Question(s) about 1Password 7.

Options
BasilFawlty
BasilFawlty
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

I have 1Password 6.8.9 on my iMac with iOS versions on my iPhone. I see from some discussion threads here that there is a version 7 out now? When I do "Check for Updates" from my current 1P it says I am up to date? Had I not happened to come to this discussion form I'd not have known about version 7. Is there a reason why my }check for updates" isn't telling me about version 7? Also, is 7 a paid upgrade and can I
upgrade" from version 6.8.9 - is there also a new extension that needs to be installed?

UPDATE: I just checked the Apple App Store and see that Version 7 is geared towards "subscription service." Sorry folks but I absolutely positively will NOT buy another online recurring-forever subscription service. It may be worth it to some folks, but I'm an old retired guy with limited income and don't need another recurring drain on my limited resources. I love 1P and will continue to use it as long as it will work as a stand alone with my iMac and whatever OS is the latest.

1. If I were to upgrade from 6 to 7 must I subscribe?
  2. If I upgrade from 6 to 7 will my current ver 6 license still apply if I only use version 7 as a stand alone or is there a cost to upgrade (excluding subscription costs)?
  3. If I try 7 and find I don't like it for whatever reason, can I re-download and revert to version 6 under my current license?

Thanks for a great product and look forward to your comments.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@BasilFawlty,

The reason 1Password 6.8.9 tells you you're up to date is because the update server is currently configured to only offer it as an update to users that already have a 1Password.com subscription. This is because for users that are operating in standalone mode, its not a free update. There's nothing worse than an app that presents a major version as an update in the in-app updating mechanism only to reveal after updating that its not free and costs money.

To answer your questions:

1. No, you can purchase a standalone license for 7.
    2. No, your version 6 license isn't valid for 7
    3. Yes, you'll find that Version 6 (if in /Applications) will be zipped up as 1Password 6.zip

caveat: The Mac App Store version is not available as a standalone license purchase. If you want standalone licensing you will need to download from https://1password.com/downloads

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for the info.

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Rudy you’re most welcome. I’d like to expand a bit though:

• Staying on v6 is only a temporary solution. V6 is no longer being updated, so while licenses never expire if you’re updating your other software there will inevitably come a point where using v6 is no longer feasible / practical.
    • While it is not possible to purchase a standalone license through the Mac App Store (which you can read about here) it is possible to purchase one through 1Password 7 for Mac when downloaded from our website. This is an in-app purchase (there is no website to purchase from).
    • 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. I’d highly recommend at least giving the trial a whirl, and suggest you reconsider. I know you’ve been using 1Password for some time, and I assume you do so because it has proven to be the best tool for you. While we do offer standalone licenses for those who want them 1Password membership is the future of 1Password. In many cases it will actually work out to be a less expensive and more easily budgeted for solution.

Ben

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. As much as I love 1PW I won't be doing any subscriptions. I'm retired and on fixed income and honestly don't need more monthly outlay. I'll continue to use 6 as long as I can though, thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BasilFawlty - I certainly understand the issues surrounding budgeting. :neutral: But I wonder if you'd be considering purchasing a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac. If not, then use version 6 in good health for as long as it's possible. But if that's something you ARE considering, then it may be worth your while to crunch some numbers on the cost/benefit of 1password.com membership vs standalone license purchasing. Since I don't know your answer to the first question of whether you're even considering this, I won't load you down with too much potentially irrelevant data here, but just a little bit would be this: we've had a wide swing in how often new versions of native applications get released. But moving forward, I would expect a new full version around every 18 months or so, just based on our overall goals. That's not a sure bet, but it's a good guess. Might be sooner, could be longer, depending on a variety of issues.

Anyway, the current cost of a standalone license is $64.99, while the cost of an individual 1password.com membership is $2.99/mo. At $2.99/mo, you have to hit 22 months before you would equal the cost of a standalone license, which makes the membership actually a slightly more-economical proposition, if you assume a new version every 18 months or so. If the release cycle is longer, it might swing the other way, but if other factors are considered, like if you have multiple people in a 1Password Families account, it could easily become even more economical than licenses for each person. Just some potential food for thought.

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

I'll continue to use 6 as long as I can but I'm afraid you've priced me out of any future upgrade.

Peace.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BasilFawlty :) :+1:

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

"I certainly understand the issues surrounding budgeting. But I wonder if you'd be considering purchasing a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac."

Have you considered a reasonable "upgrade" price for existing Version 6 license owners for the stand alone version 7? I might consider that. But I'm really put off to have to pay $65 when I already paid $40 for version 6, or be forced into a "subscription" to store maybe a couple hundred kilobytes of data on your servers for the rest of my life when Dropbox (free account) currently works just fine.

• rudy
    Options

@BasilFawlty,

The price is still the introductory price of $49.99, it hasn't yet transitioned to its regular price of $65.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

or be forced into a "subscription" to store maybe a couple hundred kilobytes of data on your servers for the rest of my life when Dropbox (free account) currently works just fine.

Works just fine for syncing maybe, but the sub has other features. For instance, backups and travel mode and ability to access your vault through a browser (if there's a machine you think is safe), and there are other benefits.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BasilFawlty - I'm not sure what you'd consider reasonable. As rudy mentioned, we wanted to say thank you to everyone who has supported us all these years so during the current launch period, licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac can be purchased for only $49.99, over 23% off the standard price of $64.99. Did you mean you wanted an extra discount in addition to that?

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

Respectfully, many apps I own, when they come out with a major upgrade, will have a regular price for those who don't already own the app, but will also offer an "upgrade" price. I've already paid $40 for this app (version 6 license) and it sounds as if I'd need to just buy it all over again the same as someone who has never owned/supported the app before? I'm just asking if you have considered an upgrade path price for those who have already paid $40 for this app. Even your "introductory" price is $10 more than I paid for my current V6. For example If there were even a $25 upgrade price that would still mean I'd have paid $65 for the app overall to upgrade to V7. But If I have to pay $50 all over again for the stand alone app that would mean I would have paid $90 overall.

Is this "introductory" price only for current license holders or can anyone buy the new stand alone version for that price?

Couple other questions:

1. Is there a "trial period" for the standalone v7? (Try before buy)
    2. If I try it and decide I don't have a compelling need to upgrade, can I revert to v6?
    3. Do you know if v6 will still work with Mojave?
    4. If there a list somewhere of features/capabilities that V7 provides over v6? (Besides the subscription service)

Thanks for your patience and consideration of my questions/concerns.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@BasilFawlty

Even your "introductory" price is $10 more than I paid for my current V6.

Sounds like you managed to grab a good deal during a sale, then! 1Password for Mac was $49.99 for several years in the past; it was only less than that during sale periods or for certain verified purchasers (educational, etc).

If you purchased 1Password 4 for Mac in 2013 for $34.99, for example, that means you did indeed enjoy the upgrade pricing we had in place for existing customers at that time, during the switchover from 1Password 3 for Mac to 1Password 4 for Mac. Unfortunately, offering that upgrade pricing for individual purchases turned out to be a time-consuming mess. We received a ton of support requests and needed to help many customers through the upgrade process. It was a huge time sink for us, wasted a lot of our customers time, and resulted in quite a lot of frustration. Not to mention the stress of seeing our inboxes at over 10,000 messages each day for months after launch.

Since 1Password 7 for Mac is our first paid upgrade in 5 years on the Mac side, that means people who upgraded from version 3 in 2013 have gotten full-version upgrades to 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 6 for Mac for free. We think that's pretty fair value for what people spent five years ago. So this time around, we decided to keep things simple and offer a single discount price, both as a thank-you to existing customers and an enticement to new users who were considering the standalone route, instead of trying to go the upgrade pricing route again. That allows us to focus on improving 1Password, instead of on answering tens of thousands of customer inquiries about lost licenses and specific purchase dates and a host of other issues.

Is there a "trial period" for the standalone v7? (Try before buy)

As far as trials go, there is a 30-day free trial of 1password.com, and every 1Password.com membership includes access to all four of our 1Password applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). But there is no specific trial of just the 1Password for Mac app as a standalone product.

If I try it and decide I don't have a compelling need to upgrade, can I revert to v6?

If you try a 1password.com membership, you can cancel anytime before the 30 days is up, migrate your data back to standalone vaults, and return to 1Password 6 for Mac.

Do you know if v6 will still work with Mojave?

As far as I know the only significant impediment to using version 6.x of 1Password in Mojave would be if you're a Safari user. Mojave installs Safari 12 by default; it's the minimum version on the new OS. And Safari 12 no longer allows traditional Safari Extensions Gallery extensions, like the version 4.7.3.90 that is the current version for non-Safari 12/1Password 7.2 installs. If you use Chrome or Firefox, this isn't an issue, however.

If there a list somewhere of features/capabilities that V7 provides over v6? (Besides the subscription service)

You can see every feature added to or upgraded in version 7 in each update, in our version history server.

Hope that's helpful! :)

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Sounds like you managed to grab a good deal during a sale, then! 1Password for Mac was $49.99 for several years in the past

To be honest, it was a few years ago. It may well have been $49. Can't find my old receipt.

But there is no specific trial of just the 1Password for Mac app as a standalone product.

Ok, thanks. I was hoping there was. I honestly have no interest in the online subscription model. I hate subscription models in general - nothing personal against 1Pass.

If you try a 1password.com membership, you can cancel anytime before the 30 days is up, migrate your data back to standalone vaults, and return to 1Password 6 for Mac.

But if I just buy the standalone version and decide I don't like it, can I still revert to v6 or is that only possible with the online membership? Again, I do not want to do an online subscription.

As far as I know the only significant impediment to using version 6.x of 1Password in Mojave would be if you're a Safari user. Mojave installs Safari 12 by default; it's the minimum version on the new OS. And Safari 12 no longer allows traditional Safari Extensions Gallery extensions, like the version 4.7.3.90 that is the current version for non-Safari 12/1Password 7.2 installs. If you use Chrome or Firefox, this isn't an issue, however.

Oh dear, this is not good! I have several programs besides 1Pass that use extensions. So how does Version 7 solve that problem or is the in-browser Safari icon no longer going to be possible?

Thanks for this detailed info. Now I'm not even sure I want to upgrade to Mojave if I can't use extensions in the browser any more. That sucks!

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

This is weird. I just made a reply with quoting and it was there one minute but now it's gone? Did I break some rule?

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. Not sure why my last reply was deleted, but I think I have enough to make a decision.

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, this is even weirder - now my last reply is there again. Must be some browser cache glitch.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BasilFawlty

But if I just buy the standalone version and decide I don't like it, can I still revert to v6 or is that only possible with the online membership?

Licenses for 1Password for Mac never expire. You have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac, you can use it "forever" to license that version. I put "forever" in quotes, however, because in the computer world, nothing is forever. If it were, we'd all still be walking around using cellphones the size (and weight) of bricks, and using DOS. My point is that I assume you will continue to purchase new Mac hardware, install new versions of macOS when they come out, and do the same with browsers and related tech. If you do that, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep one lone part of your system frozen in time. 1Password 3 for Mac can still be installed on versions of OS X for which it was designed (Snow Leopard and Lion, 10.6 and 10.7), but it gets progressively creakier and less compatible with successive updates after that.

It isn't specifically Mojave, but changes to Safari 12 that require Safari App Extensions instead of the older .safariextz-style extensions that users could download from either developers themselves or from the Safari Extensions Gallery (now-deprecated). It's not that extensions do not work in Safari 12 (they do), it's that Apple have changed the format, so the older versions do not work. In short: time marches on, and it's rarely if ever a good idea to try to "make a stand" against that, unless you're willing to update nothing -- not the OS, not your hardware, not your browser. That's the only way outside of simulated environments to run older versions of everything, and even when you can do that, much of the upgrades you intentionally forego are put in place to address evolving threats that did not exist in the previous iterations/versions, and for which those old versions remain vulnerable.

To be clear, 1Password 7 for Mac from version 7.2 onward will install the necessary Safari extension directly into Safari 12, because it's required. But the older version 4.7.3.90, .safariextz) will not work. Hope this helps.

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, 1Password 7 for Mac from version 7.2 onward will install the necessary Safari extension directly into Safari 12, because it's required. But the older version 4.7.3.90, .safariextz) will not work. Hope this helps.

Ok, you've convinced me, but please bear with me for just a couple more questions:

1. If I download from the App Store and use the 30-day free trial, but decide I want to go with a stand alone license, will that version support either stand alone or subscription model or would I need to download a different app for the stand alone license?

2. If I went with subscription, is there any ability and/or discount for an annual subscription?

3. Will the stand alone version still sync using Dropbox and/or iCloud ?

4. Will the new version import all the data from version 6?

5. Lastly, Lars said the stand alone price was $64.99, but in a later post Rudy said there was a $49.99 introductory price. When does that $49 intro price end? (Would I be able to evaluate with a trial subscription for 30 days and still purchase stand alone for $49 if that's what I decided to do?)

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BasilFawlty

1. You would need the version of 1Password 7 for Mac from us to use it with a standalone license. To be clear, there is no 30-day free trial of ONLY the 1Password 7 for Mac app, whether from the app store or from us. The only 30-day free trial available is a trial of 1password.com, which includes access to all our apps (so by definition includes version 7 for 30 days). If you think you are potentially going to want a standalone license, I would download from us, not install from the Mac App Store.
    2. The only "discount" available is by paying annually, which means we only have to go through the charge process once in a year, instead of twelve times. The difference is $2.99/mo ($35.88/yr) vs. $3.99/mo (47.88/yr).
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.
    5. I would imagine the launch special price will not last too much longer, but that's purely a guess on my part, based on the fact that launch day was May 22, and we initially said "a couple of weeks." It's been all summer, and well into fall, so I'd err on the conservative side of estimates for how much longer it might be available at $49.99. And no, once it's gone, it's gone.
  • BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for that info. I have downloaded the "Trial" versions with a free 30-day membership. I'm sure I'll have other questions, but will post in separate thread as they arise (in fact I already did post one question about moving a vault from "My Mac to Drop Box"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BasilFawlty - sounds good. :)

This discussion has been closed.