"The item '1Password 7' can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open."

aydj
aydj
Community Member

I'm trying to uninstall and then reinstall 1Password but get the message "The item “1Password 7” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open." Even if I restart the computer and don't open 1Password I get this message.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:uninstall

Comments

• Hi @aydj

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try this:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete 1Password 7 – don’t use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than you want them to. Just drag the 1Password 7 app from your Applications folder to the Trash, then empty the Trash.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• aydj
    aydj
    Community Member

That worked. Thanks so much Ben.

• You’re very welcome. Thanks for the update. :+1:

Ben

• gold4it
    gold4it
    Community Member

I wish this worked for me. I'm struggling here...can't remove 7

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gold4it - to remove 1Password 7 for Mac, Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Then drag the 1Password 7 app to your Mac's trash and empty the trash. That will remove it.

• gold4it
    gold4it
    Community Member

I was able to remove it, thank you. I now have a bigger problem. When I try to use the Safari extension, it takes me to the homepage, where it wants me to purchase 1Password 7. Version 6 (or whatever I'm on) doesn't work the way it used to. Very frustrating.

• Please try restarting your Mac, @gold4it. It sounds like the extension is still expecting 1Password 7, instead of 1Password 6.

Ben

• dzajic
    dzajic
    Community Member

This worked for me, but this is pretty bad UX, there should be something in the help docs, or in the menu, or preferences. Somewhere.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dzajic! Thanks for the feedback.

• Sophia0411
    Sophia0411
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I deleted my account and tried to uninstall this program, but it keeps saying, "The item “1Password 7” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open."
    I followed what Ben and Lars said in this thread(holding control and option to "Quit 1password 7 completely"), but still, it keeps coming back.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sophia0411!

Have you clicked on "Quit 1Password 7 completely" after revealing that option with the keyboard shortcut?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sophia0411 - also, to add to what ag_ana said, make sure you close your browsers first as well, especially Safari. Then Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and finally, delete 1Password by dragging the application to your Mac's Trash and emptying the Trash.

This discussion has been closed.