Vault location in 1Password X

Options
joseignacio
joseignacio
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi.
I use Linux and I just migrated from a standalone licence 1Password 4 to an annual licence using only 1Password X (I use Mac at work, but I prefer don't use 1Password desktop app and access only with 1Password X from all my devices).
When I used the standalone license the vault was saved in my dropbox. My question is: where is my vault being stored now that I only use 1Password X? Could I save it in dropbox again? How I do it?

Thank you.

_1Password Version: 1Password X
_Extension Version: 1.10.4
_OS Version: Linux
_Sync Type: I don't know

Comments

• Welcome to the forums, @joseignacio! 👋

1Password X receives all of it's data from the 1Password.com servers. To make sure things are super fast and work while offline, 1Password X keeps a local copy of all your items. So to answer your question, your encrypted data is kept on our servers as well as stored locally on your devices for performance.

There is no option to store your data on Dropbox. We developed a custom sync solution that 1Password X relies upon to make things faster and more secure. For example, our servers require a secure session to be created using Secure Remote Password before clients are able to connect to it. This allows the server to verify clients, but equally important clients are able to verify the server before exchanging data.

I hope that helps. Take care and enjoy your weekend!

++dave;

• joseignacio
    joseignacio
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for your response, Dave!

It is not a problem for me that the vault can't be stored in Dropbox. I just wanted to know where it is stored. I understand that your servers will be safe and our vaults will be safe :)

But I still have a couple of doubts:

• You say that a local copy is also stored. I understand you mean in my computer, right? Where is that copy?
    • How can I get a copy of my vault, either in 1password format, in csv, etc?

Thank you again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @joseignacio,

For 1Password X the local copy is an encrypted database inside of the browser profile. To export a 1Password account vault I believe you would need to use the likes of 1Password for Mac though which would allow you to export everything but Document items in a plaintext 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file. I think you can export in CSV as well but its a horrible format for this type of data so I can't recommend it at all.

• joseignacio
    joseignacio
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much, @littlebobbytables.

I wanted to manage my 1Password account only from Linux environment but It's ok... I guess I will not have to make copies of my vault very often.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! And keep in mind that you don't need to: with a 1Password.com account, all of your encrypted data is automatically backed up offsite, and you also have access to item history if you make a change you regret. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.