Auto Submit Broken in iPW 7

2»

Comments

• cwulff
    cwulff
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

It looks like the comment before AndreyYantsen's was deleted. But I'm having the same issue as both of these folks with no option in the "Browsers" panel.

Ah... it's answered in another thread. Bye Autosubmit.

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Same here. Looks like the option has disappeared completely...

Never mind, found the other threads about this, and understand why the option's gone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@AndreyYantsen, @cwulff, @sddawson: Indeed, sorry for the confusion folks. With the release of Safari 12 and Mojave, autosubmit is gone since it relied on the ability to send keystrokes. That's the bad news. The good news is this means that malicious apps won't be able to either. And since 1Password can often focus the password field after filling, generally you'll only need to tap Return to submit the form. Cheers! :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

How do I unsubscribe from discussions like this? I can't find an "off" button anywhere in my account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AndreyYantsen - yes. With macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and Safari 12, Apple have changed a number of behaviors. One of them is that they are no longer allowing applications to use a script to simulate the press of the return or enter key, which is what we had been using to perform auto-submit. While our usage of this little trick was perfectly legitimate, Apple quite rightly pointed out that this method (using a script to simulate pressing of the return key) is also how some of the worst malware out there installs itself without requiring the user to press the enter key. Long story short: auto-submit is gone, and it almost certainly won't be returning. To be clear, auto-fill still works as it always has (better, even!), but you will now need to submit the form yourself by pressing enter on your keyboard or using your mouse to click "Submit" or "Login" or whatever.

• AndreyYantsen
    AndreyYantsen
    Community Member

auto-fill still works as it always has (better, even!)

Not quite sure on "better" part — the password for my online-bank doesn't filling :D

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AndreyYantsen - the first thing I'd recommend doing is trying a manual re-save of your bank login item; see if that helps. Sites (and banks are notorious for this) will change their sign-in pages, which can break what was previously a working sign-in item in 1Password.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@AndreyYantsen
    same here two bank sites do not fill correctly the password, it remains invisible but.... it is there as if I click enter for the user ID I sign in
    have you try this ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9 - sorry for the trouble! Can you elaborate on that a bit? What specifically is occurring when you try to use the saved Login item for your bank(s)? How are you invoking 1Password, and what specifically is(n't) happening? Also: did you try re-saving the item manually?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: You can't disable notifications on a per-discussion basis, but you can, for example, disable them for "discussions I've participated in":

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@Lars
    I have a thread here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94799/feedback-for-7-1beta4-my-sites-are-not-fixed#latest
    As said in that thread I did re-save a logins, it did work for one site not the two others
    That thread also relates to https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93185/problems-with-passwords-filling#latest
    dated July 7th

to say again: I use fill and the user ID shows, but nothing shows in the password field, the cursor is in the userID field, if I press enter, it will signin
    if I click to get the cursor in the password field, the "dots" will appear, so it is filled in

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Thanks for clarifying, but that's more than a bit off topic for this discussion. Let's keep things on track. Thanks!

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@brenty
    I was reponding to Lars who ask the question !
    and previously to AndreyYantsen
    about "Not quite sure on "better" part — the password for my online-bank doesn't filling"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: No. :lol: You brought it up. Lars asked a followup question only because of that, likely out of confusion since that has nothing to do with this discussion. ;)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I won't get into a discussion with you

but do not state that "auto-fill still works as it always has (better, even!)"
    and AndreyYantsen was responding to that comment, so did I

I do however understand the title of the thread is "autosubmit broken",

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for understanding. And hopefully we'll be able to find solutions to the particular filling issues you've been having. That's what updates are for. :)

• dfp
    dfp
    Community Member

Same here -- October 26h, 1Password 7.2.1 (Mac App Store version). There is no autosubmit preference any more. What's the deal?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dfp - auto-submit has been formally removed (by Apple). We achieved auto-submit by simulating the press of the return (enter) key, via a small script, and it's that functionality that Apple has removed in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). It won't be returning.

• vonkafka2
    vonkafka2
    Community Member

I have the same problem of 1Password not auto-submitting while using Firefox. Do I understand correctly that auto-submit has been removed by Apple when I use any web browser when using OS 10.14 (Mojave)?

• 1Password no longer has autosubmit functionality, correct.

Ben

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member

I'm using 1P7 subscription and when I open Preferences/Browser, I don't see "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" . Help

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member

One other thing: I'm using Safari browser, if that matters.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Osote - that's correct; as brenty said back in October in this thread, auto-submit has been removed and at least for the foreseeable future won't be returning. Apologies for the inconvenience.

• jenlampton
    jenlampton
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

I'm on 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) and the autosubmit has never been added back. Is anyone even working on this anymore? Or have you decided that version 7 was such a usability disaster that you've given up entirely? The new 4-clicks-to-log-in process has been so frustrating. I really hope you can bring back the simplicity of Version 6 soon. Every time I have to log in I'm reminded how much I hate 1Pw again :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jenlampton: You're right: worst-case scenario, it's up to four clicks to login. I'll use this forum as an example:

1. Click the 1Password browser toolbar icon when at the login page -- for instance, at https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=
    2. Click to select the desired Login item
    3. Click "Autofill" in the item's details
    4. Click "Sign In" on the webpage

But I am really only doing that for your benefit here, as I would almost never do any of that in normal use, given there are a number of easier ways to accomplish the same thing:

Three "clicks":
    1. Click the 1Password browser toolbar icon when at the login page -- for instance, at https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=
    2. No click, because the desired Login item is already selected, because you either have only one, or it's marked as a Favorite (the latter is true in my case, logging in here)
    3. Click "Autofill" in the item's details (or press Return)
    4. Click "Sign In" on the webpage (or press Return)

Two "clicks" (most common):
    1. Click "Autofill" (or press Return) on the selected Login item in 1Password/mini to have it Open & Fill
    2. Click "Sign In" (or press Return) to submit the form

Zero clicks (my preference):
    1. Press ⌘ \ to fill the current page's Login
    2. Press Return to submit the form

That last one doesn't even feel like multiple actions for me, since the Return key is right there when I press the Fill Login shortcut. It's up to you, of course, but you don't have to do things the hard way if you don't want to. And there are multiple ways to do the same thing, so you can pick the one you prefer. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.