Auto-filled passwords not visible in native apps until the password field is tapped

camsoft
camsoft
Community Member

I'm noticing a strange issue though I don't know if it's specific to 1Password or iOS 12.0.

Basically when auto-filling password fields in 3rd-party apps by tapping the 1Password auto-fill suggestion on the in-app keyboard, the username appears to be filled in but the password field remains blank. Only after tapping into the password field do the password dots appear.

I've noticed this in multiple 3rd party apps. It doesn't happen in Mobile Safari.

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.0
Sync Type: Family Accounts

Comments

• Hi @camsoft. This is an issue outside of our control and has more to do with how the developers of those apps have built their sign in forms. Starting with iOS 10 you can specify a "text content type" that indicates to the system what a text field is supposed to be. If a username field doesn't have that value set to type "Username" than the system doesn't know to offer up suggestions in the QuickType bar.

Password fields, on the other hand, are typically secure text fields with placeholder text that iOS 12 is using to make a "best guess" at what should go in that field. For apps where you're seeing this I'd suggest getting in touch with those app developers and point them to the documentation I linked above.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member

Hello @MrRooni So it's filling in the username and password fine in 3rd party apps, my issue reported above, is that the password field remains visually blank after 1Password has auto-filled the details. But if I then tap on the blank password field all the dots appear suggesting that the password was in-fact successfully auto-filled. Does that make sense?

• @camsoft,

It makes sense, unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about that. 1Password's AutoFill extension isn't involved with the actual filling of information, it simply vends information to the system to fill. So this bug either lies with the 3rd party app or the logic that exists on the other side of the API that we're interfacing with to provide that information.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member

Sure I appreciate that, but I thought it was worth posting. It doesn't affect one 3rd party apps it affects multiple.

• @camsoft,

Thanks for making us aware of it. Hopefully as Apple updates the OS and other developers get feedback that their Apps don't work so great with AutoFill we'll get to a happy place.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member

Let's hope so!

This discussion has been closed.