1Password X on Safari

I know you've responded about it being more difficult to get this working on Safari.

I just want to know if you researched this any more? And also voice my desire to get this for Safari so you can get an estimation of how many people want it on Safari!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@Tanax: Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately it's just not possible with what's available now for us to do in Safari what we're able to in Chrome. So unless Apple has some big exciting announcements in this area in the future, Safari will not get 1Password X. Fortunately though if you're using Safari you don't need it; we've already got a great native app for macOS, and a desktop browser extension that allows that to integrate with Safari. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Tanax
    Tanax
    Community Member

@brenty I thought Dave said it was possible, just a lot of work?

I love the macOS app and the existing Safari extension - but the 1PX looks so darn cool and it appears to have better support for handling login forms/updating passwords. Maybe this is incorrect?

Or is the "only" advantage of 1PX that you don't have to download the standalone app? Rest of the features are the same as existing extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I thought Dave said it was possible, just a lot of work?

@Tanax: I'll let @dteare correct me if I'm wrong, but even if that's true it would likely have to be rewritten from scratch to fit within Safari's limits...and at that point I'd argue it's no longer 1Password X at all, but something else entirely. I think it would be better for everyone if Apple just gave Safari some love, as that could help with 1Password, our desktop extension, and also anyone else out there developing for and using Safari. :)

I love the macOS app and the existing Safari extension - but the 1PX looks so darn cool and it appears to have better support for handling login forms/updating passwords. Maybe this is incorrect?

You'll get no argument from me. 1Password X is darn cool! It's kind of a mixed bag though because there are things we cannot do there (yet?) which are only possible with a native app. We'll see what happens in the future though. ;)

Or is the "only" advantage of 1PX that you don't have to download the standalone app? Rest of the features are the same as existing extension?

Of course it's awesome for users who are in situations where they cannot use our native apps: alternative OSes like Chrome OS and Linux, businesses that restrict software installation, etc. There are also a lot of advantages for us with something new built from scratch, like 1Password X, since we can try new things and potentially bring them to the desktop extension and/or borrow things from there as well. We'd love to hear about the specific things you're looking for, even if 1Password X cannot work in Safari for the foreseeable future.

• Tanax
    Tanax
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your reply! I'll wait for a confirmation from @dteare then!
    As to what specific things I'm looking for, I'm mainly looking for these two features:

1. 1Password "button" inside the actual input field instead of having the extension button at the browser's navbar (both for filling and saving new passwords/suggesting new passwords)
    2. Support for two factor authentication passwords

If these can be brought to the regular Safari extension, I don't have a need for the 1PX on Safari :) Editing items more smoothly inside the browser extension like 1PX, while nice, is not necessary since as you said, I have the native macOS app for that!

Of course an updated design of the existing extension would always be welcome, 1PX looks amazing!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty Thank you for your reply! I'll wait for a confirmation from @dteare then!

@Tanax: Sounds good! Dave's in meetings with a bunch of folks this week working on some cool new (non-Safari, sorry!) stuff this week though, so I'm afraid you're stuck with me for a bit. But I promise I won't bite. ;)

1Password "button" inside the actual input field instead of having the extension button at the browser's navbar (both for filling and saving new passwords/suggesting new passwords)

I appreciate knowing that's what you're looking for. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the keyboard shortcut. But I suspect if we can bring that to Safari in some form we will — whether that be 1Password X itself, or updates to the desktop extension. Thank you!

Support for two factor authentication passwords

This is interesting because we actually get a lot of requests to bring the desktop app/extension's automatic TOTP copy feature to 1Password X. Have you tried that? I can't say I have a preference either way though; they're both useful.

If these can be brought to the regular Safari extension, I don't have a need for the 1PX on Safari :) Editing items more smoothly inside the browser extension like 1PX, while nice, is not necessary since as you said, I have the native macOS app for that!

Totally! It's really helpful to get a sense of what you're looking for. I think there are a few different ways we'll be able to delight you in the coming months. :)

Of course an updated design of the existing extension would always be welcome, 1PX looks amazing!

I couldn't agree more. You may want to take a look at the 1Password for Mac version 7 beta in the coming weeks. ;)

• Tanax
    Tanax
    Community Member

@brenty

I appreciate knowing that's what you're looking for. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the keyboard shortcut. But I suspect if we can bring that to Safari in some form we will — whether that be 1Password X itself, or updates to the desktop extension. Thank you!

I've used the 1P7 beta and have since changed my mind. I don't really need anything from 1PX other than the inline 1P icon :)

This is interesting because we actually get a lot of requests to bring the desktop app/extension's automatic TOTP copy feature to 1Password X. Have you tried that? I can't say I have a preference either way though; they're both useful.

Started using it now. It's amazing! The copy feature I mean. No need for the 1PX features! :)

Looking forward to more refinements to the 1P7 safari extension over the near future!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've used the 1P7 beta and have since changed my mind. I don't really need anything from 1PX other than the inline 1P icon :)

@Tanax: Noted. Glad you're enjoying the beta. :)

Started using it now. It's amazing! The copy feature I mean. No need for the 1PX features! :)
    Looking forward to more refinements to the 1P7 safari extension over the near future!

Haha I hear you. As we continue to work on both though, I'm sure we'll take the best features from each and add them to the other where we can. Cheers! :)

• Itay
    Itay
    Community Member

you may want to look at dashlane (for development, I still think 1password is better) , they succeed to make the icon appear in the form with some sort of HTML manipulation when you open the sites

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Itay: Are you sure you're not talking about 1Password X? ;)

• Itay
    Itay
    Community Member

@brenty I know that 1password X can do it, but you talked about safari that don't have 1passowrd x, which Dashlane have this option for safari and you said it impossible.

don't worry with or without I uninstalled Dashlane and bought 1password, 1password is better.
    I just think that it is a option you need to look into making with html manipulation or something like that

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I know that 1password X can do it, but you talked about safari that don't have 1passowrd x, which Dashlane have this option for safari and you said it impossible.

@Itay: Nope. I didn't say that. Please don't put words into my mouth (fingers?) :lol:

don't worry with or without I uninstalled Dashlane and bought 1password, 1password is better. I just think that it is a option you need to look into making with html manipulation or something like that

Thanks for the kind words. We'd certainly like to bring 1Password X to Safari, but it's lacking a lot of the tools that are available in Chrome and Firefox. But perhaps we can find a way. ;)

This discussion is about 1Password X, so if you have questions about that, they're relevant here. If you have questions about the 1Password desktop extension, feel free to start a new discussion in the appropriate area. But I suspect that using the keyboard shortcut will help, so please give that a try: ⌘ \ is your friend. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I'm thinking of going back to Mac as Apple has now released new models for the MacBook Air with TouchID and the new MacMini. There doesn't seem to be new development for Safari Extensions? There is no 1Password X for Safari for example.

Currently I am on 1Password 6.8 on an old El Capitan Mac. Add me in as +1 for 1Password X for Safari!

Plus there is Dark Mode in MacOS!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Safari is a very different beast. Certainly we'd like to have 1Password X there, but it isn't currently possible. However, there's definitely new development happening. We just released a new Safari App Extension with 1Password for Mac version 7.2. 1Password 6 and the old extension won't work there going forward since Apple is making some big changes in Safari 12. And of course dark UI is waiting for you as well. ;)

• chapati
    chapati
    Community Member

@brenty any updates on this with regards to macOS catalina and Safari 13 switching from the current extension gallery to more native app extensions?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/safari_app_extensions

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@chapati - nothing new to announce, no. macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and Safari 12 (which ships natively with Mojave) have already switched over to the newer-format Safari App Extensions. Version 12 is the last one where you'll be able to install both the older .safariextz-style extensions and the newer Safari App Extensions; in Safari 13, it will be SAE-only.

But we've already been working with Safari App Extensions in Safari 12 for some time now -- everything since version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac (released in September of last year) includes the Safari App Extension instead of the .safariextz version.

We're looking at ways we can bring some of the functionality of 1Password X to the SAE (such as inline filling, and some other components), but I've nothing to announce on that score just yet. Stay tuned! :)

• chapati
    chapati
    Community Member

@Lars thx for the prompt answer. I see, misunderstood then, I thought Safari 13 was the version introducing this new architecture, never mind then :)

For my understanding: What are the major technical roadblocks in Safari’s architecture that keeps you from offering a full fledged 1Password X for it?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@chapati – No worries at all! That's what we're here for.

I don't know the specifics, but our engineers are awfully excited about Safari 13. It’s a bit too early to say anything definite, so we'll have to wait and see! :chuffed:

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

It would be great to see the functionality of 1 Password X brought to Safari. I wouldn't want to install full blown 1 Password client on every machine I use for my job, especially since I don't own them. A lightweight extension that works on Chrome (accomplished) and Safari would work in the situations I find myself in. Sometimes I'm using a virtual machine, sometimes a Citrix host, sometime a Linux Jump host , the 1 Password browser "extensions" would make life easier in all of those situations!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, @komrad! It's something I'd be delighted to see as well. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@komrad: We'd definitely like to bring some of the things we've been doing with 1Password X to Safari, but I want to mention two caveats to what you mentioned to avoid giving you or anyone else false hope:

• It's not really safe to access any sensitive information on a machine someone else controls, so it's not something we can recommend or design 1Password around. However, I do recognize that I don't have all the details and that may not be the situation you're in. I just don't want to promote risky behaviour to you or anyone else that comes to our support forum.
    • Safari App Extensions, which is what Apple requires for Safari going forward, are built into a native Mac app. They can be fairly easy to install, thanks to the App Store; but there's not currently a way to have "just an extension" when it comes to Safari. You could use the 1Password web interface though (no install) in almost any browser, and 1Password X works in Firefox and nearly any Chrome-based browser if you need something more permanent (and filling)

But we'll keep working on making it even easier to use 1Password in even more places as time goes on. Thank you for your encouragement! :)

This discussion has been closed.