Unable to import Splash ID contents from Mac version to 1Password Mac version

Options
WayneGS
WayneGS
Community Member

I have Splash ID 7.0.+ and exported into vid and csv format and when I try to import into 1Password 7 it says no data are in the files. I looked at the instructions which gave the 7.2.2 as the mac version and as I tried to upgrade I have now lost access to the Splash ID

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: none installed
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Unable to import Splash ID contents from Mac version to 1Password Mac version

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WayneGS: I'm not sure what you mean by "lost access", but that's probably not something we can help with if it's outside of 1Password. Anyway, I believe you'll need to export to the VID format, as outlined in the import guide. I can't guarantee that will work, since...well, what goes in is what comes out, and there isn't always good data for 1Password to work with in the first place. But you may also find @MrC ’s converter to be useful, if you need to get it into 1Password's native 1PIF format instead to get the results you want. Either way, let me know what you find!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Options

@WayneGS

Make a copy of your VID file. Can you open the copy in a text editor and clearly see/read your data?

I suggest making the copy, so that you don't accidentally write / modify the original VID file.

If you cannot read it (because it is a sequence of undecipherable characters), then this would mean you supplied a password during the export of your data to that VID file, and no program but SplashID can do anything with it.

If that's the case, and you only have a CSV file, I'll help you from there...

• WayneGS
    WayneGS
    Community Member
    Options

THanks for your help. I found many numbers and letters that individually were cipherable but did not make sense. When I imported it into 1Password the letters were recognizable but didn
    t make sense. I was able to download to a .csv file but it often read that no content is seen

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Options

@WayneGS ,

The following procedure may save you a lot of time. SplashID's export leaves a lot to be desired.

Re-install SplashID 7, which you can access here: http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/download/standalone.htm

Once installed, launch this version of the app. You should be able to do this.

You can than do a File > Import and select VID data as the option, and then find your SplashID exported VID data. It will ask you for the password you supplied during the Export. Once your records are imported, you can then re-export your data as VID Select All records when the dialog asks, but DO NOT supply a password (or the file will again be encrypted and unreadable).

If the VID import / export does not work, try using SplashID 7 to import your exported CSV data, and then re-export as VID (again, no password).

If your VID export works, you can now try 1Password's SplashID import. Alternatively, there is a splashid converter which will likely give you better results. It is in part of the converter suite. If you are interested, we'll go from here. The key thing is to see if we can get your VID data in an un-encrypted format, since there is a bit more information in it (vs. the CSV, which, if you have to use that format will be some work).

This discussion has been closed.