I purchased 1password from the Mac App store, but icloud sync is read only

Dave5150
Dave5150
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi gang, after a long hiatus away from 1password I decided to export my Lastpass logins and come back. So I downloaded it again from the App store (purchased it there I think 2 years ago) and on my iPhone. Well I created an iCloud vault and both see it fine... then I tried to import my LastPass csv into the Mac app but Import was greyed out. Then I noticed that it say "read only" in the corner. So what's going on here? Is there no way now to use the software I purchased without paying again for a subscription?

EDIT: I just looked it up in gmail, I purchased 1Password Mac app from the app store on 10/20/14, so 4 years ago. But same Apple ID etc. Let me know what else I can provide to help.

1Password Version: 7.21
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dave5150 - first of all, welcome back! :) I don't know how long you've been gone, but quite a bit has changed around here, though the core features remain the same. If you'll notice 1Password 7 for Mac is a new application in the Mac App Store, and it requires a new purchase. However, one of those changes I mentioned is that as of 1Password 7 for Mac, the Mac App Store version is 1Password membership-only. What is 1Password membership? Glad you asked -- it's the best way to use 1Password for most users.

If you know you want to stick with a standalone license, you'll need to delete the Mac App Store copy of 1Password 7 from your Mac. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then just drag the app to your Mac's trash. Then head over to our downloads page and get our version, install it, and you'll be able to purchase a license by clicking the Read Only banner in any of your 1Password items. It will pop up the following purchase screen; choose "Need a license? We have those too", and you'll be on your way:

Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• Dave5150
    Dave5150
    Community Member

I have a question. Why am I forced to subscribe after I already paid $50 for the stand alone app syncing with my own cloud solution (iCloud)? At the very least I should be able to download the standalone version from your site without being penalized and paying again. You did this because you felt it was best for “most users”? That’s pretty messed up. $50 down the drain. Back to LastPass.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dave5150 - the current version of 1Password for Mac is version 7. It's a new purchase for all users, unless you bought the previous version on or after March 27 of this year. You're not "forced to subscribe"; we have both 1Password memberships (subscriptions) and standalone licenses (which is why my example above illustrates the license purchase option, not the subscription). What's not available is a free upgrade from a license for the previous version to the new one.

To be clear, you're welcome to download the version you paid for - either from us or from the Mac App Store. To get the previous version (that you purchased) from the Mac App Store, you'd need to uninstall the one you have, then go to the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store and look for your 2014 purchase. You'd be installing version 6.8.9 when you do that. If you'd prefer to get it from us, you can visit our downloads page and scroll down to the "using an older computer" section near the bottom of the page, and you'll find a link to our version of 1Password 6 for Mac there. We can't recommend using a legacy version of 1Password as any kind of long-term solution, but our licenses never expire, so you're free to download and license the version you paid for on as many Macs as you like. Hope that helps! :)

• Dave5150
    Dave5150
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I'm not sure where to find the version I purchased on the Mac App store, as the only app that shows up is 1Password 7. So what you wrote in your first response was a bit misleading, you wrote " get our version, install it, and you'll be able to purchase a license by clicking the Read Only banner in any of your 1Password items" which suggested I would need to buy a license again. Good to know that I wouldn't need to do that, but still not enough to stick with 1Password. Very sad that you are forcing your users to conform to a subscription model even after they've purchased the software. I think about the expensive task manager app Things. I purchased that at version 1.0 and they haven't crippled it one bit, only improved it. It seems to me you could at least allow those users access to iCloud or Dropbox sync as it won't be taxing your servers. Thanks anyway guys.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dave5150

I'm not sure where to find the version I purchased on the Mac App store, as the only app that shows up is 1Password 7.

Apple only allows one version of an app for sale at a time in the Mac App Store, generally. From my previous reply:

To get the previous version (that you purchased) from the Mac App Store, you'd need to uninstall the one you have, then go to the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store.

To elaborate on that, open the Mac App Store on your Mac. You'll see a row of icons along the top. one of them (second from right, I believe) is called "Purchased" -- open that, and you'll be able to scroll through to find your previous purchase and click "Install" to the right, to install that legacy version of 1Password for Mac.

Very sad that you are forcing your users to conform to a subscription model even after they've purchased the software.

We're not - which is why I gave you the instructions you just quoted back to me about how to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac.

I'm really not sure what you're asking for: I've told you how to access your previous purchase of the legacy version of 1Password via the Mac App Store. I've also told you how to purchase a standalone license for the current version 7 directly from us, if you want the newest version. The only option that's not available to you (or anyone else) is installing the latest version of 1Password for Mac (version 7) and using it without paying anything. If that's your issue - that a full-version upgrade is not offered to you free of charge (which, by the way, the last two versions - 5 and 6 - of 1Password were), then I'd agree you should probably have a look at what else is available in the way of password managers. There are plenty out there, some are even freeware. Just don't use sticky notes or re-use your passwords. Stay safe out there! :)

This discussion has been closed.