Mac High Sierra says 1Password vault synced with NONE.

Options
normone
normone
Community Member

My new iPhone Xs is syncing to DropBox folder but getting old Login info. I looked at my computer and it says primary vault is synced to NONE and last synced 18 days ago. Choices are DB, iCloud, and folder. I do have a folder on DB but do I choose Folder or Dropbox? And when I select Dropbox or Folder why does it say 1PW will no longer sync with folder, and my only choice is to disable sync?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: OS High Sierra 12
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:My new iPhone Xs not syncing with MAC

Comments

• Hi @normone ,

If the file it in your Dropbox folder, select Dropbox. Folder is to sync with a file elsewhere on your hard disk. If you start a new Dropbox file instead of syncing with an existing one, make sure to change the sync on your phone to sync with that file too.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• normone
    normone
    Community Member
    Options

But what about the message I have posted here? When I choose Dropbox it gives this message. I don't understand why it says it is disabling Syncing.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@normone - the screenshot you provided above suggests that you are already syncing via Folder Sync, and what you've done right before the screenshot is either switch to a different method like Dropbox, or set it to "None." That's why 1Password is warning you that you'll be disabling sync -- because that's what you asked it to do. This is necessary to switch sync methods: you must stop syncing via one method (for which you get the warning like the one you got), and then you go through the process of setting sync up via another method. Hope this helps! :)

• normone
    normone
    Community Member
    Options

AS stated in my original post, primary vault is synced to NONE. No backup for 18 day. When I click to change from NONE the choices are DropBox and Folder. I have a folder in DropBox so don't know whether to choose Folder or Dropbox and I still don't have answer to the screenshot above which pops up regardless of which choice I make.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@normone - please restart your Mac, and give it another try.

• normone
    normone
    Community Member
    Options

Here is where I am after restarting

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@normone Did you notice that you're linking to the Dropbox folder on your backup drive. You probably want to link 1Password to your main hard drive. hth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, if you disconnect that drive when you've setup 1Password to sync with that vault, sync will be disabled.

• normone
    normone
    Community Member
    Options

I know Dropbox is using an external drive but even if that drive is off, I still have access to Dropbox. So why does that matter? I took DB off main drive because it was using too much space as DB is full of photo files. Isn't the sync with DB not the drive, same as if it were iCloud? Can someone please just tell me 1. Do I choose DropBox or Folder in the above screenshot 2. Do I click Disable Sync in the above screenshot 3. What happens after Disable Sync? Do I get to choose the location to sync to?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I know Dropbox is using an external drive but even if that drive is off, I still have access to Dropbox.

@normone: Huh? How is the data in Dropbox accessible if the drive it is stored on is not attached?

So why does that matter? I took DB off main drive because it was using too much space as DB is full of photo files. Isn't the sync with DB not the drive, same as if it were iCloud?

Ah, nope. Dropbox (and iCloud Drive, though 1Password doesn't use that) has a local copy of the data. Their client doesn't download everything from the server every time you try to access a file; it's all stored locally (unless you've used Selective Sync to explicitly not have it do that with certain files).

Can someone please just tell me 1. Do I choose DropBox or Folder in the above screenshot 2. Do I click Disable Sync in the above screenshot 3. What happens after Disable Sync? Do I get to choose the location to sync to?

In order for 1Password to read and write its data, whether you store it in a Dropbox folder or some other folder, that data needs to be accessible. If you want Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, the drive where it is stored needs to be connected and mounted in the OS. Otherwise 1Password cannot write to it, and the Dropbox client cannot read from it to sync that data (or write any changes it receives from other devices). You can choose any arbitrary location using the Folder Sync option, but again, the drive needs to be accessible, and if the location is not in your Dropbox folder, Dropbox will not sync the data. I'd suggest storing your Dropbox stuff on a drive you'll have connected, and using the Selective Sync feature to exclude larger files if you don't have room for everything. Otherwise you're just making things difficult for yourself.

This discussion has been closed.