Sharing password is very difficult

aegos
aegos
Community Member

I am using 1 password. I encourage my bro and 2 of my partners to do the same.

Now, I want to share some password

1. I need to create a vault.
  2. The vault have it's own password.
  3. When I create a vault it asks where do I want to store the vault. Wait a minute. What's wrong with in the same folder with the original vault?

Actually where does 1password store my main vault anyway?

I think it's too complicated.

What am I missing?

Why can't I just have my shared vault to automatically open for me every time I open 1password.

Is another password management this complicated?

What about lastpass?

Can I store my vault's password in 1 password? Is this somehow integrated? Can my partners change the vault's password? Where can I learn more about this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member

It seems that I can easily create a vault in web interface. Creating a vault from the program is a big issue. I wonder why

• Chris_Journal
    Chris_Journal
    Community Member

I want to share some of my passwords with family but not move them out of my vault to another. Trying to find out how to do this. Would be nice to simply check passwords from a list to select and them indicate with whom. Current system is too complicated so I simply email the PWs over.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

so I simply email the PWs over.

Mail is sent over the internet in plain text; this is a pretty dangerous thing to do.

I hope you are already aware of this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aegos: I think you're confusing yourself unnecessarily by creating so many different threads and also commenting in others, but I'll give it my best shot to help. :)

1Password stores all of its data in an internal database, which is more efficient, but if you sync a local vault with a folder (like Dropbox), you'll also have a sync'd copy saved there which is updated. Local vaults are not involved with 1Password.com accounts at all.

You can create vaults easily in the 1Password.com web interface if you're using an account, or local vaults within the app if you're using those. With 1Password for Mac version 7 though, we've made it possible to create 1Password.com account vaults within the app as well. You can do that from the Vault menu by selecting your account there.

It's also easy to share vaults with members of your 1Password Families (or Teams/Business) account. Each person has their own 1Password.com account with a Master Password they choose. Local vaults can be shared via Dropbox, and will have a specific Master Password which you'd set for them, but then you'd have to give others your password in order fo them to be able to access it. 1Password.com accounts do not have passwords for individual vaults, and others cannot change your account's password.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris_Journal: You should really check out 1Password Families. It's actually really easy, since a shared vault only needs to be setup once — not configured by each person on each device to sync:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

This discussion has been closed.