Concatenate Password with Onetime Password

balvenie
balvenie
Community Member
edited January 2019 in iOS

Hi there

Using 1PW for years now and just activated OTP today.

My use case:
I'd like to authenticate a VPN connection on iPad. So I need a password concatenated string + . Since today I have the OTP within 1PW :-), but I couldn't find a possibility to copy the password and the OTP in one step. Copying one after the other results in timeouts, since I have only 30sec till a new OTP will be generated.

Did I miss how to copy + in ONE CLICK or is this feature really missing?

Sincerely
balvenie

ref: apple-2993

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.5.3 (653001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search: otp

Comments

• Hi @balvenie ,

Can you clarify your request a bit? If you copy them both concatenated, how would you enter them separately in your VPN? They'd paste together as one big value.

Also, the TOTP is usually one minute, and most systems will have a grace period of the previous and next TOTP. Have you tried to see if you do get timeouts?

Regards,
    Kevin

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply,

There's no need to enter them separately. For VPN authentication I need:

User Name
    Password (which is built out of password + OTP)

Both parts are available in 1PW and I need them concatenated.

Would you please add a copy function in 1PW iOS and Mac which is copying them concatenated?

• I see. Thanks for the suggestion @balvenie. That is not a very common scenario, but if there is a demand for it we can certainly take it into consideration. At present you'd need to copy and paste each separately.

Ben

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member

Hi Ben

Well, this scenario is relevant for all Sophos VPN users for example. I personally know several professional and private people, which would highly appreciate to have a concatenated copy function in 1PW. There are btw other requests for this feature in your forum, as I had realized now. So hopefully you'll give this feature more attention for the future, since it should really not be a big issue to implement it, but deliver great benefit for us users of 1Password.

Looking forward for future updates... :-)

Sincerely
    balvenie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly something we can consider. Thanks for your kind words and support! :chuffed:

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member

Hi there

Any news about to generate a string based on "password + OTP" directly in 1PW?

Especially on iOS it's very annoying to only be able to copy the password OR the OTP. A combined string would highly simplify VPN logins on iOS devices. It should be quite simple to implement this feature I guess.

Sincerely
    balvenie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@balvenie: It's something we'll continue to consider for the future, but it isn't something we're working on at this time. First and foremost, we need to focus our efforts on things that will make the biggest difference for the greatest number of people. Even though it sounds like it would really help you, there just hasn't been a lot of interest in something like this.

• marc_s
    marc_s
    Community Member

+1 for concatenating password + OTP

I am a big fan of 1Password, using it on all of my devices for many years to store my secrets. Currently i am struggling with the same issue as @balvenie. To authenticate my VPN, I am required to enter my password concatenated with my OTP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! Perhaps we'll be able to do something like that in the future. :)

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member

Hi there

Today 1PW 6.8 (iOS) is out. :-) Since I read, that this versions addresses One-time password improvements, I was very curious and installed it promptly, even if it's risky while being abroad.

Unfortunately, this update does not solve the mentioned need. — Did you ever try to set up an iOS/Cisco VPN session? While you're doing this you realize, that you have to manually copy the password and pasting it in the iOS VPN dialog and additionally you have to add the OTP. So you have remember the OTP and entering it separately.

That's why I would highly like to see the mentioned use case implemented:
    A copy Funktion, which concatenates the password + the OTP.

Is this still in your backlog or was 6.8 the solution for the mentioned feature request?

• @balvenie,

6.8's solution is strictly as it relates to filling on web pages. Upon successfully filling a login/password with a login item that has a TOTP code, it will copy that code to the clipboard.

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@balvenie: Just to clarify, while we offer a 1Password extension for iOS, it isn't something we can build into other apps ourselves. Their developers will need to add support for it. Otherwise it is necessary to copy and paste.

In this case, if they supported that, you could have 1Password fill your regular login credentials, at which point your TOTP code would be copied to the clipboard, so you could then paste it at the end of the password.

We have a website devoted to the 1Password extension for developers, so be sure to let them know you'd like them to add support for it and point them in our direction. We're always happy to help them join the ranks of apps that support the 1Password iOS extension. Cheers! :)

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member

Well, thanks @rudy and @brenty for your replies. But I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

The request concerns an Apple iOS dialog and whether I nor you will probably be able to influence an iOS change ;-)

But there a very pragmatic and simple to implement solution. In the context menu of 1Password we need in addition to 'copy pw' an additional option, which copies both together in one string: password + OTP

Do you have this feature request in your backlog?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, thanks @rudy and @brenty for your replies. But I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The request concerns an Apple iOS dialog and whether I nor you will probably be able to influence an iOS change ;-)

@balvenie: Aha! Thanks for clarifying. Since you mentioned VPN login I'd thought you'd be using an app for that. You're right that we're probably not going to be able to get Apple to integrate 1Password with system settings. :blush:

But there a very pragmatic and simple to implement solution. In the context menu of 1Password we need in addition to 'copy pw' an additional option, which copies both together in one string: password + OTP
    Do you have this feature request in your backlog?

We have a lot of feature and enhancement requests from 1Password users, and while this is something we may be able to do down the road, what I said earlier in this discussion still stands and likely will for all time:

First and foremost, we need to focus our efforts on things that will make the biggest difference for the greatest number of people.

Now, it may be that this becomes a more popular request over time, or that it moves up the priority list as we complete other work. We'll have to continue to evaluate this and other requests in light of the other things we need to spend our time on.

• SkiBum
    SkiBum
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Count me as another user that would like this feature. I use USAA with their CyberCode Token and it requires that you enter your password as a concatenation of a known PIN and the TOTP generated password.

• Thanks for the feedback, @SkiBum. :)

Ben

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member

Hi all

Just downloaded the brand new 1Password 7 for iOS. Due to the advertised "Quick Copy, a new, faster way to get information from 1Password into the places you need it." I hoped to find finally a concatenation for PIN and TOTP. It seems, that we are very close to what we need. :-)

But if I select the PIN and TOTP by the new grey box dialogs, both are marked purple, but only the secondly marked TOTP will be copied to the clipboard and not a concatenated combination of both.

Is this what the current release should do or am I doing something wrong?

• Hi @balvenie,

The feature does not offer concatination but does make it quicker to access (copy) common fields. :)

Ben

• balvenie
    balvenie
    Community Member

@Ben Ok, thanks for your feedback, Ben. Hopefully concatenation is still on the featurelist, since it would be a very small step to archive this with the current version 7. - Yes, we will be furthermore patient...

• cloin
    cloin
    Community Member

+1 for catted pin + otp. Two factor SAML, and VPN clients can be setup to require pin + otp

• :+1: :)

Ben

• sheurich
    sheurich
    Community Member

+1 for concatenation with the option to prepend or append the otp. This is useful in many VPN implementations and, in my particular use-case, OPNsense authentication.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know! :)

• Ritte
    Ritte
    Community Member

Hi, i signed up just to let you know that this would be really great to have. I'd also need it for VPN-purpose.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know it's a feature you'd like us to add. :)

• dpcleitao
    dpcleitao
    Community Member

Same for me as above. My company uses a VPN that has this requirement and we require all team members to use this VPN for specific access. It would actually help with adoption of 1Password at the company if this was a supported use case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think that's standard for VPNs (none of the 6 I use do that), but it's good to know that you'd like us to add that feature. :)

• cdambo
    cdambo
    Community Member

Hi, just adding in here, one VPN I use also uses the combo of pass + OTP
    Would love to see this feature :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cdambo: Have you tried pasting? Since 1Password automatically copies the TOTP code to the clipboard, and almost always can leave the password field focused, you could just paste it there at the end after the password is filled. ;)

• cdambo
    cdambo
    Community Member

@brenty I think it only auto copies the otp if the login form was auto filled by 1Password.

In this case, I am ‘manually’ copying the password because I am not in the browser. I don’t think 1Password supports auto filling native app dialogs in Mac OS, but I could be wrong.

This discussion has been closed.