MacOS 10.13.6, 1Password 7.2.1, Safari 12.0: Browser Extension for Safari does not appear on click

Options
robprankster
robprankster
Community Member

MacOS 10.13.6, 1Password 7.2.1, Safari 12.0: Browser Extension for Safari does not appear on clicking its icon, so I can not fill in these fields from the helper and must start the 1Password app from the Applications Folder and copy paste. If I look at the Activity Monitor it reveals three processes: 1Password, 1Password7 and 1Password Extension Helper. Help, please!

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:MacOS 10.13.6, OnePassword 7.2.1, Safari 12.0: Browser Extension for Safari does not appear on click

Comments

• BillC
    BillC
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue with same version of apps. Restarting the Mac fixed it. As usual, ymmv.

• robprankster
    robprankster
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robprankster: Have you tried rebooting?

• robprankster
    robprankster
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I rebooted and it solved the problem. Thank you to BillC and your good self.

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I have the same problem. I've rebooted 3 times, which didn't help.

macOS 10.13.6
    1Password 7.2.1 (was prompted to update today)
    Safari 12.0 (after the 1Password upgrade I got a notice that I needed to update Safari for the 1Password extension to work, so I went and did that)

Safari -> preferences shows "1Password 7.2.1 from 1Password 7" installed and enabled.

I thought I'd try reinstalling the extension. But if I open 1Password and go to the 1Password 7 -> Install Browser Extensions menu item I land on https://1password.com/downloads/, which conveniently shows the extensions for .... Chrome, Opera, IE and Mozilla, ie not the one I am using. There is no info about why there's no Safari extension listed. If I go to 1password.com and click "Browser Extensions" in the footer nav, I end up in the same place with the same lack of option.

I've quit and restarted Safari, several times. I've quit and restarted 1Password. I've ticked and unticked the "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" option in 1Password -> Preferences -> Browsers.

Clicking the 1Password icon in Safari does nothing.

Any advice?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@"jack": Indeed, the Safari App Extension is bundled with the app, so there is no separate install for Safari.

Where is 1Password 7 installed?

• mitmik37
    mitmik37
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. It was fine just two days ago and then I got a pop up of a 1password manager update and when it tried to install the update It said it could not find the version of 1password. When I'm in 1password and select get updates, it tells me that I have the latest version. Anyway, this is when it stopped working within Safari. When I check Safari extensions, 1password shows as one of my installed extensions but it refuses to work.

It was working just fine, so something has changed to cause this. It's either 1password or it's Safari. In any case, it's very frustrating. I've re-booted and that has not helped at all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robprankster: Glad that BillC's suggestion helped. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitmik37: Probably Safari. Which version of 1Password are you using, and where is it installed? Also, what OS and Safari version?

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I found that out much later (attempt/visit number ... 3? 4?) after searching for "Safari" with Command-F on the page. Have to say when you need to use Command-F it suggests something isn't right! Mentioning that in the "Browser Extensions" section would help I think.

It was installed in ~/Applications.

This was just the latest in a long line of frustrations and problems with 7.x for me, so after an infuriating hour or so trying to solve this I gave up and rolled back to 6. It's like a breath of fresh air, everything just works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@"jack": Yeah that's the problem: 1Password 7 is sandboxed, so it cannot talk to the browser at all if both are not in the system /Applications folder. If you put it there (like the installer has you do) you'd be all set. 1Password 6 will not work with Safari going forward, so you may want to do that.

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I don't recall the the installer telling me to put it anywhere - I certainly would have accepted the defaults in any case. Remember this was a v6 install that just auto-updated itself.

Also, if v7 is picky about where it is installed, the upgrade from v6 ought to tell you about it.

Also, if that's a known problem, the extension ought to tell you what's wrong.

When are you ending support for v6/Safari? Hopefully some of these issues will be resolved by then.

• mitmik37
    mitmik37
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

@brenty I'm using the very latest version of 1password and safari. I always use the defaults from the installer. I'm using Mojave in dark mode

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitmik37: Honestly, "the latest" doesn't tell me much. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that and it wasn't the case, I'd be on vacation right now. So it's really better to actually check — in addition to the specific location of the browser and 1Password. For all you or I know, you may have multiple copies, so please take a look. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@"jack": That's all well and good, but sandboxing means 1Password can't know or tell you that. Did you try it? To be clear, we're not "ending support for Safari". On the contrary, we're using Apple's latest technologies because they're retiring the old ones in the near future. Anyway, I suspect that following my suggestion will help you long before then, if you're willing. ;)

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty You mention 1Password 7 is sandboxed, so it sounds like that's something new? So 1Password 6 is not sandboxed, and knows where it is installed? It was 1Password 6 which initiated the upgrade to 7, and rendered my Safari integration unusable. I'm just guessing, but whatever the case there certainly seems like room for improvement in the process. If it absolutely must be in /Applications to work now, the upgrade process from previous versions which may not be in that location needs to handle those cases.

Did you try it?

If you mean did I try reinstalling 7, no, as I mentioned this is just the latest in a series of problems 7 has introduced for me and I'm very happy to be back on a working 6. As I mentioned, I'm hoping some of these issues will be resolved by the time I have to upgrade.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You mention 1Password 7 is sandboxed, so it sounds like that's something new?

@"jack": Yes and no. The Mac App Store version has always been sandboxed, but now both versions are and it's tighter now than ever, since that's the direction the platform is heading.

So 1Password 6 is not sandboxed, and knows where it is installed? It was 1Password 6 which initiated the upgrade to 7, and rendered my Safari integration unusable. I'm just guessing, but whatever the case there certainly seems like room for improvement in the process. If it absolutely must be in /Applications to work now, the upgrade process from previous versions which may not be in that location needs to handle those cases.

When you upgraded, Safari 12 didn't exist, and we were using a different integration method with earlier versions.

If you mean did I try reinstalling 7, no, as I mentioned this is just the latest in a series of problems 7 has introduced for me and I'm very happy to be back on a working 6. As I mentioned, I'm hoping some of these issues will be resolved by the time I have to upgrade.

The only problem you mentioned was this one, and I believe I gave you the solution already. So I was just wondering if you'd tried it. No worries! :lol:

• mitmik37
    mitmik37
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I have Safari 12.0 and 1Password 7.2.1 and both are installed in the applications folder

• mitmik37
    mitmik37
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I figured it out, I didn't realize that while looking at 1password in the extension tab in Safari, the 1password extension was unchecked. Checking it immediately resolved the issue. DUH!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, indeed, it has to be enabled, and there's no way to automate that. Sorry about that! Glad that did the trick, and the good news is that you're now done with this transition: future updates to 1Password will also include the latest Safari App Extension and be setup automatically. Cheers! :)

• adviladic
    adviladic
    Community Member
    Options

!Password, I upgraded to 10.13 then upgraded to 7.2 and am having major issues. I cannot go to 10.14 Mojave because my hardware does not support it. I cannot go to Firefox or Chrome because of other compatibility problem. 1Password did not say this was a one way street because I cannot go back since you data structure has been changed. Please help!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@adviladic I'm sure either AgileBits staff or users can help. But we need to know what your issues are before we can help. Please give details.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adviladic - I've replied to you asking this same question in another thread. Please keep the conversation going there, if you need follow-up. Thanks. :)

• adviladic
    adviladic
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Everyone.
    Thank you for the support, I am back online. However, I had to go to Apple developer to get Safari 12 to work with High Sierra. This information was not clear when statement to upgrade to 7.2 came up. it was very frustrating. I would suggest you saying if your system cannot work with Mojave and you need to stay with high Sierra, down load Safari 12 from Apple developer because of the extension modification issue. nonetheless, thank you for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adviladic: Please stop posting the same thing in multiple places.

I don't know what you mean "Apple developer", but if you're thinking of Apple's Safari Extensions Gallery, while 1Password can be found there currently, Apple will be closing that soon and sticking with an outdated OS or browser isn't a good long-term strategy, for both compatibility and security -- especially since we're talking about software used for security: 1Password.

• adviladic
    adviladic
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Brently, my apologies for being frustrated and putting it on multiple strings. However what I was trying to say was I could not find safari 12 download until I went to the apple developers site. The gallery does not have specifically safari 12 download that I could find. Maybe I missed it. All I was trying to convey was this was a very strange situation since because of my hardware limitations, I could not go to Mojave and a need for Safari 12 to get 1password to work again. Regardless I do appreciate the help. It was roundabout but I was able to get everything working again. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adviladic: No worries. I think we're talking about different things though. This is the support forum for 1Password, not Safari. You can find 1Password in Apple's Safari Extensions Gallery, not Safari itself; just extensions. Safari updates are available through the Mac App Store, including for Sierra and High Sierra. If you're having trouble with that for some reason, you'd need to contact Apple for assistance.

• prickly_marc_afro
    prickly_marc_afro
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem I think.

1Password 7.2.3.BETA-1
    Safari 12.0.1
    MacOS 10.13.6
    on a 27-inch iMac mid-2010

All software including OS [re]installed today.

1Password works fine.

1Password mini does not work when Safari is active. As long as Safari is the current app, the 1Password icon in the menu bar does nothing. If any other app that I have tried is open, clicking the icon in the menu bar opens 1Password mini. Similarly, the 1Password icon in the Safari tool bar does not open 1Password mini.

Everything else seems to be working correctly.

In the Safari preferences, under extensions, 1Password is checked.

In the 1Password preferences->browsers, Extension help is checked.

I have rebooted.

Suggestions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prickly_marc_afro: Quit Safari, Quit 1Password Completely (Command Option Control Q), drag all copies of 1Password o the Trash, restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/

• prickly_marc_afro
    prickly_marc_afro
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty That did it! Thanks. I am guessing something got messed up in Safari because there was a failed attempt to install Safari v 12 such that the App Store though Safari was current, but it was not. This happened either shortly before or after I switched from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. The steps you suggested seem to have cleared whatever misconfiguration had been created with the 1Password extension. Thanks for the quick, simple solution, offered quickly.

ralph

This discussion has been closed.