Notifications - mixed blessing

Bill.
Bill.
Community Member

Notifications, though sometimes useful, can also be an annoyance, particularly in a family account with shared users. Assume a simple example of husband and wife. Some items are great to share, but individually neither may want to see a list containing the other's passwords. So, there is a husband folder, a wife folder, and a shared folder. Wanting to so avoid seeing the entire list of shared stuff, which one of us might only want rare/occasional access to, password data is copied, not moved, into the shared folder. With the current version of 1Password, this results in an annoying notification not to use the same passwords, when there is a deliberate reason to have duplicates in two different folders. A simpler example is with Apple. There is one Apple page for the store and another Apple page for the iCloud webpage. Each requires the same Apple password. Do we really need to see notifications not to use the same password. In general, it would be nice if notification messages could be optionally hidden from each 1Password login entry.

If there is an easy remedy for not showing unwanted notifications, I missed it, and apologies in advance if I'm not seeing the situation correctly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bill.: I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what "notifications" you're referring to. The only notifications I can think of from 1Password are when it automatically copies a TOTP code when filling a login, or when there is a problem with sync that causes it to be disabled:

If you mean Watchtower notices within specific items, those really aren't notifications, and certainly don't pop up out of nowhere: you should only see those when viewing the item.

But 1Password should absolutely tell you about reused passwords. It has no way of knowing if you happen to have a good reason for doing so, but your example doesn't seem to offer any good reason at all. For Apple IDs, why not just have a single login using the same credentials, just with multiple URLs saved for iCloud, apple.com, etc. as needed? Bam! No duplicates! And in the case of stuff you want to share...why not just have a single copy of that item in one place — the shared vault — and leave it at that? That way you also don't need to remember to update multiple copies when you make any changes. Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.