Feature Request: option when editing to use password recipe previously used for that item

Options
iang
iang
Community Member

Would it be possible to add an option to the 'password recipe' to utilise the recipe that was previously used to generate the password for that item? For example, if I am editing an existing login item to create a new password, the recipe offered could be the same that was used to generate the previous password for that login item (ie not simply the last recipe that I used to generate a password) - therefore if the login has specific limitations on password length or characters that can be used, 1Password offers that same recipe.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Use same recipe as previously used when creating a new password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iang: It's certainly theoretically possible to have 1Password save password generator settings on a per-site basis, but it's not a a feature that exists currently. And, frankly, it would be of limited use for most people, since generally we're not changing passwords for the same site frequently or repeatedly. But perhaps it's something we can do in the future. Thanks for letting us know that's something you'd want us to work on. :)

• iang
    iang
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,

Thanks for your prompt response. It's not the most important feature so I take your point that it would be of limited use. But from a user's point of view, it seems to be the sites that have either shorter maximum password lengths or are less flexible on what characters the passwords may contain (or both) are the ones where I find myself changing password more often (perhaps because they are so weak) and at that point it becomes more time consuming to try and establish what, say, the maximum length of password was the last time the password was changed when the site won't accept a new password with the stronger recipe that might 9 times out of 10 be used as a preference (tens of characters long, with symbols, etc etc...).

Anyway, one to put on the list for the future at your discretion.

Regards, Ian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iang: I agree that it can certainly seem like those cases are more common since they're more frustratingly memorable. We're working on some things that might help with this more in the future, and hopefully some of these sites will adopt better security practices as well over time. Thanks for your feedback on this, Ian. Definitely something on our radar too, so hopefully we'll be able to do more in this area down the road. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.