To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I remove the duplicates?

Hallstrom
Hallstrom
Community Member

Converted from license to family membership. I only have mine set up right now. Everything in vault is duplicated. How do I remove the duplicates? Would like to do this before adding family members.

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox ?
Referrer: forum-search:Converted from license to family membership. Now everything in vault is duplicated.

Comments

• Hey @Hallstrom, in order to remove any duplicates, switch to the vault containing your duplicates and then click Help > Tools > Cleanup Duplicate Items.

Let us know how that goes!

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

Unable to find a help>tools>cleanup duplicate items. I'm feeling pretty out of it with this. How does the membership using the website sync with other devices? With the license you used Dropbox. Is that still going on?

• Hi @Hallstrom

1Password 7 for Mac should have that option... can you please confirm that you’re running 1Password 7? Another possible situation here is that you haven’t deleted the old “Primary” vault yet — if that still exists you’re likely to see a duplicate for every item you have. You can read about how to remove that here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

1Password membership based vaults are synced via 1Password.com which is a 1st party solution. It is not synced via a 3rd party service like Dropbox. One of the advantages of this is that we have tailored the service to 1Password, instead of just being a generic file storage solution.

Ben

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

Yes, 1Password 7. Just obtained membership from license. Struggling to set up on my computer and iPhone before attempting family members. There are 3 vaults. Private, shared and primary.

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

I opened the link. Successful in deleting the Primary vault from my iPhone. Unable to delete from MacBookAir. I open 1Password but unable to find link that lets me choose the Primary vault.

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

Do I need to install a new extension in Safari?

• @Hallstrom,

I’m very sorry for the delay. The same extension that works with 1Password 6 will also work with 1Password 7. In 1Password 7 for Mac you can eliminate the Primary vault by opening 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and unchecking “Allow vaults outside 1Password accounts.” Once you do so 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of your 1Password account.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

I am unable to find 1Password > Preferences. I have tried all kinds of things to find Preferences with no success.
    As far as my question regarding extensions: I have never before been a membership subscriber. I had a license. I have no idea whether had 1Password 6 with a license. Did I? I do know that 1Password does not work with the same ease for me that it did with a license. Before I inflict this on other members of my family, I am trying to get my own computer working well with it.

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

I just opened Safari > Preferences > extensions. There is 1Password 4.7.1 Nothing else.

• I am unable to find 1Password > Preferences. I have tried all kinds of things to find Preferences with no success.

Sorry about that, @Hallstrom. When you open the 1Password app on your Mac, you'll see "1Password" or "1Password 7" next to the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen. When you click that, you'll see a menu option labeled "Preferences". Click that, and the Preferences window will open. On the far right of the window is the tab labeled "Advanced".

I have no idea whether had 1Password 6 with a license. Did I?

If you were using 1Password 6 without a membership, then you either had a license or you'd purchased it from the Mac App Store. But this doesn't matter much now since you have the membership.

I do know that 1Password does not work with the same ease for me that it did with a license.

I'm sorry to hear that! Could you explain what isn't working well for you recently?

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

Open 1Password app on your Mac.

Not sure what we are talking about here. I go to Hallstrom.1Password.com and log into my account on the web. Is that what you mean? If so, when I do that I would also expect to see 1Password up next to the Apple symbol. That is where I would look to find Preferences. But the 1Password is not there. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIND 1Password > Preferences.

That is the reason I asked someone previously whether the membership using the website uses extensions on the Safari browser like the license did. I was wondering if it needed to be updated and if so how you did that. That person started asking me about 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 being the same for extensions. But really did not answer my question about whether I am ok with the extension I have or whether that is why 1Password does not show up next the Apple symbol when I login online. If it means anything, when I click on Safari > Preferences and go to extensions it indicates that I have 1Password 4.7.1. Whatever that means.

Is the 1Password app something different than the Hallstrom.1Password.com membership account?

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

I'm sorry to hear that! Could you explain what isn't working well for you recently?

I am trying to get my laptop and my iPhone coordinated and working with 1Password. My phone seems to be working. The laptop not so much. I am reluctant to try and change a password since the first time I tried on my laptop it appeared to work but it failed to actually record the new password in 1Password. There are also the duplicates (problem above). I am trying to stay simple and work out one problem at a time.

• Hi, @Hallstrom.

I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password.com is not the same as 1Password for Mac. Just like you have the 1Password app on your iPhone, you can download the 1Password app for your Mac too. These apps will connect to your 1Password.com account, but they also let you access your data even if you don't have an Internet connection.

If you don't have it already, download 1Password for Mac here: https://1password.com/downloads/

Once you've downloaded it, run the installer to install 1Password on your Mac. Then, you'll find 1Password in your Applications folder. Open the app, and let me know what you see.

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

Hurray!!! The app was there. When I went to download and install, I noticed that it indicated 1Password 7 was already installed. Used Finder to go to Applications folder and found it. Immediately found Preferences and deleted the old Primary vault. The duplicates are now gone. So I went to the first login in my vault which had a weak password to use that as an experiment to be sure things are working properly. Went to the website for that login and signed in. Only way I seemed to be able to do that was by copy & paste the user id and password. Signed in and opened account and began procedure to change password. At that point hit a wall. I am accustomed to seeing a password generator and ability to set length, how many letters, how many Cap letters and how many symbols. There was no generator. I am now unable to determine how to create passwords.

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

There is a small 1Password icon on the horizontal toolbar across top on line that Apple icon and Safari are located. When I opened that I noticed it had Password Generator. So I used that with the account mentioned above. Went to account website and signed in and went thru procedure to change password. Used the Password Generator in the small 1Password icon at the top and created password. Account confirmed that password changed. Now there is a bigger problem. When I opened my iPhone to be sure that new password was there I found that it was NOT there. The old weak password was still listed. So I went back to the computer and opened 1Password app. Same thing. The new password was NOT there either. The old weak password was still listed. So now I am locked out of that account (which is not a big thing since I have not used the services in awhile). I searched under password folder to find a password created for today's date and none there. The 1Password 7 app and its workings are proving to be very difficult to get set up and figure out how it works. So I do not know why this is not working. I will bring up again only for that reason: does the extension need to be changed? Previously someone told me here that Dropbox is no longer used and nothing needs to be set up there, is that correct?

• Hallstrom
    Hallstrom
    Community Member

If you are trying to help, please read all previous messages to understand the totality of my problems. I have 21 days left to decide if I keep 1Password or move on to something else. I have been a 1Password user with a license directly from 1Password since about 2012 or 2013. I found it very useful and easy to use. I decided to try the membership subscription and chose the family subscription so that others in family could also use and help keep things we all share secure. I am finding almost any new task I attempt to have roadblocks or problems. I literally do not know what I am doing. Nothing seems intuitive. I will give an example: if you look at comments above you will find that I had no idea that the membership included a website account AND a 1Password app. After installing 1Password, the app was hidden from view. I needed to know of its existence and need, and then could go looking for it.
    I am now finding that I cannot even create passwords. The Password Generator that I am accustomed to using with the license is nowhere to be found. It is either hidden somewhere I have not found yet or it does not exist and there is another way to create passwords. I can simply foresee that situations like this will keep coming. Its very frustrating. Is there a user manual? Perhaps a setup guide and user guide? I am not even going to invite other family until I am confident we can use the program with some sort of confidence.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I'm just a fellow user, so I can't go through all of your questions before answering one of them:

I am now finding that I cannot even create passwords. The Password Generator that I am accustomed to using with the license is nowhere to be found.

There are two places to find the password generator. First, if you want to see it alone, not associated with amy record you are creating or editing, click on the `1Password icon in the menu bar and then on Password Generator in the resulting screen. Like this:

If you are creating a record in the main application or editing an existing record, while you are in Edit mode, you will see a little blue gear to the right of the password field. Click that gear. Like this:

Regarding a setup guide, I just went to the 1Password support site and searched for Setup. I got a list of things to help there. Here is the URL:
    https://support.1password.com/search/?q=setup

• Hi, @Hallstrom.

Quick question:

I am accustomed to seeing a password generator and ability to set length, how many letters, how many Cap letters and how many symbols.

Where are you accustomed to seeing this? It almost sounds like you don't have the browser extension installed, but you mentioned that you did.

It may be easier for me to help if you could provide a diagnostics report. This guide will explain how to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/92037/how-do-i-remove-the-duplicates
    • Your forum username: Hallstrom

That way I can connect the dots when I see your diagnostics in the inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and get back to you. :)

Thanks!

• veruska
    veruska
    Community Member

I see the option under help/tools/cleanup duplicated items but it is greyed out. Is it because I am running the trial version?

• Hi, @veruska.

That tool only works in one vault at a time. So if you have "All Vaults" selected in the top left corner of the window, click that and select a specific vault to clean up duplicates. I'm sorry for the confusion there. It could definitely be clearer.

• veruska
    veruska
    Community Member

Understood. Thank your for the explanation.

Two more questions:

I never had to deal with 2 vaults after an upgrade. I don’t know why it happened this time. But since it did, how do I know which one is the latest so that I can delete the other? Where do I see the date of each vault?

Also, my previous license used to allow 4 computers and I prefer that way instead of paying for it monthly. Can I do it? How?

• It sounds like you may have a 1Password membership now, in addition to an old vault. With the membership, you can use 1Password on as many devices as you want. You don't have to mess with separate purchases. You can also change from monthly billing to annual billing to save money.

If you'd like me to take a look at your setup to figure out why there are two vaults and how to fix it, I'd be happy to do so. First, create a diagnostics report from your Mac, as described in this guide:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Then attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID.  Post that ID here so I can track down the diagnostics and get back to you quickly. :)

• veruska
    veruska
    Community Member

Thank you for your offer to check my setup. I definitely need your support on that. Working on the instructions you sent me.
    What I meant about my previous license was that I used it in different profiles (My daughter and I share the same iMac with different profiles, hence different vaults in different dropbox backups). It seems to me that monthly or annual billings won’t allow me that option anymore).

• veruska
    veruska
    Community Member

Here is the support ID: [#CEB-46243-373]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just to clarify, It's absolutely possible to use separate OS user account profiles with a 1Password.com membership. Each user will have their own 1Password setup in that case, like they can with their browser, Desktop, etc.

Anyway, I see that Oliver is already in touch with you via email, so we'll continue th conversation there. :)

ref: CEB-46243-373

• JohnnyHandsome
    JohnnyHandsome
    Community Member

Well, I had hundreds of duplicates resulting of having imported by mistake a legacy vault on Dropbox. I realised they all had the same tag "1Password Keychain Import 28-05-2019". So, I selected all item with such tag and deleted them. Of course, I made a backup first... It seems to have resulted. I hope this helps.

• Thanks for the update @JohnnyHandsome :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.