What could cause 1Password X to suggest identities instead of credentials

Hi,

We're currently testing 1password and are having some issue with our own website, the problem is the following:
After we enter the email & password in the login form and save it to 1password all is fine and if we go back to the login form the credentials are suggested and auto-fill. But If we go back a couple seconds later, the suggested actions below the form fields only shows identities instead of credentials (left screenshot), whereas if we choose the credentials tab there is 1 credential which matches fine and autocompletes (right screenshot). Why would it show the identity fill first on this site?

You can see the login form HTML here: https://domain-test.engagement.dimelo.com

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.10.3
OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• adrienjarthon
    adrienjarthon
    Community Member

I think we just found out one more peace of the puzzle, on some of our platforms (it's a multi-tenant sass) it works fine and displays the credentials first, for exemple on: https://banqued.engagement.dimelo.com/users/sign_in
    The only difference besides the hostname here is the language, the text is in english vs french for domain-test.
    After a couple verification, the suggested actions works fine on all our English platforms (suggests credentials) and doesn't work on all our French platforms (suggest identities). Is this because your are using the text present on page to guess the action? is this supposed to work with languages other than English?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@adrienjarthon: It's hard to say for certain, but from looking at the page my guess is that it's because the field is type="email" and doesn't have a "username" name or id, and because it doesn't have additional clues it recognizes 1Password offers to fill an Identity — which contains email address — there. (Note that you can click ... to choose Logins instead.) I'll bring this up with the team though and we'll see if there's something we can do to make 1Password smarter in cases like this without breaking it for others. You're probably right that we could do a better job with different languages in this regard too. Thank you for the example! :)

ref: xplatform/brain#55

• adrienjarthon
    adrienjarthon
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback, I tried setting the id to "username" and it works better indeed, but this is not a good fix as this field is not a username, there are email in at least 50% of login forms... I've deployed this for now but if you can pinpoint the real issue behind (which is most probably caused by language) that would be great ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

Thanks! I believe it's something we can work around, and we may already have some changes that will help. Be sure to let us know either way with future updates. :)

• Hey @adrienjarthon,

This is indeed a mistake made by our form classifier, which was primarily trained on English sites but should perform better than this regardless. I'm looking into some improvements so you won't have to set the id to 'username' to get it to work.

-Mitch

• adrienjarthon
    adrienjarthon
    Community Member

Ok, I've changed this for now (the id) and will try again to remove it in a couple months ^^

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.