Odd issue with needing to restart

jsrowe
jsrowe
Community Member

For background, I have version 6.8.7 (687003) on 3 Macs (1 iMac, 2 MBPs) and iOS version 7.0.5 on 2 iPhones and 2 iPads. I don't have any issues on the iOS devices, just the Macs. I'm not sure what's going on but here's what has become my standard workflow: I visit a website and hit the browser extension (same behavior across Chrome, FF, and Safari - I use them all) but the master password does not work. I then go to the app and the master password does not work there either. I quit the app and relaunch it and now the password works. I have tested this by copying and pasting the password and, in order for me to unlock the vault, I must restart the app. I have been using 1password for a little over 3 years, syncing all devices via Dropbox and have never had this issue until recently. Does anyone have a similar problem? Is it possible this is related to High Sierra (I'm not sure of the timing but not much else has changed)? FWIW, I've un/reinstalled all the browser extensions multiple times.

It's not broken but it's sure annoying. ;)

1Password Version: 6.8.7 (687003)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsrowe: Indeed, it sounds like you're running into a known Mac issue. I believe this will no longer be a problem in the future due to some changes we're making to how 1Password's locking works. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but glad that restarting the app helps you in the mean time. :blush:

• jsrowe
    jsrowe
    Community Member

Thanks brenty. Is there an estimate on when the fix might be released? I appreciate the quick response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsrowe: It isn't a fix per se, but as a byproduct of some other changes we're making the problem should just go away. However, I can't give you any information on unreleased updates. There's no guarantee as it will need to be tested thoroughly, even once everything is in place, before it can be released publicly, and there's no way of knowing how long all of that will take. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you now, but I did want you to know that it's on our radar. :blush:

• jsrowe
    jsrowe
    Community Member

Is this still a known issue? It's still an issue for me and it's really a poor experience. Any ETA at this point?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jsrowe - since the most-recent update to this conversation was February, can you tell us what version of macOS and of 1Password you're currently running?

• jsrowe
    jsrowe
    Community Member

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 (was about to go to Mojave...) and 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsrowe: You'll probably want to upgrade to 1Password 7 if you go to Mojave. Safari 12 will not work with the old extension going forward. And your original issue will likely go away as well as a result of the new 1Password 7 architecture (single app).

• jsrowe
    jsrowe
    Community Member

Ok, I'm not sure this is a helpful post but I have to post it nonetheless. It might be cathartic. I had been such a ardent supporter of 1Password that it took me far to long to finally try to fix this issue (see the months in between my posts on this thread.) It finally got to be too much so I bought a license for 1Password 7, upgrading one of my machines to Mojave, did clean reinstalls of browser extensions, etc.

It pains me to say this but the current situation is far worse than it ever was before - and I'm out the time and the money for the license. I never had an issue with the browser extension on Chrome. It does not work with Mojave and a clean install of 1Password7 on a brand new iMac Pro. Somewhere in the process, 2 of the 4 clients couldn't access the primary vault until I changed my master password. I haven't had to change that password since I set it in 2014. Even when the extensions work, they are slow to open, giving the impression that they aren't working and they seem to just want to open the main app - which then has no context to what page/login is appropriate so I have to then search. Not helpful. I know new releases are challenging but this is bad.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of tooling to help debug what is going on either. That may be the most frustrating. It seems like the customer's options are to upgrade or wait for the next upgrade.

I won't be a customer by the end of this week - I just have to summon the emotional strength to repeat this process with another product.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jsrowe - I'm sorry for the frustration and bad experience, that's certainly not what we want our users to undergo. I've shot you a quick email so we can discuss all of the details privately instead of on this public forum, so if you don't receive the email, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk. Looking forward to continuing our conversation privately.

This discussion has been closed.