Cannot use 7.2 with Safari Technology Preview

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

OK, this one is weird… :dizzy:

As discussed with @Rudy, I am currently using both Safari and Safari Technology Preview. Since installing 1Password 7.2, clicking on the 1Password button in Safari Technology Preview causes Safari to launch and display the 1Password window. There is, as far as I can see, no way for me to use 1Password from within STP. :ohnoes:

Can anyone reproduce this? :pirate:

Comments

• @Deleted User,

If you want to use the extension with STP you will need to make STP the default browser via System Preferences -> General -> default web browser.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

But, @rudy… That is a huge regression. I cannot make STP my default browser, even though I use it regularly. Does this mean that the new and supposedly improved 1Password extension cannot simply work within the browser from which it is called? Do note that Safari proper is not my default browser, either, which is why I can’t understand why 1Password insists on launching it. :ohnoes:

• If you have Safari Tech Preview set as your default browser it will work with STP.app
    if you have something that isn't a Safari set as your default browser it will work with Safari.app

Radars have been filed to improve the Safari API, but at this time this is the current behavior.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@rudy, I don’t say this often, but this is scandalous… :angry:

I understand 1Password is constrained by Apple’s API changes to a certain extent, but this change breaks a years-old workflow with no practical workaround in sight. (We both know what “Radars have been filed” means.) The fact that ① this change has not been communicated at all and ② Agilebits is already washing its hands of it by passing the blame on to Apple makes me positively livid. :cry:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

OK, @rudy… Even when setting STP as the default browser, 1P still opens Safari for me. Do you have any thoughts as to what might be happening, here?

• linuslundahl
    linuslundahl
    Community Member

I have the same issue.

If I use my hotkey to invoke 1password mini when using STP, it launches Safari. BUT, the login info is actually pasted into the window of STP. So I can use it, it's just really annoying that Safari is launched...

If I set STP as my default browser the issue goes away, but I don't want it set as my default browser...

• linuslundahl
    linuslundahl
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Okey, so I didn't see the responses to the first post because of my content blocker... Anyway, using STP with 1password mini worked fine in 7.1.2, so this has been working before 7.2.

• Hi folks. I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused. At this point there are some problems using 1Password 7.2 alongside both Safari and Safari Tech Preview. We are aware of the problems and have filed the appropriate issues via bugreport.apple.com. I wish I had better news for you.

If you are able, setting Safari Tech Preview as your default browser should work. If you've got a non-Safari browser set as your default, 1Password will prefer communicating with Safari over Safari Tech Preview.

This discussion has been closed.