want to use free version without a 30 day subscription [1Password is not a free offering]

Options
RandySea1
RandySea1
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Lounge

I just downloaded 1Password. When I started it up, my only choice was a trial subscription. At least to start, I only want to test out the free version for a while. I particularly don't want any of my logins or passwords stored online.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RandySea1: I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password is not free. It's a paid software product. That's the only way there's anyone here to make it or answer questions about it. You can try it for free for 30 days — hence the 30 day trial — but it isn't sustainable for us to make stuff without charging for it.

Regarding "passwords stored online", that's not really how 1Password works. Everything is encrypted locally on your device with "keys" that only you have access to. Only encrypted data is ever sent to and stored on the server, and the keys to decrypt it are never transmitted to us. So only you have the means to decrypt your data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• RandySea1
    RandySea1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read in reviews that 1P was free if online storage was not used. I certainly respect your need to charge for the product.

Personally, I do not store any confidential info online if I can avoid it, particularly account numbers and passwords. That is even if I can encrypt them locally first.

Is it an option with 1P not to store online, just locally?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RandySea1: Yep. I think it makes 1Password considerably less useful to have data on a single device, or have to transfer it manually, but local ("standalone") vaults are supported right along with 1Password.com accounts. :)

This discussion has been closed.