1Password 7 - Longtime Licensed User - Enabled on Android, Disabled on Windows 10

Options

I've been using 1Password 4 for a long time jointly on my Android, in Windows 7, and the extension for Chrome under Win 7. I did not upgrade to 1P7 until recently for complicated reasons. I sync using Dropbox.

The other day I got tired of the constant prompts to upgrade on my phone, so I allowed it to convert my old agilekeychain vault to the new opvault. So far so good on the phone. The app seems to work fine there; I can add new logins, etc., just like before. I can also see the new vault being sync'd to Dropbox.

Meanwhile, my PC was upgraded to Win 10. I downloaded and installed 1P7 for Windows per the KB article. I chose "sync with Dropbox." I pointed it to the new .opvault file in Dropbox and gave it my master password, and it opened. Voila. All good, right? Nope. It thinks I don't have a license, and won't let me add new logins. Well, obviously I have a license, because I can use the app on my phone, right? Additionally, I have a license key - looks like some kind of a GUID - and also a license file called "OPW4.license". The new 1P7 won't take either of these. How do I prove to my new 1P7 installation that I'm a licensed user? [NOTE: I do not have a 1Password.com account. I have never had one. Does that matter, since I have a working license, as proved by the functionality of my phone?]

1Password Version: 7.2.580
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• qcanoe
    qcanoe
    Community Member
    Options

PS: I checked and I just re-upped my subscription through GooglePlay in June 2018.

• qcanoe
    qcanoe
    Community Member
    Options

Just created a discussion forum account today. Posted a painstakingly detailed question. Went back a couple minutes later and edited it to fix a typo, and now it's gone. No trace. Do I need to start over, or is a moderator hiding it in secret? Or what? I have looked in the "Notifications," "Moderation," "Discussions," "Comments," and "Inbox" folders of my account and nada.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@qcanoe ,

Your post has landed in the moderated queue for some reason. Someone from Agilebits will address this. I have access, but want to give them a chance to explore/explain the cause. Hold tight.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qcanoe: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the trouble. Some of your comments got stuck in the spam filter for a bit, but I believe you should be all set with that now. Thanks for your patience.

Regarding the apps, I apologize for the confusion. From your description it sounds like you just haven't paid for 1Password for Windows version 7, as far as a license. The license you mentioned is for version 4. That will not work for version 7. The new version is available either as part of a 1Password.com membership (you'd need to sign into your account in the app in that case, so it knows you're a member) or as a license purchase within the app itself. Without a membership, each version is a separate purchase, and it isn't possible for the Android version to run on Windows anyway, for example.

You can find more details about 1Password 7 in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

And either way, if you have any questions just let us know. :)

• qcanoe
    qcanoe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, brenty. Still muddled on this.

I finally had no choice but to move my phone installation to the new vault format. Virtually every touch caused a pop-up insisting that I must - I think that word was actually used - convert. It was not presented as an option.

Are you saying that I can download 1P4 for Windows from your site, install it, enable it with my license, and point it to the new-format .opvault file my phone or on Dropbox? If so, great.

If not, then it sounds like the upgrade mandated by the Android app actually forces the user into purchasing the new desktop product, without saying that's what's happening. Not so great.

Can you clarify? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I finally had no choice but to move my phone installation to the new vault format. Virtually every touch caused a pop-up insisting that I must - I think that word was actually used - convert. It was not presented as an option.

@qcanoe: Correct. 1Password for Android (and Windows) version 7 doesn't support the old AgileKeychain format. In order to do anything with the data, it must be converted.

Are you saying that I can download 1P4 for Windows from your site, install it, enable it with my license, and point it to the new-format .opvault file my phone or on Dropbox? If so, great.

Yes, absolutely! Here's a direct link to version 4. That will work with OPVault too.

If not, then it sounds like the upgrade mandated by the Android app actually forces the user into purchasing the new desktop product, without saying that's what's happening. Not so great.

Nope. But we do recommend upgrading (like you did on Android) for compatibility and security, since old versions are no longer being actively developed. Only the current version will be able to keep up with OS and browser changes. So, long term, it would be best to upgrade. But you're welcome to use the version you paid for indefinitely with your current setup too.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.