I have a new computer and am trying to download the 1password app.

Options

I have a new computer and am trying to download the 1password app. I think I have a family membership. The app version on my old computer is 4.6.2.626. I use the app and the Chrome plugin every day, so I need to get it working on the new computer. I downloaded the app, and it's asking me for signin address, email address, & secret key. I don't think i have any of those items. But I know I purchased a family membership years ago. I have a License key. Looks like I also have a UUID and a JSON. Should i sync via dropbox?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• dbkatt
    dbkatt
    Community Member
    Options

OS Version is Windows 10

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dbkatt,

Thanks for getting in touch! I am sorry you bumped into difficulties with 1Password.

First of all, it sounds like you used a standalone license with 1Password 4 for Windows, but then downloaded 1Password 7 for Windows on your new PC. 1Password 7 for Windows is a new purchase for the owners of 1Password 4 license, so if you are interested in using it, I would recommend you to sign up for 1Password account and migrate your existing data.

However, if you want to continue using 1Password 4 on your new Windows 10 computer, please try to do the following:

1) Open and unlock 1Password 4 on your PC, where you have your data in 1Password.

2) Go to File > Preferences > General > 1Password Vault > Move to Dropbox.

After that:

3) Uninstall 1Password 7 for Windows on your new computer.

4) Download and install 1Password 4 for Windows from here.

5) Launch it and select Used 1Password before. Point it to your vault in Dropbox.

6) Activate this copy of 1Password 4 using the license that you have.

Please note that 1Password 4 for Windows is an old app that will not receive new features in the future. That is why I would recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password accounts with all of their benefits. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• dbkatt
    dbkatt
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. I installed 1PW4 to my new computer. Thank you for the clear directions!
    I would now like to upgrade to 1PW7. The first step is to sign in on 1PW.com and it asks for a Secret Key. Since I have an old version, I don't think I have a secret key.

• dbkatt
    dbkatt
    Community Member
    Options

It seems I don't even have an account.

• MikeT
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @dbkatt,

We offer two separate 1Password products, a 1Password.com membership and a license for the 1Password version you want to use. A 1Password membership gives you access to all 1Password apps including web access to it at my.1Password.com, you never have to worry about future versions on any platforms as it's included as part of your 1Password plan, meaning no upgrade fees nor worrying about how to upgrade, it'll just be upgraded automatically. Your 1Password data is stored within your 1Password account which means you don't need to worry about syncing, backing up, and it includes secure cloud storage. To find out more, please read this: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

If you do not want to sign up for 1Password membership, you can skip the 1Password.com sign-in part, and just install 1Password 7 to buy a license for it inside the app. Here's our upgrade article: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/#upgrade-to-1password-7

To purchase the license in 1Password 7, go straight to 1Password Menu > Purchase a License, click the blue "Need a license? We have those too" link.

• dbkatt
    dbkatt
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm, i think you must not have read the previous portions of this thread b/c I already purchased a membership. It was years ago and i am currently using version 4. Are you saying that I would have to purchase another membership to use 1PW7?

• Hi @dbkatt,

I did read the whole conversation, 1Password.com only came out a few years ago and 1Password 4 never supported 1Password.com memberships, only standalone licenses. It is only 1Password 6/7 for Windows that started supporting it in addition to licenses.

If you were using 1Password 4 and/or license keys, you wouldn't have a 1Password.com account since it doesn't use licenses at all, your 1Password account is what unlocks the newer 1Password 7 apps.

As Greg mentioned, you would need a separate (new) purchase for 1Password 7 for Windows license, there is no free upgrade for 1Password 4 for Windows. You can either choose to buy a license for 1Password 7 or sign up for 1Password membership instead.

You can also choose to stick with 1Password 4 if you wish but we don't offer feature/improvements updates for that version anymore, only 1Password 7 will be getting new features and improvements for both standalone license and 1Password.com memberships.

If you believe you have signed up for 1Password.com subscription, can you confirm your forum profile has the same email address that you use for 1Password.com?

• dbkatt
    dbkatt
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks for explaining that. I will explore my options.

• You're welcome. If you have any questions or concerns, we're happy to answer any for you.

• dbkatt
    dbkatt
    Community Member
    Options

I've downloaded a new version of 1Password and am using it on the computer. How do I sync my new account with my old iPhone 1Password app?

• @dbkatt: You can find instructions to add you 1Password account to your iOS app here:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/?ios

You likely have 1Password 7 on iOS as well – it has been out for a while and was a free upgrade from 1Password 6, so you shoudn't have any updates to do. If you have a Primary vault on iOS, you'll want to delete that as well once you've added your account and it has synced up your data from your PC. To do so, unlock 1Password for iOS, then tap Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete vault. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.