Share Vault from iOS App [Must use the 1Password.com web interface]

random483
random483
Community Member
edited October 2018 in iOS

Is there any way to share a vault with a family member from the iOS app? I can do this from the Mac app but how about iOS?

Comments

• Hi @random483

On iOS sharing of vaults would need to be managed through the 1Password web interface (https://my.1password.com) in Safari. The 1Password for iOS app does not have the ability to change vault sharing.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• random483
    random483
    Community Member

Is this going to be added to the iOS app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Maybe someday. That would be pretty cool. :)

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member

PLEASE add this feature. I was very frustrated today trying to figure out how to do it. IMO, all features should be usable from all interfaces.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In a perfect world? Absolutely. But we have to balance actual demand for feature with available resources. I do hope we'll be able to add more account-management-type stuff in the mobile app in the future though. :)

• Sidney San Martín
    Sidney San Martín
    Community Member

If I just have access to my phone, how can I straightforwardly sign into 1Password.com to share a vault? It looks like there’s no way to copy my secret key, so I’d have to switch back and forth and type a little bit of the key at a time into the sign-in page.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sidney San Martín: I don't follow. Why can't you copy and paste it from 1Password for iOS?

• Sidney San Martín
    Sidney San Martín
    Community Member

@brenty I don’t see an option to copy it, unfortunately, just a “Reveal Your Secret Key” button that shows it in large type.

• @Sidney San Martín

Do you have a Login item saved in your Personal vault for 1Password.com? Depending on when your account was created one may have been created automatically for you as part of the account creation process.

Ben

• Sidney San Martín
    Sidney San Martín
    Community Member

@Ben I do not. FWIW, I took care of it from my computer later! But, it would be nice to have a way to copy the secret key in the iOS app like you can in the Mac app.

Side note: I didn’t know that sharing a vault was a family-only feature. I had searched online for information about sharing a password or vault and found this support page, which only mentions family members in passing.

• Sidney San Martín
    Sidney San Martín
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

[duplicate]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sidney San Martín: You can always save your 1Password account credentials in a Login item in your vault, and you'll be able to reference them there if needed. It just doesn't come up much since we have an app on iOS and almost no one uses the website there. Thanks for your feedback. :)

The "Create and Share Vaults" support article does not explicitly say "you have to have a family membership" because that simply isn't the case: vaults can be shared in team or business memberships as well -- and membership where there is more than one person; it just isn't going to be feasible/useful to "share" a vault with no one, which would be the case with an individual membership. And under the heading "Share a vault", this is pretty explicit:

Before you can share with anyone, you’ll need to invite people. Then you can choose vaults you’ve created to share with them.

You'll have that option in the sidebar on your account page, which will allow you to upgrade to any membership type with multiple people right there, to facilitate having people to share with. I hope this helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.