Autofill search displays too many results [Fuzzy search & All Vaults]

jadchaar
jadchaar
Community Member
edited September 2018 in iOS

Hello 1Password team! iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 have been a joy to use with 1Password :). But I had an issue come up today.

I was trying to login to a new wifi network on my iPhone today and tried to use autofill to fill in the password. The autofill button successfully came up when I tried to enter the password on the new network, but no login entry was found (it simply prompted me with a large list of logins, without prioritizing the network category), so I had to search. This led to 2 problems:

1. The search term I entered led to too many results being displayed. I searched HomeNetwork (my SSID) and at least 30 results came up since they contained 1 or more of the letters in my search (e.g. a word containing H, N, etc). This led me to ultimately give up as I could not find my entry in the ocean of results. I ended up just copying it letter by letter by displaying it on my Mac (for some reason iOS does not allow password pasting in the network password field).
  2. I updated the name of my Wifi entry on Mac and favorited it, but it never appeared in autofill, even after reopening the autofill window and reopening the 1Password iOS app. I could see the new favorite and changes appearing in the app, but not the autofill menu (e.g. the new favorite was not showing up).

iOS 12 1Password update is AWESOME, but this just bothered me a bit :smile:.

PS: is my old AgileBits forum account deleted? I tried to login today but sadly it did not work :(. My old username was JadC. May have gotten purged when I left AG.

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @jadchaar

Good to hear from you again! 👋

We’re using a new search method in the 1Password interface for Password AutoFill (“fuzzy search”). It’s something we’re trying. Unfortunately Password AutoFill doesn’t yet have the ability to narrow down things that don’t have URLs associated with them, such as Wi-Fi networks. Maybe that’ll come in the future as the feature evolves.

Details should sync into Password AutoFill automatically... if you’re using a 1Password.com membership. Is that the case?

I’ll shoot you an email about the forum changes.

Ben

• jadchaar
    jadchaar
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@Ben Yup I am using a 1Password.com Family account. I could see the changes transmitted in the main app, but the autofill menu failed to update, even after closing and reopening it (after main app sync changes went through).

Also, as for the fuzzy search, it is a bit hard to traverse through a ton of entries. It seems as though the fuzzy search even included vaults I don't want to be searchable (e.g. an Archive vault). Any way to disable them from appearing in the autofill menu? I disabled them from All Vaults view, but do not know how to exclude from searching.

• Yup I am using a 1Password.com Family account. I could see the changes transmitted in the main app, but the autofill menu failed to update, even after closing and reopening it (after main app sync changes went through).

Okay. My understanding is that should be happening automagically so I'll do some testing and see if I can find a bug here. Thanks for the report. :+1:

Also, as for the fuzzy search, it is a bit hard to traverse through a ton of entries. It seems as though the fuzzy search even included vaults I don't want to be searchable (e.g. an Archive vault). Any way to disable them from appearing in the autofill menu? I disabled them from All Vaults view, but do not know how to exclude from searching.

There isn't, currently, but there may be some room for improvement here. :)

Ben

• HapMacintyre
    HapMacintyre
    Community Member

Using iOS 12's password autofill works great as long as I only have one password associated with a site. For instance, my AppleTV asked me to enter my iTunes account password from my iPad, the default account shown was for my Dad's account, so I touch the Key icon and it brought up all my passwords associated with Apple (mine, wife's, Dads, secondary accounts, etc). I selected mine and it asked for Touch ID and immediately switched back to using my Dad's account. No matter what I would select, it would swap back to his account. Ok, fine. I'll disable the vault associated with my Dad's accounts from showing up in All accounts. Oops, can't find anyway to do that on iOS - although I've done it on my Mac.

Any solutions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @HapMacintyre

There isn’t currently a way to define a prioritization of what item will show up in the initial Password AutoFill suggestion. You can adjust which vaults appear in the All Vaults view in 1Password > Settings > Vaults > All Vaults, however this does not currently affect the 1Password UI within the Password AutoFill feature (that is something we’re looking into).

Thanks.

Ben

• jadchaar
    jadchaar
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben I would love to remove Archive entries from my autofill results :).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Same here, Jad. :) :+1:

• Pacifica
    Pacifica
    Community Member

I have the same problem with auto fill. Displays disabled vaults. Not sure why anyone would want that?

• Pacifica
    Pacifica
    Community Member

I have the same problem with auto fill. Displays disabled vaults. Not sure why anyone would want that?

• Thanks for the feedback @Pacifica. :+1:

Ben

• I’ve merged a couple of threads that were discussing the same topic(s) here.

Ben

• glev
    glev
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. For me fuzzy logic and archived vaults make the search useless. Have to open the app to find what I need. Hope this gets fixed soon. Not a desirable feature for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. We've got some ideas on how to improve it.

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Just tried to post the same comment above as @glev from iPhone but after “comment as” > ”login”, my comment was deleted and back wasn’t any help. Nor was refresh

Current search is near equal as no search. I have to go to 1P iOS app and search, copy, switch, paste.

• qkbejzkuo3
    qkbejzkuo3
    Community Member

I have the same problem here. I typed "box" and got all login containing "B", "O" or "X" and not even the one I wanted in a list of hundred items.

• As is make it an option, it's unusable with hundreds of logins
    • Search in everything was actually way more powerful than this fuzzy (search by URL or Login is kinda mandatory)
    • Maybe start the fuzzy by group of 2 letters or more, but again if you have an entry:

Title: My Super Account
    Url: someurl.com
    Login: Test

and you type: "someurl", it will actually show you hundred of entry with "So", "Me", ... and not even the one you are looking for.

• Hi folks,

We’re aware of the difficulties with the current system but thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on this issues. I have been speaking with development about what improvements we may be able to make in this area. I don’t have anything definite to share at this point as far as planned changes (we generally don’t talk about new features or improvements until they’re completed) but we are looking at this.

Thanks.

Ben

• jadchaar
    jadchaar
    Community Member

@Ben did you guys make any changes recently? Because the last time I used autofill a day or two ago it seemed to work a lot better and provided fewer, more granular results.

• @jadchaar

I’m not aware of any updates made recently. The last beta we built for iOS was on September 21, before your original post. So, that’s interesting. But I’m glad to hear it is working better. :) We do still have some improvements we’re looking at for this.

Ben

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

I wanted to add my own experiences with Autofill on iOS 12.
    I tried to log in to an Apple Time Capsule with the AirPort Utility using this feature which brought up a huge list of potential login credentials. It looked to be everything I had saved in 1P. I tried typing in the exact name of the Time Capsule in the search field and while the list reordered, it did not narrow down. The only difference is that various letters were highlighted in the list, even entries that contained a single letter or even a space (!). In short, I would have to scroll through maybe >500 entries to find the right one. Obviously cut and paste was the only way to go.
    I then tried to login to a website on a domain for which I have several different credentials and different ways of entering the login name (e.g. with or without @domain.com appended to the name). 1P AutoFill brought up credentials that I knew were incorrect because it showed a particular username. The up/down errors just cycled through the same credentials (as far as I could tell although there might have been some differences the displayed text was identical). I tapped the key icon which brought up a list of all the credentials for this domain. This did show the different login names (where the "for" text showed the same domain in all cases) but it did not show the names of the different login credentials which I had carefully chosen to make clear to me which one to use. I would think that would be more useful to show in a list than the login name.
    So, while Autofill is a step forward, it is not as useful as it could be for my use.

• Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to share your experience here @iphoneuser. The search is something we hope to address. As for the issue regarding titles... I believe this is a limitation of the Password AutoFill feature itself. Hopefully we'll see some improvements there too.

Ben

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

One other data point. I wanted to login to a web cam I administer. The embedded server puts up a login window (not sure what to call this or if it matters; MacOS 1P has no problem logging in via this mechanism). I tap the key icon and 1P launches (again, not sure if that is correct term) and I can authenticate either with the master password or using the fingerprint sensor. 1P again shows all of my password entries. I type in the name of the 1P entry and the list resorts (again, showing single letters highlighted in some cases) but at least the correct entry sorts near the top. Also in this view, the item names are shown which is very helpful. I was then able to login successfully. The search seems funky but the list resorted as I would expect and the item names were displayed. Largely a win for autofill.

• Thanks @iphoneuser. :+1:

Ben

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

I have to amend (don't know how to edit) my previous comment in that 1P on MacOS cannot autofill the camera login window. This is a non-sequitur for the current thread and is not a big deal. This camera is incredibly unfriendly to use but is good enough for my purposes. Thanks.

• It sounds like it uses HTTP Basic authentication, which is not widely supported by password managers (mostly because many browsers don’t expose APIs to interface with such prompts).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.