Relaying passwords into terminal password fields?

vanik
vanik
Community Member

Hi - obviously: huge fan of the service, have my whole life in it, etc. etc. :smile:

The one thing I'm curious never seems to get added to the 1p CLI is the relaying of passwords into terminal commands (sudo, and the like). I desperately want to keep all my server and database passwords in actual 1p entries instead of just in a list in a secure note that I have to copy and paste from.

Judging from this discussion: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/447472#Comment_447472 - people haven't been advocating for its use. I know my dev friends using the service definitely want an official way to replace sudolikeaboss. Does anyone but us want this or are we crazy? :lol:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@vanik there has been some interest in having sudolikeaboss functionality with the CLI, but since it's not something that we as a company are able to maintain, we're hoping an enterprising community member would build such an integration :)

• vanik
    vanik
    Community Member

@cohix I suppose that's fair.

Beloved community: Is anyone else working on that kind of functionality?

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

A fair amount of this can be done with some bash script wrappers, perhaps that's worth looking into?

• vanik
    vanik
    Community Member

Right - but the iTerm co-process stuff is tricky. Being able to ⌘ + \ in iTerm seems pretty difficult, unfortunately...

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

You don't always need a co-process, you can just script op to fetch the relevant secret and pass it into whatever it is you want to use it with. That said, a co-process does make many things possible that bash scripting won't allow.

• webxl
    webxl
    Community Member

It seems like dpaf - https://github.com/tomvachon/dpaf is a possible sudolikeaboss replacement. I'm not sure about the security aspects of it however.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

That is really cool! Glad to see there's a warning to review the source before entering your master password into it :)

This discussion has been closed.