Do I need to update my 1Password vault to OPVault format?

jace88
jace88
Community Member

I currently use 1Password across multiple platforms (Windows 10 laptop - running standalone 1Password 4, and current app versions on both iOS 11 and Android 8.1). The Android app is asking me to update to OPVault format as the current version is not compatible with 1Password 7.

I currently have no intention to upgrade to 1Password 7 since my current setup works marvellously for what I need (and I've already paid for the standalone licence for 1Password 4 as well as the Pro features on iOS).

Therefore do I need to update the database? And if not, is there a way to remove the pop up as it comes up everytime I open the app on Android!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password update vault android

Comments

• Hi @jace88. With 1Password 7, we're retiring support for the legacy Agile Keychain format in favor of our newer and more secure OPVault format. The OPVault format was introduced in 2012, and has been supported for sync on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac for several years now alongside the Agile Keychain format. However, it's only now that we're officially removing support for the Agile Keychain format, as it's not as secure.

So to clarify, the OPVault format is supported in 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 7 for iOS, so you can convert within your existing setup. You'll just need to make sure to sync your other devices with the new vault once it's created.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions!

• jace88
    jace88
    Community Member

I've done the migration on my Android device, but am not sure what I need to do/where to click on my Windows PC's and iPhone and iPad. Or if it was automatically updated through Dropbox? Is there a way to check?

• Thanks @jace88. On your iOS devices, you'll need to launch 1Password and go to Settings > Sync, then disable sync. Reenable sync after, and make sure to select the 1Password.opvault in Dropbox.

On Windows, launch 1Password and select File > Open Vault, then open the 1Password.opvault folder in Dropbox. Let us know how it goes!

• jace88
    jace88
    Community Member

Old thread but wanted to say it all worked out. I think the confusion came from it just 'working' which surprised me! It even made a backup in my Dropbox for me but some devices automatically detected the new one.

• @jace88 Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get everything sorted! :)

• whiteazn
    whiteazn
    Community Member

I have a much older version of 1Password (1.0.9.342). If I upgrade android, will it break my windows install?

• Hey @whiteazn. Can you please email us at support@1password.com? Thanks!

• MZ123
    MZ123
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I've got the same question as whiteazn does - same older version of 1Password for Windows. I got sick of my Android app nagging me to update every time I tried to use it, so I finally broke down and did so, and there seems to be no way to use the new vault format.

Also - just looked at upgrading the desktop version - and it seems to now be subscription-based versus a one-time purchase. Is that for real? If so, it may be time to move on.

• Hi @MZ123. Just to clarify, you're using 1Password version 1 on your Windows computer? When did you purchase the license for that?

1Password 7 for Windows supports both standalone licenses and subscriptions. It's a free upgrade with a subscription, but without one it will require a new license purchase. If you want to upgrade, please follow the steps here: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/

• MZ123
    MZ123
    Community Member

Yes - it's an old 1Password 1 version. I'm happy to purchase the new version for Windows, I just don't want to be stuck with a permanent ongoing fee.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MZ123: Sounds good. 1Password 7 should be able to import your existing data from the AgileKeychain fairly easily, but if you do run into any issues do to its age just let us know. We can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.