Watch Tower Issue & Alerts

Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member

Just updated 1PW to MAS 7.2.1 and the majority of my Logins have an alert on the top about Reused Passwords. While I have a maybe a dozen reused passwords. The system on my MacBook says 307 are Reused.

My wife and I only use a Shared Vault - she has not upgrade 1PW yet and the first 6 items on my Mac are Reused, but not on her system. (We are both on MacOS 10.13.6)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

When you create a new password it will be saved in the Passwords section for safety. But it may (and usually will, and is probably what one wants) also be saved in the Logins. I suspect this is what is happening. You can look at the reused passwords and see if this is the issue. If it is you can simply trash the entry under Passwords.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

If I understand your post, not for me.

I have 307 duplicates. My entire "Passwords" section has only 5 entries. Trash has 17 entries - 9 of which are passwords.

I emptied the Trash and still 307 duplicates.

I edited one of the duplicates - changed the password by addition two additional characters. When I saved that new login, the number of duplicates increased from 307 to 308. When I removed the added duplicates, the number of duplicates reverted to 308.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@Gordon101: Indeed, I've got the same situation: I used 1Password to generate some passwords, used them (which saves a Password item as danco mentioned), and then I also saved that password in a Login item, so both are listed together under that password in the "Reused Passwords" list:

Is that what you're seeing? If so, it's safe to delete the Password item if you've already saved a Login like that too. Let me know what you find.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

I have a total of 3 items in the "Passwords" section of the Sidebar. None of these items are for logins. The sidebar say 307 reused passwords.

See Attached

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

Is there anyway to toggle/switch off the "Reused Password" message?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I can see a reason this might happen. You are only looking at the Shared vault. But Watchtower looks at all vaults (I am not sure whether it actually looks at every vault or only at those listed under All Vaults), so it could still be the Passwords section issue.

Why not click on the Reused Passwords item of Watchtower and see what it shows.

Why not

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

After my last post I got thinking and wondered if the Personal Vault might be the issue. Here is what I did.

I created a new Vault and copied 4 logins from the Shared vault to the new vault. There was no change in the number of Reused Passwords.

When I open my Personal Vault it shows 328 Reused Incidents. There are only 4 items listed in the Passwords sections.

When I open Watch Tower it lists items - generally logins that are also in the Shared Vault and the Personal Vault.

I am pretty sure we have the Personal Vaults (both my wife and I have them) as a residual from when we first got the Family Plan version of 1PW. We both had 1PW and our logins sync between our two accounts. (We started back when 1PW was the only Password Manager that would sync between Mac and Windows.

Wondering about deleting the Personal Vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gordon101 - you cannot delete your Personal vault; it's the main vault of any 1password.com account. You can choose to leave it empty if you like, and move all your items into Shared, or into another vault you create, but Personal cannot be deleted. The Reused Passwords category in Watchtower will always look at all vaults, not just the one you're in currently. So if you've copied numerous items over from one vault to another, you'll still see the global number of re-used passwords, comparing against all vaults, not just the ones in the vault you're currently viewing. Hope that helps.

This discussion has been closed.