To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot update -- claims iPassword must be closed -- it is.

jawied
jawied
Community Member

When using the App to install update iPassword version 7.1.2, I keep getting request to close 1Password -- it is NOT open, it is closed

Click Continue to quit “1Password 7” and begin the update. The application will open when the update is complete.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot update -- claims iPassword must be closed -- it is.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW needs to be COMPLETELY closed, that is, the Mini needs to be closed as well as the main app. There are several ways of doing that. One way is to open the Mini (or the extension) and click the gearwheel which gives the option to quit completely. Another is to use ctrl-option-cmd-Q instead of just cmd-Q. A third is to hold ctl-option while going to the 1PW menu, and you can then see the relevant menu item.

• Hi @jawied

I hope danco’s instructions prove helpful. We do have improvements for this in v7.2 such that updates after 7.2 will not require this extra step.

Ben

• phiddle
    phiddle
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue in 1PW 7.1.2. The above instructions did not resolve the problem. I uninstalled the browser (Safari 12.0.3) extension, and still no results. Ideas?

• Hi @phiddle

I'm having the same issue in 1PW 7.1.2.

The issue will continue until you update to a version above v7.2

The above instructions did not resolve the problem.

Please try again. They definitely work. :+1: Alternatively you could:

1. Quit 1Password
    2. Drag it to the Trash
    3. Reboot your Mac
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• phiddle
    phiddle
    Community Member

Ben, thanks for answering, but in my case, and contrary to your claims, the above instructions definitely do NOT work.
    I confirmed 3 ways that 1PW is not running, and uninstalled the extension. Since then, I have received the same error message 3 times.
    I will try the new installation when I have time, which, due to the amount of time I have spent on this operation, is not now. Grrr

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019

I confirmed 3 ways that 1PW is not running, and uninstalled the extension. Since then, I have received the same error message 3 times.

That seems to indicate that 1Password is still running and has not been quit completely. Did you try launching the main 1Password app and then pressing ctrl-option-cmd-Q (⌃⌥⌘Q)? That quits 1Password completely. If you have the 1Password mini icon set to show in the menu bar (by the clock) it should disappear. If that isn't happening it is possible that a portion of 1Password is frozen / unresponsive. In that case deleting and reinstalling per the above instructions should fix it.

Ben, thanks for answering, but in my case, and contrary to your claims, the above instructions definitely do NOT work.

Once you've tried quitting 1Password completely if you are still having problems could you please open the Terminal app (in /Applications/Utilities/) and run this command:

ps ax | grep assword

Please copy the output and paste it into an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com. When you email in you'll get a support ID from BitBot. Please post that ID here.

I will try the new installation when I have time, which, due to the amount of time I have spent on this operation, is not now. Grrr

Sorry about that. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.