Sharing vault with only some family members

timbartley
timbartley
Community Member

I'm considering the "Families" subscription but it seems like I won't be able to have a vault that can only be shared between my wife and I. All the kids would have access to the shared vault too. Not sure I want them having access to my internet banking login details ;-) Seems strange for a "Families" edition not to allow separation between parents and kids but maybe I'm misundestanding what I'm reading about it. Can you clarify?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Farmerjoey
    Farmerjoey
    Community Member

I also require the ability to "isolate" parental logins from family ones. For example, netflix is for the family. Personal banking is definitely not. Is this already an option I cannot find?

• Farmerjoey
    Farmerjoey
    Community Member

I also require the ability to "isolate" parental logins from family ones. For example, netflix is for the family. Personal banking is definitely not. Is this already an option I cannot find?

• Farmerjoey
    Farmerjoey
    Community Member

I have solved my dilemma and hope this post helps a few people out there in the cloud.

Set up a Parents vault by opening account across the top of the screen, new vault and label "Parental Vault" or similar. Enter a description for this account. Click create new vault.

Now go to preferences at the 1Password 7 menu and click on Vaults. Go to the Vault for saving and change to this new vault. All new entries will be saved immediately to this vault and on the cloud as well giving your spouse access to these logins. Good way to backup theses logins across another computer. You will need to edit all past logins individually however by clicking edit, then changing the vault to Parental shared.

Kids have access to the shared vault OR you can create a seperate vault for each kid if you wish.

Beware that all logins are shared with your spouse. Not an issue for me, just saying!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm considering the "Families" subscription but it seems like I won't be able to have a vault that can only be shared between my wife and I.

@timbartley: That's not the case. You can create additional vaults to share with some, all, or none of your family members:

Create and share vaults

All the kids would have access to the shared vault too.

Yep! That's why we recommend putting family-wide stuff in the default Shared vault (like alarm codes, Netflix, etc.), and creating additional vaults as needed.

Not sure I want them having access to my internet banking login details ;-) Seems strange for a "Families" edition not to allow separation between parents and kids but maybe I'm misundestanding what I'm reading about it. Can you clarify?

Totally! To be perfectly clear, each family member you invite will also have their own account with a Master Password they choose and a Personal/Private vault which only they can ever access. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Beware that all logins are shared with your spouse. Not an issue for me, just saying!

@Farmerjoey: That's only true if you've given your spouse your account credentials, and we don't recommend doing that. Instead, you can invite them to setup their own account as part of the family plan. That way you can share some stuff, but not everything. Let me know if you have questions about anything! :)

This discussion has been closed.