I don't see how that works with Gmail or Google accounts. I don't have the subscription for 1Password but rather use the standalone v.7 application. Does that still work with two-factor authentication for Google accounts? How? Any pointers would be great! Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tiantai,

If you don't have a 1Password account you won't be asking about 1Password X. The steps detailed on Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication hold true whether 1Password for Mac is connected to a 1Password account or standalone vaults, you can add 2FA to a Login item in the same way :smile:

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

Sorry, I posted on the wrong sub-forum. Nevertheless, I'm still not able to figure out how to have Google's two-factor authentication work with 1Password. I don't yet have my Google account set up for 2FA because I don't want to do it until I know I can get 1Password 7 working with it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tiantai,

With all 2FA that I have any personal experience with it will always require you to supply a 2FA code before it actually enables it. The last thing any service wants to do is enable it if they don't know for certain that whatever you'll be using to generate the code is generating the right codes. So you can go through the steps of setting up 2FA and see 1Password generate the code before you actually confirm and Google add it to your account.

Also, it's always worth recording backup codes just in case. I use the note field of a Login item for those.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

Hmmm..ok. I’ll see what more I can find out

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.