How can I download older versions of the 1Password Extension?

potatoman
potatoman
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

I currently have 1Password 6 on my mac, and have paid for it's license. It has been working great for me until recently. I constantly use it and it's safari extension. However recently I tried to install it's firefox extension, which then requested I download 1Password 7, which I did. 1Password 7 is not free however, and I can't currently afford either the upfront payment for a license, nor the recurring monthly fee for a subscription (Please don't try to convince me to upgrade now, I may in the future when I have more income if I continue to have a good experience with 1Password as I largely have until now).

The problem is that upon installing the free version of 1Password 7, It replaced not only the firefox extension, but the safari extension as well! It also replaces the menu bar widget until I manually quit 1Password 7 and reopen 1Password 6. Thus it has removed previously available functionality making it very difficult to access my passwords, practically acting as ransomware. How can I download the old version (the latest version that works with 1Password 6) of the Safari and Firefox extensions so I can continue using 1Password as normal?

1Password Version: 6.8.8, 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How can I download older versions of the 1Password extension?

Comments

• Hi potatoman,

You can download old versions of the browser extensions here:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

• harrybailey
    harrybailey
    Community Member

I came here from Google with the same issue, and the link above is pretty baffling unless you know a fair bit about browser development.

Turns out that I had the 1Password X extension instead of the normal one (sigh) installed.

To resolve, I:

Opened firefox preferences => extensions / addons and removed '1Password X'
    Install the firefox addon via this page https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

It's too late for potatoman but the companion extension, how I refer to the extension that works with 1Password 4-7 and doesn't require a 1Password account, can always be downloaded from our "Downloads - 1Password" page. While Safari is listed as "Included with 1Password 7" to the side is a link for the 1Password 6 Safari extension in Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.

A couple of things are worth noting. Chrome extensions can only be installed via the Chrome store and they only allow the current version. The same holds true for Safari and while it is possible to download an older version of a Firefox extension I can't think of a scenario where it would be recommended.

I have seen a few people find the 1Password X extension when they needed the companion extension. We do realise two extensions generates confusion and so we do eventually want to have it where you only need one and it's always the result you find no matter where you search. We're not there yet but it is our goal.

This discussion has been closed.