search behavior inconsistent

Hi,

I'd like to repeat my sugguestion to change the search behavior (or to be able to change it in the settings) like in my post below. The actual behavior is also inconsistent to the iOS versions, where only the title field is beeing searched in.

palmino

Hi,
i would welcome the possibility if you could limit the search to the title field only. For example when I search for the password of my email account, I get way to many results (more than 100), because the name 'gmx' in my email adress is part of many usernames.

palmino

1Password Version: 7.2.580
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @palmino: As brenty mentioned to you before here, the syntax title: will limit your search to titles. :+1: Indeed, iOS does search only titles by default, but it can search all fields same as Windows by tapping "search everything" right under the search field. Personally, I think of search as something that should cast a wide net by default and be filterable by the customer to narrow results, just like we do things on Windows. Consider searching Amazon or similar sites – just typing a search term will search the whole site, but you have the option to narrow results by department, price, seller, etc. That said, our opinions will inevitably be colored by the platform we're most used to and that's definitely Windows for me, so I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me and that's fine. :+1:

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. Brenty also held in prospect , that there would be more advanced search features in the future. I think the the best solution would be to leave it up to the user in the settings (and having to type in a syntax each time is not very user friendly). You can prefer whatever you like, but the same goes for the users, doesn't it?

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @palmino,

Once we implement the advanced search UI, we'd then default to title only first, so you can click a button to expand to all fields if the title search didn't return what you want. For now, we're defaulting to all fields because we don't yet have that advanced UI.

We are not going to add a setting for everything, we've tried that in the past and it ended up making the application too complex for everyone involved. We're aiming to reduce settings as much as we can by doing more with less.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Mike. That sounds good!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.