1Password 7: Where did password generator history go?

PBAdams
PBAdams
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I was trying out the new 1Password 7.0 when watchtower told me I ought to change up my Netflix p/w. The entry for Netflix has been in my 1Password vault for maybe 7 years, so the URL is old.

I generated a new password and it was entered automatically into netflix. No problems there. But it did not update my Netflix entry (probably because of the old URL). "That's easy" I thought "I'll just fish it out of the password generator history and manually update it...

So, now I can't find password generator history anywhere.

I've had to do a password recovery on Netflix about 3 times so I can manually copy the generated pw and update my entry.

A search of Help is no help either.

What happened to password generator history?

1Password Version: 7.0 (19)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

Curious to know more about this too!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PBAdams: I'm sorry to hear that. You can, however, find the passwords right in your vault. 1Password has been saving generated passwords that have been used (filling or copying) for years now as a safety net:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

Having a history in mini as well seemed a bit redundant. I do apologize for the confusion there though.

• MichaelJZA
    MichaelJZA
    Community Member

I have had the same difficulty now and, frankly, that response is rubbish. Sometimes you generate a password from mini without reference to a web page, especially if the browser extension isn't working today (again). Having access to the password generator history is helpful in that situation, because 1Password doesn't save it under the website. Just because you thought having that facility in mini was "a bit redundant" doesn't mean that it actually was, so thanks for removing something that has been helpful in the past to myself and, obviously others. If it's only "a bit" redundant, how about putting it back? Meanwhile, I will have to get back to the service for which I supplied the password and ask them to let me reset it. Thanks for that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@MichaelJZA: Thanks for the feedback. It's something we'll consider along with everyone else's. However,

Meanwhile, I will have to get back to the service for which I supplied the password and ask them to let me reset it. Thanks for that.

Did you try what I suggested?

If you used 1Password to generate it, it will have saved a Password item, and you can easily sort those by time/date to find the most recent.

• MichaelJZA
    MichaelJZA
    Community Member

I hadn't noticed that you could sort by date and I have now found the password. What a rigmarole though. You basically removed a quick and easy way to get to very recent passwords so that now we have to open the main programme, delve into it, re-sort the list and, if the password wasn't entered into a particular website, guess which one yours was. Maybe this wasn't the best feature decision?

• Hi @MichaelJZA ,

I'm sorry you ended up resetting your password. When the mini window was redesigned and the password history, which used to sit below the generator, did not make it back in. We do plan on making improvements to the password generator, and plan to put the password history back when we do those improvements.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• drenwick
    drenwick
    Community Member

Same issue here. Happens on a regular basis. Please bring this feature back to how it was under v6. Annoying

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It probably won't be anything like it was in the old version, but we're looking at ways we can make it better in the future. :)

• herbcso
    herbcso
    Community Member

Yeah, seriously, the old password history feature right there for every account was awesome! Please bring that back! (And to be clear: not just for generated passwords, but also the history of passwords I've used for my accounts - can be very helpful for cases like SSO where some system fails to update and I need to use an old password.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@herbcso: I think you're confusing things. The "previously used passwords" feature is still present in all Login items:

That hasn't changed.

• lithigin
    lithigin
    Community Member

Brenty, add me to list of people frustrated at no more Password Generator history.
    The black screen shot you are showing - where is that from? I';m in version 7, click on a Login, Edit, and see a grey button that looks nothing like that.

More importantly - WHERE is the Password Generator in the app? As you know, sometimes the extension doesn't play nice. Since version 7 it has seemed critical to keep the app open and we are constantly copy/pasting. I need to update a PW and do not see the Password Generator in the left dark menu as it had always been, and searching your support site only returns results for the extension. 1Password help for "generate" = no results.

I just found the Password Generator in the Mini, and used it. However, neither the app nor the nonfunctioning Chrome extension recognized my change, so I had to paste it in. Since version 7 rolled out, updating PW is so convoluted, and the extension rarely recognizes them, that my team is completely unable to update and properly save the new PW without complete supervision from me. Extra annoyed. EXTRA ironic is that I apparently hadn't saved my 1Pass forum PW, so I had to use the Mini to manually generate, then it also didn't recognize the PW change so I had to paste it into the app, just to post this gripe. I'm in charge of IT; if I struggle, it's literally impossible for my team,.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

Brenty, add me to list of people frustrated at no more Password Generator history. The black screen shot you are showing - where is that from? I';m in version 7, click on a Login, Edit, and see a grey button that looks nothing like that.

@lithigin: It's the Mojave "Dark" appearance. It's the same, just a different colour, but here's the "Light" version:

Again, this is just at the bottom of any Login item whose password has been changed at some point, below Tags.

More importantly - WHERE is the Password Generator in the app? As you know, sometimes the extension doesn't play nice. Since version 7 it has seemed critical to keep the app open and we are constantly copy/pasting. I need to update a PW and do not see the Password Generator in the left dark menu as it had always been, and searching your support site only returns results for the extension. 1Password help for "generate" = no results.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of. You can access the password generator from within 1Password mini on the left, or in any password field in an item in 1Password while editing:

I just found the Password Generator in the Mini, and used it. However, neither the app nor the nonfunctioning Chrome extension recognized my change, so I had to paste it in.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by "recognized my change" or "nonfunctioning Chrome extension". Let's take it one step at a time.

Since version 7 rolled out, updating PW is so convoluted, and the extension rarely recognizes them, that my team is completely unable to update and properly save the new PW without complete supervision from me. Extra annoyed. EXTRA ironic is that I apparently hadn't saved my 1Pass forum PW, so I had to use the Mini to manually generate, then it also didn't recognize the PW change so I had to paste it into the app, just to post this gripe. I'm in charge of IT; if I struggle, it's literally impossible for my team,.

I'm sorry to hear that. It would be helpful to know the specifics of what you're doing and where you're running into trouble though. I'm not really sure what you mean otherwise. But, worst case scenario, when you use a generated password, 1Password saves it as a Password item in your vault:

So that would be a good place to look if you've misplaced something. let me know what you find!

• wesselt
    wesselt
    Community Member

Followed all the tips above, but can't find my generated password.

It was generated with Mini, then Password Generator, then copy.

It's not saved as an item, and it's not in the password list (I did sort with created on top.)

• @wesselt,

was it generated in 1Password for Mac or did you happen to generate it in 1Password X in Chrome or Firefox?

• wesselt
    wesselt
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@rudy: Definitely Mac, the one you start with Cmd-Opt-\

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wesselt: Could you please show me 1Password Preferences > Vaults? To include a screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• wesselt
    wesselt
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for your reply. I've just tried to reproduce the problem, but wasn't able to :) My generated password now shows in the Passwords page.

Here's a screenshot of the settings tab you asked for:

What I remember doing:

• Press Cmd-Opt-\ to open 1Password mini
    • Open "Password Generator" to the left
    • Select the password and copy it with Cmd-C
    • When I checked back 15m later, I was unable to find the new password
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting me know. That's odd. Perhaps there was some delay in saving/syncing. I'm not sure we'll ever know. I'm glad to hear that all is well now, but please let us know if you encounter any further issues. Have a great weekend!

• Micro23
    Micro23
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I would not only like to be able to REMOVE a password from previously used passwords, but chalk me up to a user who lost a password using the generator. It never updated the OP Item I had to manually update it even after 100% clicking UPDATE existing.

P.S. Bring back the old password generator history functionality. It was way better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I would not only like to be able to REMOVE a password from previously used passwords,

@Micro23: This discussion isn't about that. Quite the opposite. It's something we can consider as a feature for a future version, but you can Duplicate an item and the new one will have no "previously used passwords" in it, if that's what you want.

but chalk me up to a user who lost a password using the generator. It never updated the OP Item I had to manually update it even after 100% clicking UPDATE existing.

The Password Generator has never updated items. You'd have to save the new password in a Login. Otherwise, if you used 1Password to fill the generated password, you'll have a Password item saved for it in your vault:

P.S. Bring back the old password generator history functionality. It was way better.

It's possible, but I disagree that it was "way better". It was not very discoverable and confusing for non-nerds. I think we're more likely to do something similar to 1Password X:

We've had a good response to that, and there's a lot more we can to with it than a tiny extra dropdown menu.

• Micro23
    Micro23
    Community Member

Hey brent, sounds like your calling
    Me a liar. Sounds good have a great day. Happy thanksgiving.

• Micro23
    Micro23
    Community Member

P.S last version was better. Very few improvements and definitely not worth the upgrade price . Stay on one password six full version if you have it this accounts stuff on version seven is definitely not the direction you want to head.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I understand the rest, but I hope you have a happy thanksgiving as well!

• LBrownell
    LBrownell
    Community Member

Hi -- I wonder if the workflow I used managed to lose a generated password; it sure seems so. I believe it went like this:

• Started a new Login item
    • Entered the username, then generated a password; went through a few iterations 'til I found one I liked.
    • Used said password (this was for a user login on a computer, on a different computer, no clipboard use involved).
    • Never went back and saved the login entry.

Days passed. Needed that passwored...and now, I can't find it.

Potentially complicating this, I may have created it on one of three installations: A PC, a Mac, or an Android phone. The method @brenty keeps linking to doesn't come up with it on any of them, as there is no website to correspond to.

Any ideas about this, like other methods to find it? Or, a future feature: keep DRAFT entries available when the app shuts down after inactivity, prompt the user to finish when reopening 1Password...protecting the weak and stupid, (such as me), is a noble goal.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LBrownell: Indeed, if you did not have 1Password fill the password, it would not have saved it for you; and if you did not save it yourself either you probably will not have any record of it. :(

With a 1Password.com account, 1Password can save any (manually) unsaved changes to an item automatically when locking, since this is non-destructive (thanks to the item history feature, which would allow reverting the changes if it was a mistake). There isn't anything like that we can safely do with local vaults though since that could easily result in data loss, ironically, when the purpose would be to prevent it. :blush:

• LBrownell
    LBrownell
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. We have a team account. So where can I find that?

• LBrownell
    LBrownell
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@brenty Hold on...following the link you provided...

...and no, that didn't do it, either. Not sure it was applicable, as the Login item I was creating was never saved (it was a new item I'd just created).

If it's supposed to do an "auto-save" of new, never-saved items upon auto-locking the UI, then you might need to file a bug report. Or a feature request.

Another feature request: Add sort by date modified to the lists in 1password.com.

Another potentially confounding thing, this may have been during the time when 1password7 was not sync'ing on my Windows laptop. It gave no indication of this problem, except that I noticed that things I was looking for weren't there. I looked at the logs and saw the sync error; I added on to a forum thread where others had this problem; and finally, noted I resolved it by logging out and back in to 1password7 (!).

So, if it was during that time and if I did it on the Windows laptop, then there goes that safety net as well. Sigh.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

...and no, that didn't do it, either. Not sure it was applicable, as the Login item I was creating was never saved (it was a new item I'd just created).

@LBrownell: I think maybe there's a misunderstanding. As I mentioned,

if you did not have 1Password fill the password, it would not have saved it for you; and if you did not save it yourself either you probably will not have any record of it.

1Password doesn't save every password that is generated, as that would mean every time you even opened the Password Generator or clicked the Regenerate Password button.

If it's supposed to do an "auto-save" of new, never-saved items upon auto-locking the UI, then you might need to file a bug report. Or a feature request.

Without knowing exactly what you did or did not do, I cannot say for certain. But based on what you've told me so far, it sounds like you need to do a password reset.

Another feature request: Add sort by date modified to the lists in 1password.com.

It's something we may be able to add in the future. You can do that in the desktop apps now though.

Another potentially confounding thing, this may have been during the time when 1password7 was not sync'ing on my Windows laptop.

Can you elaborate?

It gave no indication of this problem, except that I noticed that things I was looking for weren't there. I looked at the logs and saw the sync error; I added on to a forum thread where others had this problem; and finally, noted I resolved it by logging out and back in to 1password7 (!). So, if it was during that time and if I did it on the Windows laptop, then there goes that safety net as well. Sigh.

No. If you'd saved (or caused to be saved) a new password in the Windows app, even when having a network issue preventing sync from occurring, it would still have been saved locally. And, if 1Password could not connect to the server, it would show up as "offline changes" in the sidebar. It's pretty hard to miss. So the safety net would have been there. It sounds like you just didn't save it or cause 1Password to save it by filling it. But if there are additional details you're leaving out please let me know.

• LBrownell
    LBrownell
    Community Member

Lots of misunderstandings between us, apparently, I apologize for my lapses in comprehension. You'd said:

With a 1Password.com account, 1Password can save any (manually) unsaved changes to an item automatically when locking, since this is non-destructive (thanks to the item history feature, which would allow reverting the changes if it was a mistake). There isn't anything like that we can safely do with local vaults though since that could easily result in data loss, ironically, when the purpose would be to prevent it. :blush:

And I'd mentioned I do have a 1Password.com account. It wasn't apparent from the quote above that that only counts if you are creating the password in the context of having it auto-fill a website form. Apparently it does.

As for elaborating on what I meant about my Windows client not sync'ing, I did describe it, in that very message, thusly:

Another potentially confounding thing, this may have been during the time when 1password7 was not sync'ing on my Windows laptop. It gave no indication of this problem, except that I noticed that things I was looking for weren't there. I looked at the logs and saw the sync error; I added on to a forum thread where others had this problem; and finally, noted I resolved it by logging out and back in to 1password7 (!).

My Mac and Android apps showed that there were n items in our team vault, whereas the Windows app listed n-x -- IIRC, 10-20 fewer than the other two. The app gave no indication that there was a problem, but -- and I'm repeating myself here -- I looked at the logs and saw repeated sync failures. NOTE: ANOTHER ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: If sync'ing is failing, make it apparent in the UI. If you look thru your forums, you'll find at least one other post talking about this; if you search for me, you'll see me doing a +1, as to how I might rectify this failure. You'll also see I responded to my post, finding that logging out and back in solved it.

Preamble completed, what I'm saying is, if the recovery mechanism I incorrectly thought you were offering -- based on having a 1Password.com account -- was to work, I'd need to have created the password on a client that was actually capable of syncing back to your servers. Apparently, this isn't what you meant -- perhaps you meant I would have had to use 1Password.com to have created the password. Not clear.

All that said, we use 1Password daily, it's a great thing. This is definitely a case of PEBKAC, but I was holding out hope that somewhere, that password I generated would still be hiding out. Not so. Thanks for being patient.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LBrownell: Likewise, I wish I had a better answer for you in this case. 1Password.com can help a lot with data that's saved since it backs up automatically and retains item history (so you don't need to worry about saving a new password prematurely, for example: you can always revert the item if necessary)...but that only works if it is saved in the first place. I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

Preamble completed, what I'm saying is, if the recovery mechanism I incorrectly thought you were offering -- based on having a 1Password.com account -- was to work, I'd need to have created the password on a client that was actually capable of syncing back to your servers. Apparently, this isn't what you meant -- perhaps you meant I would have had to use 1Password.com to have created the password. Not clear.

Just to clarify, you wouldn't necessarily need to save the new password using the 1Password.com web interface. If you saved it in the native client, even if it could not sync, the data would be there locally for you to recover (and it would sync once it could connect to the server).

It isn't clear to me from your comments if you're still having trouble syncing, but if and when you do please generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#MMA-27147-798]

If you’re reading this and you are not LBrownell, this Support ID is for LBrownell only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks!

ref: MMA-27147-798

This discussion has been closed.