Password is not asking me if I want to save a new login like it used to how do I add

I can't find an easy way to save new websites with logins. Password used to ask but doesn't now and I can't easily find how to save to connect page i want with the sign in user names and passwords.

1Password Version: 6.7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password is not asking me if I want to save a new login like it used to how do I add

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @cyndi,

By any chance is the 1Password Browser Extension missing from your preferred browser? It would certainly explain the undesirable behaviour you're experiencing and I noticed that while you provided the version of macOS and 1Password you omitted the extension version. It may be I'm just reading too much into that of course.

If it could be a missing extension then installing the extension from 1Password Browser Extensions would hopefully cause everything to jump back into action.

If the extension is present and seems to be working can you check something for me please. If you try to manually save a Login item using the steps detailed on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser does that successfully create a new Login item? If it does it sounds like the extension is working and that would make the most likely culprit be a setting in 1Password. In 1Password's preferences, in the Browsers tab there is an option titled Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them. Is that disabled and does the desired behaviour return if you enable it?

• Telokis
    Telokis
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

I'd like to hijack this thread, if I may. You are asking him to go "In 1Password's preferences".
    Where is this? What 1Password are you referring to? Is it on https://my.1password.com or in the 1Password X extension? In both cases, I couldn't find anything called preferences and definitely found nothing related to Browsers.

Moreover, can 1Password detect when I'm registering on a website? I'm on a website (https://www.magicbazar.fr/user/signin.php in french, sorry) with multiple forms on the same page. Is this what prevent 1Password from detecting that I'm registering?
    I did this:

• Fill in my email manually
    • Fill in my email confirmation manually
    • Open 1Password password generator because the small/embedded one is not configurable and doesn't generate symbols
    • Copy the password
    • Fill the password and password confirmation by pasting
    • Submit the form

After those steps, I expected 1Password to do something like a popup saying "We noticed you used a new login. Would you like to save it?" but it didn't.

And, finally, could you make the "small" password generator so that it uses my saved settings? I always have to open the 1Password extension and generate manually because the preset used in the small version don't suit my needs.
    And why does clicking on the small suggested generated password prompt me to save it instantly? I don't want to save just the password, couldn't you save the form entirely?
    I just had to reset my password for this specific website twice:
    First because I expected 1Password to prompt me for saving the site so I didn't write/copy the generated password.
    Second because I generated a password and kept it insite my clipboard to add the login manually. I filled it and went to copy the website's url but when back on the "Add new" form, I accidentaly clicked on another login in the list on the left. This switched without warning and discarded my form. Since I cleared my clipboard, I had to reset it again. Could you do something like a confirmation popup before leaving, please?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

• Hello @Telokis,

The original question related to the native 1Password application and the companion extension. The steps are not applicable to the web interface for a 1Password account or the alternative 1Password X extension.

Regarding 1Password X, I will file a report that it isn't filling the email confirmation field based on my testing of an internal build just now. When 1Password X prompts to save after filling a generated password it won't be saving just the password, it will be saving whatever fields are currently filled. I don't know if it will change at some point but currently 1Password X does not wait until you submit the form like the companion extension does. The companion extension recognises something might be worth prompting and sends a message to the native 1Password application. As any dialog that 1Password presents after this is created and rendered by the native application it doesn't interfere with the browser. I'm not sure what options we have if we want to mimic that in an extension that only exists inside of the browser and whose UI is in large sections actually rendered as part of the loaded page.

Depending on your device, I wonder if you might prefer the native application and companion extension over the 1Password X one or if it is worth at least testing to see which is a better fit.

• Telokis
    Telokis
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Thank you very much for the answer. I appreciate the detailed explanation!

I don't have the 1Password application since I'm at work and don't want to install something so personal on this computer.
    I am currently trying 1P to see if I can switch from LastPass and I have to admit that I'm kind of expecting what I've been used to throughout the years, sorry to be a little bit insistent but I don't want to be out of trial time before I'm decided whether I switch or not.

As any dialog that 1Password presents after this is created and rendered by the native application it doesn't interfere with the browser. I'm not sure what options we have if we want to mimic that in an extension that only exists inside of the browser and whose UI is in large sections actually rendered as part of the loaded page.

Regarding this part of your message, a non-intrusive solution would be to use the extension view. The one that I have to type my master password into. Would that be possible, you think?

• Hello @Telokis,

I think I'm going to defer to one of my colleagues, @DaltonD who works on 1Password X. That way you I won't accidentally spread any misinformation.

• Hey @Telokis 👋

1Password X doesn't currently prompt you to save a Login after submitting a form. Implementing that type of approach is easy to get wrong and can result in lost data, which is something we're not fond of. We'll likely look at that type of prompt in the future, but in the meantime, 1Password X offers a couple of different ways to save/update your Logins:

• From the inline menu. After you manually enter your credentials or modify existing ones, you should always find the Save in 1Password option available in the inline menu while focused on a password field. Clicking that option will open the Save Login dialog and allow you to save a new Login or update an existing one before submitting the form. If the Save in 1Password option isn't available, you can always save a Login by clicking Save Login in the inline options menu (three dots in the top right corner).
    • By filling a generated password. If you fill a generated password, either from the Suggested Password option or the Password Generator in the popup, 1Password X will automatically show the Save Login dialog and allow you to save a Login using that password. If you ever want to manually copy/paste the generated password but end up losing it from your clipboard, you can always find the password again in the Generator History in the popup.

I hope that clarifies saving with 1Password X a bit. Definitely let me know if I can expand on anything. Also, regarding the Suggested Password, we added symbols in the beta version and are working toward making 1Password X a bit smarter about what password is generated. The full password customization experience is still available in the Password Generator in the popup, though.

• Telokis
    Telokis
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your explanations. Through daily usage I ended up discovering how to solve all this by myself and stopped losing passwords!

• Hello @Telokis,

I'm glad Dalton could help a bit as he is more experienced with 1Password X than I am. If you have any other questions please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.