getting docs out of 1p

neex
neex
Community Member

Is there an efficient way to move most/all of my documents (files in the Documents category) out of the 1p database into a directory in my local file system?

1Password Version: 7.2.2.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: 1p

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018

@neex,

Yes, you can.

Export your data as 1PIF, and within the folder the export creates, there will be an attachments folder. It will contain per-item subfolders, one each for your records in 1Password that contain attachments. The name of those folders is the UUID of the associated record in 1Password and now in the data.1pif file.

Select only the items you want exported if you wish to export a subset. The Export dialog will ask if you want some or all of your items exported.

• neex
    neex
    Community Member

@MrC - Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I received the following error:

Document export not supported
    Some of the items you attempted to export were documents. There is currently no support for exporting Documents from 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@neex - actually, let me get some clarity on the issue. I hate to disagree with @MrC, but if you're a 1password.com member, then Documents are not the same thing as old-style attachments in standalone 1Password, and they cannot be exported easily in bulk, as attachments in standalone 1Password could (and still can). Documents are fundamentally different from older-style attachments, and one of the downsides to them is exactly what you've experienced. Can I ask what you're trying to accomplish? I'm presuming here that the entire reason you put these things into 1Password to begin with is that they're sensitive documents you want to have with you, but not in readable form, right? Why are you trying to export them?

• neex
    neex
    Community Member

@Lars - Plainly stated, I want them out of 1p precisely because I do not like the way Documents works as compared to the old style attachments. 1p simply has not met my expectations with regard to the way I like to store/organize files. (Also, now that I know Documents are not easily exported... I'm even more anxious about the matter!) That's not a complaint, per se (although, I am happy to provide more details if you are interested in feedback), as I recognize how many users might find the new implementation valuable. In any event, for now, I think I understand the dilemma, and I'll work on opening/saving the docs.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@neex - thanks for the clarification. :) You can indeed individually save Documents by first making sure they're downloaded, and then copying them out of the temporary folder in 1Password for Mac.

• neex
    neex
    Community Member

Yep! Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@neex: Again, sorry for the inconvenience there. Glad that helps in the mean time though. :)

Would you be willing to share feedback on how you'd like us to improve Documents in the future so they might be more useful to you?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Sorry for the bad advice here folks, esp. @neex . I had both confused documents w/attachments, and didn't test Documents due to that.

Is sure hope these are exportable in the future in mass, like in a 1PIF. The 1PIF's choice of "All Items" is a bit disingenuous now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrC - indeed, .1pif is showing its age. At the time it was released, it encompassed every facet of 1Password data, included everything that could be done/wanted. But as time has moved on and 1Password has progressed, it's gotten less comprehensive. We're working on (for lack of a better word) 1pif2 (or whatever it winds up eventually being called, for exactly that reason.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: Agreed. I'm sorry that this is something that you and other 1Password users have to even worry about at all. We'll get it sorted.

This discussion has been closed.