Trial expired ? I'm curious ...I paid for 1 password on my MacBook ... why this ?

stuarthw
stuarthw
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I have 1 password 6.8.9 , mac os 10.14 and ios versions ( sync via dropbox)

Recently, every time I started Safari I was "asked" to authorise the "extension".
Clearly frustrated in this change of extension behaviour, I became frustrated and irritable.

I deleted the extension, with the intention of re-installing it.

But now everything seems to have been messed up ! The main 1 password app (ios) states "trial expired"
can someone kindly help?

It's worth saying that 1Password on my ios devices (7.2) seems unaffected.
Thank you

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: deleted because it asked for "authorization everytime safari started
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

I've had this before... "having purchased the app from the Mac App Store, then inadvertently switched to the AgileBits store, but for some reason, the app has stopped validating the receipt that was left for it. "

Are users expected to maintain proficiency in these things ... just to keep the "plates spinning "?
    I'm a parent, an airline pilot and have other things to do with my time .....

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stuarthw - I'm sorry for the trouble! Howver, I would recommend not uninstalling key portions of 1Password for lengthy periods of time, as unexpected behavior can result. When you got in touch with us about the browser authorization issue with Safari, you were pointed towards the solution of installing 1Password 7 for Mac, which it sounds like you did. If you've since reverted to 6.8.9 and you download from the Mac App Store instead of from us directly, you'll need to visit the Purchased section of the Mac App Store and click the Install button from there, not from the main page of 1Password. Hope that helps. :)

If you're seeing Trial Expired messages for another reason (i.e. - not that one), then please let me know what specific version of 1Password you have installed, and where you obtained it from (our website, or the Mac App Store). Thanks in advance.

• staranto
    staranto
    Community Member

I'll weigh in as a loooooong time (years - 5+?), paid 1Password user who is also frustrated as hell by these hoops I'm expected to jump through. Repeatedly, without apparent reason and with instructions that simply do not match my user experience.

1. On my OSX 10.14 machin I have - 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store. I'm assuming that implies I bought it from you as opposed to the Mac Store. Frankly, it was long enough ago that I don't remember. And I shouldn't have to care.
    2. I've got this 7.2 (70200010) on my IOS device. I've got no idea how the mismatch occured. When either my Mac or my iPhone say I have an update, I update. Plain and simple, without fail. I apparently have the pro version at least on this device as I see the "Thank you, you're awesome" message.
    3. Anyway, I'm now getting the nifty Trial Expired nonsense. All of the "follow these steps" links I've seen on this forum don't match my experience. My account(s) (do I have 57 for some reason or just the one that should have? Who knows?) aren't listed. I can't enter my account details as I don't have a clue what my secret key is as I'm pretty damn sure I bought this and set it up so long ago that you didn't have that mechanism in place.

A great example... on my Mac I see "Add a license". Cool. That seems relevant. Clicky-clicky. There's a link to tell me how to find add my license. Clicky-clicky again. Oh, it takes me to a FAQ without a single word on how to add a license. And, my trial is expired, the am I supposed to be adding a license, adding an account or what. Blind rage.

1. Both the Mac and the IOS app appear functional as they both sync via iCloud properly. I can log in or FaceId into both apps and see all my data.
    2. Yet here I am, with this Trial Expired nonsense and a crippled, non-functioning, paid app.

Who can unravel this for me easily and quickly? Alternatively, who has experience exporting your 1Password data and importing into competitive products?

I'm a SW developer with many years experience. I understand the need to troubleshoot. I understand "things" are complex. I understand the need for patience. I understand that sometimes things go sideways. Yet here I am. So damn frustrated.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Staranto ...

"a loooooong time (years - 5+?), paid 1Password user who is also frustrated as hell by these hoops I'm expected to jump through".

Yes, many thanks. You sum it up well.

We are being treated so badly by agile, who seek to force us away from a product we paid for ...onto their (expensive) and lucrative subscription model.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

The expectation that users are "so excited" by 1Password that many years down the line they can provide "proof of purchase" and recall whether they purchased directly from Agile or from the mac app store really grates.
    In my life, I have so much going on, that to expect me to remember this ...in order to preserve product functionality for a product I've purchased is despicable.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

Lars ... first of all , thank you for your reply.

You said ", you were pointed towards the solution of installing 1Password 7 for Mac,"... Yes, I understand that.
    You are forcing users away from previous and "paid for " products.

Its wrong and unfair.

Have you considered the hours and hours of our time you waste? It leaves users who were previously advocates and enthusiasts for 1Passowrd bitter and cross.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

Staranto .... 100% correct.

Thank you for your reply

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

What kind of business model is this?
    You "force " users away from purchased products to the expensive 1passord 7 subscription model ( and the price is not my issue ... I really don't like or trust agile any more ...)

You leave customers who were previously excited and excellent advocates of your software bitter and angry.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

hello Lars, I have 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) it lists as ...AgileBits Store.

Please help me solve this without driving me towards the subscription model. If you can do that I can continue to recommend your products amongst my 20,000 British Airways colleagues.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

apologies duplicated post

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

Welcome to the forum, @staranto! Always glad to talk to a long-time user for the very first time. :) And I'm sorry this has been frustrating for you.

I've got this 7.2 (70200010) on my IOS device. I've got no idea how the mismatch occured. When either my Mac or my iPhone say I have an update, I update. Plain and simple, without fail.

Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong or missed anything. :) The "mismatch" isn't a mismatch, it's a function of you having installed two different versions of 1Password on different devices that run different OSes. The version numbers of the latest versions don't always match. We do try to keep them generally in parity, but we also try to maintain compatibility with older versions to a degree, so it's neither unusual nor unexpected to see someone using 6.8.9 on a Mac, but 7.2 on iOS -- even though there IS a version 7 out on Mac. As you say later in your post, the two work and sync via iCloud without problems, despite the version number difference.

The reason you haven't upgraded to it (1Password 7 for Mac) is because you weren't aware there was one, I'm guessing? We did announce version 7 on our blog and it was covered extensively in the tech press, but so far, we've not yet placed an in-app upgrade notice in version 6, primarily because version 6 is still fairly current and compatible with the current macOS. With 1Password for iOS, especially if you have automatic updates turned on in your iOS device settings, those happen automatically.

On my OSX 10.14 machin I have - 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store. I'm assuming that implies I bought it from you as opposed to the Mac Store. Frankly, it was long enough ago that I don't remember. And I shouldn't have to care.

A couple things about the above. First, in a perfect world, you wouldn't have to care. However, we have many users who like to purchase their software directly from Apple, and another large group who like to purchase directly from the developer, so we offer both ways. And they are indeed separate. That's the main reason you "have to care" -- because if you downloaded 1Password for Mac in the past from the Mac App Store, you need to (re)install it from there. Since we don't have any insight into Apple's Mac App Store purchase history or process, we don't have any idea who's purchased our software there. All we can tell when we check our own records is that you haven't purchased a license through us. If you download via the Mac App Store, Apple's mechanism can check against your Apple ID and see if you're authorized to download/install. But if you download from us, we can only check our own records, not Apple's.

The second point about your sentence above is that anyone can visit our downloads page and download a copy of 1Password...but that doesn't mean you have a license, either with us or from the Mac App Store. Again, we can check our own records, but not Apple's. So having 1Password 6 version 6.8.9 (689001) from the AgileBits store just means that's where you downloaded from, not that you have a license from us.

Anyway, I'm now getting the nifty Trial Expired nonsense.

A "trial expired" message in 1Password for Mac means one of two things: either you've used up the 30-day free trial period that came with 1Password 6 for Mac app itself or you've signed up for a trial of a 1password.com membership (which comes with a 30-day free trial also), and that's what's expired. Can you please be a little more specific about where you're seeing this message and what it looks like? To be clear, you can install a license from us by double clicking the message that in your original purchase receipt email that says "Click here to Apply your 1Password license." Here's a screenshot of what that looks like from one of my own older license receipt emails:

If you have the license file in your Downloads folder or elsewhere on your Mac already, it would look have a file name such as (name-and-number).onepassword-license and an icon that looks like this for version 6 and earlier:

If you search your hard drive for "onepasswordlicense" that should turn up any instances.

Having said that, if you previously downloaded/purchased from the Mac App Store instead, then you won't have any such items, because you didn't purchase from us. However, if you open the Mac App Store and (for macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)) click your name in the lower-left corner, you'll see your past purchases. Is 1Password there? If so, you can re-install from that location. I did a quick search in our own back office under the email address you used to register for this forum account, and found nothing -- but that doesn't mean you couldn't have purchased using a different email address. Frankly, to take this much further, I suggest we continue via email to avoid you having to post potential other email addresses in this public forum. Please email support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread, so we can "connect the dots." When you've emailed, you'll receive a reply from our automated BitBot assistant which will include a support ID number. Please post that number here. Apologies again for the confusion, and thanks for your patience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@stuarthw - thanks for the enthusiastic posting, and no worries on duplicates. :)

...who seek to force us away from a product we paid for ...onto their (expensive) and lucrative subscription model.

We're not forcing anyone to subscribe to 1password.com membership. That's why we still sell standalone licenses for the current version of 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. We're unapologetic about letting people know that a 1password.com membership is the best way to use 1Password currently -- because it is, for the vast majority of people. But for those who want to continue with a standalone setup, we continue to offer that option.

In my life, I have so much going on, that to expect me to remember this ...in order to preserve product functionality for a product I've purchased is despicable.

What would you suggest? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but since we have no visibility into Apple's proprietary store, and we can only search our own records under the email addresses/names we're given by users, if a user comes to us and claims they have a license but can't find it...what should we do? We do try to be as flexible as we can, but I hardly think it rises to the level of "despicable" to assume users will keep receipts for purchased items. Real-world goods require this for any kind of warranty work or replacement. If someone shows up at a British Airways counter with their luggage and swears they purchased a ticket for the flight departing today, are the ticket agents instructed to let the person on the plane to avoid the company being called "despicable?" Or are they instructed to ask for evidence/receipts/tickets or a name/confirmation number?

hello Lars, I have 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) it lists as ...AgileBits Store. Please help me solve this without driving me towards the subscription model.

Certainly! :) Thanks for providing the version number of the 1Password app you have installed currently. I have re-sent any existing licenses to you at the email you signed up for this forum under. The email will include a specific link (referenced, with screenshot, in my above post to staranto) to click to download and install your license. Make sure 1Password for Mac is running before you click it. If you don't receive the license email shortly after the time-stamp of this post, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

If the licenses are for a much older version of 1Password, then you will need to purchase an upgrade to the current version in order to continue using it (or version 6.8.9).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stuarthw - sorry, just an addendum to the above -- I sent what I could find using this email address. If you are certain you purchased other (more-recent) licenses from us, then it would have had to be using a different email address. If you think that's the case, please don't post those here in this public forum, but instead email a list of potential email addresses to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link in the body of your email to this thread. You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with an email support ID number. Please post that number here in this thread, so we can "connect the dots" and avoid having you want. Thanks! :)

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

Thanks Lars , great replies. I sent the mail as you suggested.

I'm just off to Costa Rica on a 7 day trip ... so there may not be any WiFi in the rain-forest! Please forgive me if I am unable to post confirmation of the solution. Best wishes. ( Oh and I'm genuinely shocked to see you can still buy a stand-alone product.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stuarthw - sounds good! Enjoy your trip -- I love Costa Rica.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

Good morning Lars, thanks for your posts above.
    I have also received helpful advice from Greig by email and now have 1password "up and running".
    (It turns out my purchase was made from the apple store... I'll try and remember that fact because It's probable that your colleagues will expect me to know in 24 mnths time.
    (I'm not sure about getting my safari extension correctly restored though .... because it seems to encourage the unwelcome 1Password 7 trial again )

I'm bitterly disappointed that it is not possible to pay, for example, £90 approx and have 1 password7.
    I'm afraid adobe, and other poor-value vendors, taught us that subscription models are very expensive in the long run and time-consuming to monitor and check. I'll always seek to minimise the outgoings every month for subscriptions, not just because of the cost but because of the hassle!

If necessary I'll happily move away from agile to a vendor that offers software I can "buy and use" without subscriptions. I suspect staranto and others above arrived at similar conclusions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stuarthw: The cool thing about digital stuff is that we don't have to remember quite so much. Rather than trying to do that in two years, just search your email for the receipt. Provided you don't delete it for some reason, you'll have one regardless of where/when you made the purchase, and that will tell you where you need to get it from. The thing is, as much as you don't want a subscription, that would help you in this case, as you wouldn't need a license at all anymore: you simply sign into your account — whether today, tomorrow, or two years from now — to access your data in the latest version, whatever the number happens to be. But you're welcome to keep doing things this way too, if you're okay with the extra hassle. Also, I'm no mathematician, but I think a 1Password 7 license is substantially cheaper than 90GBP. Either way, cheers! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stuarthw - you're quite welcome. :) I confess I've never really understood the reluctance around subscriptions; users are willing to go through all kinds of hassle - lost receipts/serial numbers/license keys, convoluted look-up procedures for same, etc, rather than a simple once-a-month (or year) subscription for something they use regularly if not daily. I do understand what you mean in regard to Adobe -- for me, a subscription to Creative Cloud just isn't worth it...but that's because I'm not a professional photographer or designer. If I were, I'm guessing it would be quite "worth it"...and a lot easier than trying to keep track of one license for Photoshop, another for InDesign, a third for Illustrator, another one for Lightroom or whatever. I think you get the point.

I'm bitterly disappointed that it is not possible to pay, for example, £90 approx and have 1 password7.

Huh? A standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac costs $49.99USD right now during our "launch special" pricing, though it will be returning soon to its regular price of $64.99. But even that is quite a bit less than £90, unless my math is wrong. For myself, if I know I'm going to be using something regularly/daily and purchasing new versions as they become available, I'd rather know what my predictable monthly or annual cost is, rather than getting an unexpected lump-sum large payment I must make at odd intervals whenever the developer decides to release a new version. But the choice between standalone license and 1Password membership remains yours in 1Password 7 for Mac. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

£90 would only make sense if you needed two licences, either for two people, or for both Mac and Windows. In those circumstances, subscribing would be cheaper, and you are not forced to use the subscription features if you don't want.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

Cheaper yes, I though I said the cost isn't the factor? It's because you are "exposed" ... and it takes scarce time to monitor all the outflows! Lightroom, Netflix, Amazin Prime, VPN, + hundreds of others.... No thanks! Enough is enough.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

For anyone who has read this far.... I was offered a cheaper upgrade to 1password7.
    Sadly, despite a willingness to pay for the upgrade, it all went wrong because the upgrade path was tortuous and time-consuming.
    1password 7 on my mac wanted to scan a "set up code" ... but thsi code was NOT available on my iPad or iPhone ( functioning ) 1 password apps.

I think I'm heading to dashlane or an alternative in the hope that it will a competitive product will need less time allocating to it .

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member

Lars, you mentioned ..."lost receipts/serial numbers/license keys, convoluted look-up procedures for same, "...

but I experience this only with 1Password and agile!
    I can't recall having this frustration with other software I've purchased.

I am honestly not in a small group. ( users who dislike the subscription models)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stuarthw - I see you're working with my colleague Greig via email, and when you responded to him:

Well that's a great offer !

Many thanks … thats exactly the sort of thing I would have expected !

I'll do it now !

Delighted !

I figured you were on your way. For what it's worth, if you thought that was a great offer, it's still available; what you're experiencing is having gone down the subscription path, not the standalone license path. I'm sure Greig can still get you squared away if you'd like to continue, but if you'd prefer to export your data and try another solution, that's fine too. As long as you're not re-using the same password everywhere or using sticky notes on your monitor, we'll be good. We want happy customers, not ones who feel trapped with a product they don't like or find confusing. :)

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread, because it sounds like either way, we're near the end of this one, and when we have to coordinate multiple replies to the same issue amongst multiple team members across multiple points of contact, it slows the support times for everyone (including you). Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.