Unable to update Windows app

When I try updating the app I see this dialog box

Even when I close the app and try deleting the .exe file it won't let me, says it's opened by the Operating System.

1Password Version: 6.8.488
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 latest
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @epicmaster,

I am sorry for the troubles!

Do you happen to use any kind of AV/anti-malware software on your computer? In the meantime, please do the following to install the latest update:

1) Uninstall 1Password via the Control Panel.
    2) Reboot.
    3) Download the latest version from here, but DO NOT install it yet.
    4) Disconnect the Internet and disable your AV software temporarily.
    5) Install 1Password.
    6) Re-enable AV software/Internet after that.

Please let us know how it goes. We will be looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Greg

• epicmaster
    epicmaster
    Community Member

That worked thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @epicmaster,

Thank you for keeping us posted! :+1: I am glad to hear that you are all set now. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• epicmaster
    epicmaster
    Community Member

Hi, this issue is happening again. I have only Microsoft AV, and its disabled, I ran Process Explorer to check if any process was using the 1Password exe but doesn't seem to be anything running it. I shutdown my webbrowser, did nothing. All I'm stuck with is re-installing, and with the rate you guys annoy us with new updates, it's infuriating to have to reinstall every time.

Please, is there a permanent solution in the works?

• Hi @epicmaster,

We're all using Microsoft's Windows Defender and have never seen this happened to us. We have hundreds of thousands of users using the same combination of 1Password and Windows Defender with zero issues.

Without being able to reproduce it, we wouldn't even know where to start, which also means, we can't fix something we can't see.

However, we are working on our own in-house installer and we think it may be able to help by installing to a separate versioned folder for each update. There's no guarantee it will help with your issue but it is something to try when it is available.

This discussion has been closed.