Problem syncing across vaults in family account

Options
andyho
andyho
Community Member

Daughter has a 1Password vault in a family account to which father and mother also have permissions. She changed a password in that vault, which sync'd successfully to the vault in the cloud. That is, the 1Password web site shows the same password as the one in the 1Password app on daughter's MacBook. The problem is, the changed password is not syncing to the 1Password app on her father's computer. Father's computer still shows the old password. This has been a persistent problem ever since we opened the Families account.

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (daughter) 7.1.2 (father)
Extension Version: don't know
OS Version: 10.13.6 (father)
Sync Type: 1password web site.
Referrer: forum-search:passwords are not syncing across devices

Comments

• Hi @andyho,

Thanks for the explanation. Based on what you're seeing the problem seems to be on the Father's computer. Let's run a little test... from the Father's computer, can you edit or add a new item and see if that change makes it up to the web? I suspect that it won't. If it does, can you then see if the edited password made it down? The way that our sync works, a device isn't allowed to push changes up to the server without first pulling down changes.

Rick

• andyho
    andyho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

Did the test. Created a test password ("123456789") in the Personal folder of the 1Password app on father's computer. With no perceptible delay, the password sync'd to the web. However - after changing this password on the web - it did not update back down to father's computer. Additional observations: (1) A note to the right of the password on father's computer says this test password is "Compromised." (2) Under 1Password > Preferences > Sync, there is just one vault, the Primary vault. To the right of this in the dialog window, it says "Sync Primary vault with None." ("None" is from the drop-down menu. Other choices in the drop-down menu are iCloud, Dropbox, and Folder)

• With no perceptible delay, the password sync'd to the web.

Good. This means that that computer can talk to the server fine.

However - after changing this password on the web - it did not update back down to father's computer.

It's possible that that computer is having trouble connecting to the service that allows a device to be told about updates it needs to fetch. You can confirm this by locking the device and unlocking. If the changes appear after doing that but don't normally appear immediately then this is an indication that there's something stopping the device from connecting to the notification service.

(1) A note to the right of the password on father's computer says this test password is "Compromised."

This is normal. The 123456789 password is a fantastically bad password. 1Password is trying to tell you that this password exists in the "known bad passwords" database. For our testing here this is nothing to worry about.

(2) Under 1Password > Preferences > Sync, there is just one vault, the Primary vault. To the right of this in the dialog window, it says "Sync Primary vault with None."

Is there a reason that this device has a standalone vault? Are there any items in it if you switch to it in the vault switcher? If not I would recommend that you remove this vault by going to Preferences > Advanced, and unchecking the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" checkbox. This vault and the sync preferences are completely unrelated to your vault(s) in the 1Password account.

One question you didn't answer was whether after the password you created was uploaded to the web whether the other changes that you weren't seeing come down to that device successfully did so.

Rick

• andyho
    andyho
    Community Member
    Options

Rick,

The Primary vault was empty. Therefore, I followed your directions to uncheck "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." 1Password then prompted me to enter a master password, which I did. Lastly, I discovered that the 1Password app on my Macintosh now synchs and shows the test password updated earlier today on the web.

Incidentally, this resolution explains the mystery about why I always had to juggle two different master passwords. One of them was for the Primary vault - now deleted - and the other was for the rest of my family's devices. Now there is just a single master password to remember and use.

Thank you!

Best, Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Aha! Indeed, glad Rick was able to help you get things sorted. When you had different vaults/accounts setup with different Master Passwords, I can see how that could get confusing. So long as you have only your account setup on all of your devices now though, you'll have the same Master Password — and data — on all of them. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.