Weak passwords?

AndyDo
AndyDo
Community Member

Hi. I've just noticed on my android app that several log-ins have a "weak password" displayed at the top of the page. But the passwords being highlighted are 20 characters long - numbers/letters and symbols - surely not weak!
Ignore?
P.s. tried asking your support yesterday on twitter but got no response so far - but apologies if this is being looked at.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AndyDo: Sorry for the confusion there. There are two possibilities: you've added these passwords to the items yourself (i.e. 1Password did not save generated passwords there itself), or we have a bug somewhere. Are these passwords you made up, or otherwise entered (typing, pasting) into the item yourself?

• AndyDo
    AndyDo
    Community Member

Hi Brenty. That's a good question. I honestly don't recall. Is there anything within 1password that would indicate this? However - I do know many others of my passwords would have been generated by myself then copied in and they don't indicate "weak password"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AndyDo: I figured as much, as I'd also be hard-pressed to recall if you'd asked me the same thing. But it was worth asking. :)

We've made some changes to the password strength calculation, so it should be more accurate now. If you generate a new strong password when saving a login, letting 1Password save it there and not entering it yourself, does that give you a result more like what you'd expect?

• AndyDo
    AndyDo
    Community Member

Sorry for slow reply. So I've tested new passwords by allowing your generator/typing my own straight onto the password line in the app/pasting the externally produced password into the app. None of these methods now produce the "Weak Password" message. I finally tried copying the "offending" passwords back over themselves without any alterations - and voila, message gone!
    Simple enough fix for the few that were affected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm sorry for the trouble there, but glad to hear that you're getting better results using the current version. It's always a work in progress since password strength is pretty subjective, but we're always looking to improve if we can. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.