2 Firefox plugins - are they both real?

Options

There are 2 Firefox plugins I've seen:
1Password extension (desktop app required)
and
1Password X - Password Manager

Are they both real? Why are there 2? The former is by Agile Bits - the latter by 1Password

This is very confusing and very alarming - if either is fake I'm totally screwed. If they are real YOU MUST explain why there are 2 and what is going on in the descriptions.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2 firefox plugins - are they both real?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@niico: Sorry for the confusion there. We are AgileBits, the makers of 1Password.

The 1Password desktop extension is older and, like the name says, works with our native desktop apps:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Since it sounds like you're using 1Password for Windows, you can use that.

Additionally, our newer "self-contained" (i.e. no native desktop app required) extension, 1Password X, is available too:

Get to know 1Password X

That's designed to work in environments where people can't or don't want to install apps: Linux, Chrome OS, work computers, etc.

Either is a good option. I can't vouch for the legitimacy of whatever you're specifically referring to, sight unseen, and not knowing where you got it from. But if you install our software from an official source — either from us directly or through the OS/browser's storefront — you're good.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• niico
    niico
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. This really needs to be explained when downloading the extensions.

Also it seems the extension is better for users who have the app and login to it - that means you don't need to login to again in the browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It really depends on the person. I don't disagree with you, but I can't imagine how we'd "explain" this at the point of download. Most people just don't read. But we're always here to answer any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.